Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2024 at 8:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to change texture sizes?
I already did everything available to combat the pink flashing. I still have it after loading several lots because the memory can‘t handle it. I heard that you can shrink the texture sizes in SimPE so that the game runs more smoothly and that makes perfect sense. Is there any kind of toturial on how to do that? I can‘t find a complete guide. Or is it obvious when you try it on SimPE what to do?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Aug 2024 at 3:14 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Aug 2024 at 3:35 PM.
You have to do it individually to each file (just so you're aware).

The quick explanation is that you extract the texture, shrink it to the next size down (with a program that can resize textures with as little quality loss as possible - Gimp, Photoshop, etc.), always to the power of 2 (2048x2048 --> 1024x1024 --> 512x512), save as PNG, and reimport with DXT, preferably with DXT3 or 5 depending on the texture. You will need the Nvidia DDS utilities for this.

I think most retexturing tutorials and even some meshing tutorials show how to do this (I have a quick texture-replacing tutorial here that shows the steps of extracting and reimporting - you can skip the retexturing step, and you can save the file directly unless you want to keep the original file too)

---

Most objects will look fine with a size smaller, and won't show any problems from having resized textures.

It can also work for hair and accessories, especially for 3t2/4t2 conversions. If you're shrinking a texture larger than 1024x1024 it's usually fine.

Clothes, makeup/eyes/etc., and anything else that overlays skin needs to be 1024x1024 (body) and 512x512 (head, face, toddler body) in most cases. For clothes with bump maps, resizing textures can cause problems with the bump map glowing (texture and bump map need to be the same size, and same size as skin they're overlaying).

And because I've seen it mentioned as a step in a few tutorials - don't use the "Update all sizes" option for items with mipmaps (several smaller texture maps). Some tutorials mention this as a step, but it's only needed for when you use the regular "import" function (which gives a worse result than DXT). It can cause texture irregularities when used with the DXT option. DXT auto-updates all sizes, so you shouldn't have to worry about this one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2024 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You have to do it individually to each file (just so you're aware).

The quick explanation is that you extract the texture, shrink it to the next size down (with a program that can resize textures with as little quality loss as possible - Gimp, Photoshop, etc.), always to the power of 2 (2048x2048 --> 1024x1024 --> 512x512), save as PNG, and reimport with DXT, preferably with DXT3 or 5 depending on the texture. You will need the Nvidia DDS utilities for this.

I think most retexturing tutorials and even some meshing tutorials show how to do this (I have a quick texture-replacing tutorial here that shows the steps of extracting and reimporting - you can skip the retexturing step, and you can save the file directly unless you want to keep the original file too)

---

Most objects will look fine with a size smaller, and won't show any problems from having resized textures.

It can also work for hair and accessories, especially for 3t2/4t2 conversions. If you're shrinking a texture larger than 1024x1024 it's usually fine.

Clothes, makeup/eyes/etc., and anything else that overlays skin needs to be 1024x1024 (body) and 512x512 (head, face, toddler body) in most cases. For clothes with bump maps, resizing textures can cause problems with the bump map glowing (texture and bump map need to be the same size, and same size as skin they're overlaying).

And because I've seen it mentioned as a step in a few tutorials - don't use the "Update all sizes" option for items with mipmaps (several smaller texture maps). Some tutorials mention this as a step, but it's only needed for when you use the regular "import" function (which gives a worse result than DXT). It can cause texture irregularities when used with the DXT option. DXT auto-updates all sizes, so you shouldn't have to worry about this one.

Thank you very much!