Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 8:29 PM
Default NRaas Traveler mod help
I don't fully understand the instructions posted on NRaas website about the traveler mod, I'm trying to have my sim vacation in a world I previously edited/saved. The name of the world I edited and saved we can call it "new egypt" and the world I'm currently playing, Let's just call it "new france". new egypt saved game is located in Electronic Arts > Sims 3 > Saves > New Egypt.sims3. So do I copy the New Egypt nhd file from that folder and paste it into Electronic Arts > Sims 3 > Saves > New France folder (which is the world im currently playing) or Do I paste it into the "CurrentGame.Sims 3" folder? then start the game and attempt to travel? I attempted to copy the nhd file from the new egypt folder and paste it into the new france folder causing it to overwrite the new egypt nhd file that was already in the new france folder. When I started my game, to try and have my sims travel to the world I edited/saved he traveled but upon arriving to the destination the game loaded the default world and not the saved world that I previously added families and base camps and rabbit holes to.. basically a vacant world. Can anyone help?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 10:52 PM
Did you design and set this world's ID in CAW or is it merely the stock Egypt world with in-game Edit Town type lot changes made and sims added that is supposed to serve in place of the real WA type of Egypt?

If the latter, I think the issue here is that you cannot change the name of worlds merely by changing their nhd file name. Egypt's nhd needs to be called Egypt_0x0859db48.nhd (or something like that) and you can't have two Egypts in the same game save. That is to say, you can't have two nhd files emanating from the same world creation mechanism as the game wouldn't be able to tell them apart without them having gone through the CAW process. If you instruct your sims to travel to Egypt from the travel menu, and it doesn't think there is an Egypt with the correct id already present, it will generate a new generic one.

An no, nothing should ever be added to the CurrentGame folder. The game itself moves a copy of the contents of the game folder from the save you are playing and writes saves back to that folder from RAM by itself. The only reason to ever be in there is to empty it out after the game crashes as it would then leave all kinds of useless files behind after doing so.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 11:32 PM
no it's actually not egypt just a world someone created that resembles egypt. It was vacant when I downloaded it I populated it and placed rabbit holes within it. I Edited it in game with edit town mode, from my understanding the traveler mod let's you visit "saved games" with other sims as a vacation world. I'm just not sure where to copy and paste the nhd file to visit this custom world.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 7:46 AM
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying, the whole Egypt thing threw me off I guess. It does sound like you were doing it right, but the problem with using third party created worlds like that is that you have to trust the world's designer to have ID'ed the world properly during its design stage. Many designers do not do this or even know that they should and this really can't be fixed (as far as I'm aware) once the world design is finalized.

It actually gets worse from there with worlds not ID'ed properly. If you were to forget about your edited copy in the other save and use the new one generated by the game while actually having traveled there, upon returning home your game and your sims might not "remember" anything about that world. And when you travel there a second time, you might get a fresh version generated yet again. Or even worse, upon returning home, your sims may land on a fresh copy of your original homeworld and not be able to get back to the one you were really playing.

I've never experienced problems like this with EA worlds, though some players have had issues with a couple of them, Lucky Pines and Hidden Springs. We've never been able to figure out why that happens for a few and not everyone else. I've also never had problems with custom worlds that have the ID set right. But one has to test such a custom world first to make sure it's going to behave itself well as a Traveler destination.
Theorist
#5 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BabyBape
do I copy the New Egypt nhd file from that folder and paste it into Electronic Arts > Sims 3 > Saves > New France folder ([B]?

Yes that's it

Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 9:02 PM
oh geez -_- well atleast I was doing it right lol, I'll have to come up with a plan B of some sort maybe moving my sim to that town and playing for a while then moving him back will erase his relationships but I could just replenish them with master controller. Thanks Igazor & Tizerist
I've been trying to find a solution for days.
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2024 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying, the whole Egypt thing threw me off I guess. It does sound like you were doing it right, but the problem with using third party created worlds like that is that you have to trust the world's designer to have ID'ed the world properly during its design stage. Many designers do not do this or even know that they should and this really can't be fixed (as far as I'm aware) once the world design is finalized.

It actually gets worse from there with worlds not ID'ed properly. If you were to forget about your edited copy in the other save and use the new one generated by the game while actually having traveled there, upon returning home your game and your sims might not "remember" anything about that world. And when you travel there a second time, you might get a fresh version generated yet again. Or even worse, upon returning home, your sims may land on a fresh copy of your original homeworld and not be able to get back to the one you were really playing.

I've never experienced problems like this with EA worlds, though some players have had issues with a couple of them, Lucky Pines and Hidden Springs. We've never been able to figure out why that happens for a few and not everyone else. I've also never had problems with custom worlds that have the ID set right. But one has to test such a custom world first to make sure it's going to behave itself well as a Traveler destination.

Sorry to reopen this long closed conversation, but I was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to properly ID a world in CAW?
I'm currently in the process of creating a world that I would like to share later on. I have never heard of having to ID the world in CAW. If this is something one should do, then I would really like to do it correctly. I would not want players to have problems with my world if they are using it together with Nraas Traveler as a vacation world...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2024 at 12:37 AM
I'm still around, but afraid i have no experience with CAW whatsoever. I can barely spell it, on a good day.

Let's give the experienced world designers who hang out here a chance to respond, or we'll page some of them into the thread after a while if they don't see it soon enough.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Aug 2024 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I'm still around, but afraid i have no experience with CAW whatsoever. I can barely spell it, on a good day.

Let's give the experienced world designers who hang out here a chance to respond, or we'll page some of them into the thread after a while if they don't see it soon enough.

Thank you, igazor! I tried to find more information on this, but could not find anything yet...
Inventor
#10 Old 5th Aug 2024 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CocoGreen
Sorry to reopen this long closed conversation, but I was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to properly ID a world in CAW?
I'm currently in the process of creating a world that I would like to share later on. I have never heard of having to ID the world in CAW. If this is something one should do, then I would really like to do it correctly. I would not want players to have problems with my world if they are using it together with Nraas Traveler as a vacation world...

There are a couple of CAW areas in the creation section. People who do CAW may not see your post on a thread about Traveler. Might be a good idea to try over there. ))

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Aug 2024 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
There are a couple of CAW areas in the creation section. People who do CAW may not see your post on a thread about Traveler. Might be a good idea to try over there. ))

You're probably right Thanks!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Aug 2024 at 12:30 AM Last edited by daisylee : 15th Aug 2024 at 12:41 AM.
I am pretty much gone from this site but will post as have experience about this. I can tell you that a world we do in CAW will not work as a vacation world well as visitors show up and then leave at 4pm. They will not stay in the base camp we make. I had a thread about this in the past. I do not recall there being any solutions. EA was able to code the vacation worlds in a way we cannot do last that I heard. Our Sim can go there but the other visiting Sims leave.

I found the old thread.

https://modthesims.info/t/636941
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2024 at 9:15 PM
Thank you all for your support!!
I actually found the answer to my question a few days ago in this great CAW guide by Norn (page 54): https://nornities.tumblr.com/post/7...a-guide-it-took

I wish I had found this guide sooner! It would have spared me many headaches...