Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:59 PM
Default Story Progression is eeeeeevil.
Last night, I turned on Story Progression in the hopes that I'd have a few families move into my neighborhood, or maybe some of my Sims would hook themselves up with each other. I'd turned Free Will down to Low, hoping that it would help keep some of the stupider things Sims do at bay.

Next thing I know, a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house where I had a couple of roomies living together has been invaded by a family of six. One of the people who lived there before was nowhere to be found. (Obviously he hadn't left the neighborhood; I invited him over to another home and used TestingCheats to add him to the family.)

The stupid, it burns. Between the idiocy of a giant family moving into a little-bitty house with a complete stranger to the eagerness at which Sims bail from their homes, I'm about ready to strangle EA.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:08 PM
Adjusting free will doesn't effect the other sims in the neighborhood only your active family. I find it amusing that a player can't move 6 people into a house with 1 bed (the game won't let you) but the game can do it.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:44 PM
It's true... They've obviously got some fixing to do. Though I've never heard of a patch that fixed this big of a problem. It's almost like the entire point of Sims 3 is broken... How are they going to patch something like that? Lol
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:36 PM
I am afraid to put Story Progression on, i spent alot of time making sims all around town. If i put it on, will they move out of town and i will never see them again? i just don't want to loose any sims i make
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:37 PM
I think it's possible that story progression was made with people who only make one sim family in mind. I'm not justifying it or saying it's a good thing. Just throwing out possibilities.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:44 PM
Yeah, I just wonder when they will release a patch. I'm still deciding if I should hold the game off until the patch, and I get money.
Test Subject
#7 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:47 PM
Well there's a mod out right now called Awesomemod that acts as an unofficial patch for many of the story progression bugs(and does -many- other cool things as well.)
Scholar
#8 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:47 PM
they might sell a separate disc to fix major stuff like story progression for like 15 bucks. JK
Typical
#9 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:49 PM
They'll probably realease a patch...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
they might sell a separate disc to fix major stuff like story progression for like 15 bucks. JK

They already do that, only they sell them for $29.99 and call them "expansion packs."
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 8:36 PM
I quite like story progression as I only play with one family, if I wanted to control the neighbourhood then i'd go back to Sims2
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Syera
Last night, I turned on Story Progression in the hopes that I'd have a few families move into my neighborhood, or maybe some of my Sims would hook themselves up with each other. I'd turned Free Will down to Low, hoping that it would help keep some of the stupider things Sims do at bay.

Next thing I know, a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house where I had a couple of roomies living together has been invaded by a family of six. One of the people who lived there before was nowhere to be found. (Obviously he hadn't left the neighborhood; I invited him over to another home and used TestingCheats to add him to the family.)

Unfortunately, that's part of Story Progression. Sims grow old, they get married, they have kids, they move, they die. It's all part of the bigger neighborhood around you. And although it would be cool if you could pick and choose what things your non-active sims could do and what they couldn't, at present there just isn't. Perhaps someone like Pescado or Squinge will come out with mods singling certain actions out so that non-active sims won't be able to perform them (like a mod where they can do anything but move out) but for now it's all or nothing.

Quote: Originally posted by Syera
The stupid, it burns. Between the idiocy of a giant family moving into a little-bitty house with a complete stranger to the eagerness at which Sims bail from their homes, I'm about ready to strangle EA.

It does, really it does. There's been a few things I've run across that I'm like "why the heck did EA do it that way?!" I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait for the patch. Remember, TS3 is ground-breaking in the field of video games.

Quote: Originally posted by wootster
I quite like story progression as I only play with one family, if I wanted to control the neighbourhood then i'd go back to Sims2

Exactly! My sister, who has been a die-hard Sims fan almost as long as I have (i.e., since TS1) absolutely refuses to play TS3, because story progression is really the whole point of TS3, and she doesn't like it. Without SP, TS3 is just a version of TS2 with better graphics and an updated recoloring system.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
Adjusting free will doesn't effect the other sims in the neighborhood only your active family. I find it amusing that a player can't move 6 people into a house with 1 bed (the game won't let you) but the game can do it.

Really? The game let me move in a family of 6 (single mom, five crazy kids) into a house in Riverview which only has one bedroom. It'll be up to me to build the rest, obviously, but the game didn't stop me with a "not enough space/beds" message...