Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 5:25 PM
Default Windows Virtual Memory??
I was playing the game last night, and my game got interupted by the little windows virtual memory being to low or something. It kinda pissed me off, because every time something in the background pops up, such as that or when I accidently pushed the little windows key button on the keyboard, that I could never get my game back. I had a really good game last night as well, one of my girls got to be a business tycoon and was going to go to work, however, instead of the usual beat up car, she was getting picked up my a helicopter, and the game wouldn't let her go to work. I clicked on the helicopter to tell her to go to work, and all she did was stand there and cover her ears and the little icon in the left hand said "hear loud noise" .. how am I supposed to get her to work, when she just stands there because of the stupid copter?! .. needless to say she missed her ride, and I had to have her call in sick. I also had to delete all the downloaded stuff in my download folder, just in case if that was the problem with virtual memory.

HELP!!!! :argh:

~Beth
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 5:57 PM
should have left your downloads folder as it was!... but you wasnt to know.... ok with the virtual mem thing i was have the same problem and so was/is some of my m8's... you change this manualy... first of all right click My Computer then click Properties...next bit deppendes of which OS you have im running xp .... then click the Advance tab and then the performance Settings tab... and then another thing pops up and you want to then click the advanced tab in that box..... then you should see virtual memory at the bottom with a change button.... you can then type in a larger amount deppending on the size of your HD etc..... hope this helps... you can aslo use your windows help facilitie for this problem type in Virtual Memory or try and google the problem if your still a little unsure..... Good luck hope this helps..... if you da have a small hard drive try and keep your downloads to a minimum to help your pc run as mooth as poss
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:06 PM
GAH! .. *smacks forehead*

Well its all good, I mean, cuz there were somethings in that downloads folder that I could do without, such as.. when I was on The Sims 2 Resource, and saw a great living room set, that I just HAD to download, yeah one of them downloading spree's with no thinking if i'm ever going to use it, lol.

Thanks much though on your help Jules. btw love your username :D

~Beth
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:07 PM
GAH! .. *smacks forehead*

Well its all good, I mean, cuz there were somethings in that downloads folder that I could do without, such as.. when I was on The Sims 2 Resource, and saw a really great download, that I just HAD to have, yeah one of them downloading spree's with no thinking if i'm ever going to use it, lol.

Thanks much though on your help Jules. btw love your username :D

~Beth
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:08 PM
That happens to me all the time
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:08 PM
Damnit! .. sorry about the double post
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:11 PM
Thanks muck, Jules. I just re-set my virtual memory from 340 something to 500. Its out of.. 744. I also have Windows XP
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:14 PM
This has happened to me, but it was when I was running a very memory intensive application (WorldWind). Windows automatically adjusts how much Virtual Memory you have so your PC doesn't melt. :D
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyMacca
....just re-set my virtual memory from 340 something to 500. Its out of.. 744.....

Mine is at a range of 1GB-2GB (1024-2048). :laugh: I must be very geekish for my computer to need that much.

Want the best browser?!?! Get Firefox.

- FIREFOX -

- The safest, fastest, best browser out there -

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:20 PM
It also happends to me >_<...
my sims2 runs so sloooooooowwwwwwww...
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:22 PM
If your game is running slow, I would advise increasing your VM.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 6:26 PM
i have mine set at ....hang on.... 3gb geek or what?...lol

maybe i should lower it.. dont want to be "help me i'm melting!".... thinking of getting firefox too....
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 7:22 PM
If by slow you mean long load times....try cleaning anything you can out of your Downloads folders.

Letting Windows handle the swap (aka Virtual Memory) since is safe, but also slow since Windows will keep adding little bits on to the files size so that the file parts are all over the hard drive, making reading that file REALLY SLOW, as your hard disk flails about. Also if you play with the swap set the max and miniumum to the same number (otherwise it keeps changing the size, and slowing the file acceess down as it fragments the files all over your drive). I have 1GB physical ram, C: 256-256 min-max swap, and D: 4096-4096 min-max swap. This is excessive (but I needed to run Sim2Pack installer with uses ALL that memory and PSP).

The reason for the small swap on C: is so that I can still capture memory dumps when when Windows XP crashes (needed for dugging WHY it crashed). Putting the swap on a drive other when where you installed windows (usually C really speeds up how long it takes windows to boot. So far my record is Windows crashing and fully rebooting in 12 seconds.

If you are lucky enough to have more the 15% of your hard drive space free defragment your hard drives (in XP, right click on the drive icon in windows explorer/my computer, goto "Tools", goto Defragmention, select the drive you want...remember that you need at least 15% free space, hit Defragment, this might take a few hours). Yeah, you can use Norton Speed Disk too...but I've found that it makes things >>SLOWER<< then the one built into XP (a subset of the commercial product called Diskkeeper).

But the most common reason the SIms2 is slow is that there are too many files in the downloads folder. All windows filesystems get slower and slower the more files you put in a directory over about a thousand. Many people have several thousand. I used to have 6K, down to 4k as I try to delete as much as possible, only to download it again (many poor quality items on the exchange are unfortunately very common).

Don't believe me? Move everything in your downloads folder somewhere else (making the backup is always a good idea), with an empty downloads folder fire up the Sims. Note how quickly it loads. Exit Sims. Copy everything back to your downloads folder (thus giving you a backup). Boot the Sims again, and not how slowly it boots.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 12:29 AM
my game runs fine.... just noisey.... need to slow my fan down and buy a bigger one... :D