4 people viewing
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#251 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 3:22 PM
Looking at it closer, it really does look like Belle with Betty's mouth, and Betty's hair colour.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#252 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 5:08 PM Last edited by kenoi : 24th Jul 2024 at 5:28 PM.
Here you go. Cover girl is now a part of the game.

I've included the Photoshop project file (PSD) in the download package (ZIP), so you can see how I did it.

(She was made up of C015FAmed_belle with the mouth from C006FAmed_deb, and Betty's hair colour, from C001FAlgt_Shannon01.)
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  C015FAmed_covergirl.zip (113.3 KB, 11 downloads)
Test Subject
#253 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kenoi
Here you go. Cover girl is now a part of the game.

I've included the Photoshop project file (PSD) in the download package (ZIP), so you can see how I did it.

(She was made up of C015FAmed_belle with the mouth from C006FAmed_deb, and Betty's hair colour, from C001FAlgt_Shannon01.)

Oh my god thanks a lot Kenoi, she looks amazing.
You did great
Field Researcher
#254 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 10:19 AM
In The Sims, actions that the sims can perform are called "skills" because these actions (and their related properties, assets, and animations), are things that the sims gain from the objects that are introduced into the game/scene. The sims don't start out knowing them, but rather the objects "teach" them how to interact with the object. This is why they're called "skills".

This was done so that the design of the game would be such that the game would be expansible -- with new objects introducing new features to the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#255 Old 3rd Sep 2024 at 10:41 PM Last edited by LUCPIX : 6th Sep 2024 at 2:43 PM.
Thank you for the >100.000 thread views.

Today's out-of-date throwback...

PC Games
APRIL 1999

Allegedly the first The Sims mag coverage outside of the USA. See how old and nightmarish the pictures are!

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
https://www.youtube.com/LUCPIX
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#256 Old 6th Sep 2024 at 10:05 PM

PC POWEPLAY, AUG/99

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
Test Subject
#257 Old 10th Sep 2024 at 5:47 PM
My god, I just checked internet archives site, they removed 500k books because they lost from some corporations in court. This is just so bad, I hope internet archive survives in general, this is just bad.
Test Subject
#258 Old Today at 8:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LUCPIX
Hey, man, we can kind of use this in-depth picture as an archetype of such awkward transition between the former adopted aesthetic and the one from the game's final version, as though that elder is a totally different kind of human
It is worthy mentioning this cool shot is a part of Press Kit CD's slideshow, a sort of resource material intended to display what was developed so far so the media'd have something to preview/promote the game with! Check the slide where this image is:

^ Every single file has a very precise "When it was last modified" date

It's been ages ever since, but I have a foggy-uncertain memory of spotting in some website (almost certainly archived and unavailable ) a pre-release image on which these 3 Sims were positioned exactly like this which makes me to believe it's a mock-up that uses the game's graphics other than a regular screenshot; and, unless it is supposedly highlighting a character outside the camera, no plumbob/arrow is present above his/her head. Feels convenient to pass a fine-tooth-comb for these pictures... if they're not only existing in my head!

HAhaha, for reals?? In my opinion, the former interfaces are a beauty (specially those with dates/months/years put at but, between you and me, does the average player play in a household in particular during 365, 265, 165 or even 65 sim days??) but none of them manages to somehow reflect 100% of the game's creative, abstractly sandbox-y factor, either because its colors or because its "straight" shape is rather "arbitrary"? And you are right about the brain; however, it'd be awesome if they, at least, inserted that "twinkling" effect somewhere else! That "Sigmund" one does make an actual, shy apparition in game as an relationship panel's thumbnail! Not that your Sim is suddenly "befriending" him, it was just a way the game's staff apparently thought it was convenient to fill the thumbnail room from a Sim whose head is unidentifiable/broken by the engine

About that Elvis picture - you apparently still is fond of S1! I quickly converted the data from the vanilla's Velvet Clown (Velvet Elvis from the future) to make it look like Velvet Elvis (Velvet Clown from the past), based on its sharpest appearance in a screenshot which you might find interesting to be bought for one of your families!

DOWNLOAD

I agree with you - most of the objects from the final version had a rawer similar from the past (with some exceptions, such as the design from the former television which is definitely prettier than the final version ones IMO, although the game's staff could argue the latter ones suggest some more "universality", if that makes sense?), "placeholders" as you said, but sometimes I wonder if they were immediately put in game meaning to be replaced to "better" versions later; In fact, they felt like enhancing them, especially because, as the dvd man has spoken, the game's production, kinda with the same engine and same aesthetics we know today, started at least 3, 4 years before 2000 [u](both of game's unused lots' database mentions the year 1996)[/ul] and this was a relatively brief period in gaming when it's happened some massive, cellular progression on how an average commercial game looked like, if we think about the earliest uses of the anti-aliasing (firstly on consoles), dynamic lighting, etc!! We can take a good example of it by checking what changes, graphically, in the 4 first Tomb Raider games (1995-2000) and, obviously, if we check the Sims' 1995 shots from this thread's PDF at the appendix:

Chris Sawyer may have thought "What if I insert some Roller coasters on it?", ha

It's interesting how you listed all of the Sims 1's songs (even Sim Online's) and catalogued them according to their names and composers/reproducers (That's funny because now I'll be trying to extract something "If You Really See Eurydice"-esque behind that that was merely a "Welcome to our Premiering Residence"-themed song, ha
You're welcome man

You're right Hahaha Hey, it's not 100% ugly! However, you know, whenever I think how it could behave in game, it always gets an astringent, but comprehensibly old-fashioned vibe, like one of those games you click at one UI button, for example, and then an uncomfortable 2-second sound effect regarding the button's function plays until you get weary of it and shut the game up

Prolly just for themselves!

Is there anyway to re-download this Elvis wannabe picture/painting? The link doesn't seem to work anymore...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#259 Old Today at 3:23 PM
Thanks for reminding us that that CC exists 😮! I will re-upload it in the other thread, okay?

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
Page 11 of 11