Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2024 at 12:35 AM
Default Edit Sim Notice Radius / Field of View
Hello,

Is there a tutorial out there on how you can edit a Sim's notice radius / field of view? (i.e. how close a Sim has to be to notice their significant other cheating, noticing a fire on the lot, etc.)

If so, I'd like to know about it and if not, I'd like to know more about how this works!

Thanks in advance!
CT04.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 28th Jul 2024 at 11:08 PM
Reactions are usually to "emitters", which is a type of invisible object put down at the event's site or into a slot. I think in case of Fire the functionality is in the fire object itself. It has a "Function - Awareness" defined in the OBJf. There you can choose custom conditions like same room or distance. Usually the emitter has a strength value associated with it so that some reactions can reach further, like woohoo reaches further than flirt. Cheating is in "Emitter/Trigger - Jealousy". Testing for actual visibility is not easily possible, like through windows or a mesh fence.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2024 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Reactions are usually to "emitters", which is a type of invisible object put down at the event's site or into a slot. I think in case of Fire the functionality is in the fire object itself. It has a "Function - Awareness" defined in the OBJf. There you can choose custom conditions like same room or distance. Usually the emitter has a strength value associated with it so that some reactions can reach further, like woohoo reaches further than flirt. Cheating is in "Emitter/Trigger - Jealousy". Testing for actual visibility is not easily possible, like through windows or a mesh fence.

Thank you for your answer! It makes sense that they would use triggers with such things, it is an older game, after all. You said the awareness trigger for fire was on the fire object itself. Does that mean the cheating trigger is linked to all romantic socials or is there one universal trigger for cheating (excluding woohoo, as that is triggered at a different distance as you said)?

Again, thank you for your answer! Very informative!
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 3:06 AM
A romantic social spawns "Emitter/Trigger - Jealousy" under the person and sets its attenuation and severity depending on the intensity of the romantic action. (social globals 0x201B, global 0x313). Attenuation seems to be always decimal 10 and is the distance in tiles of the visibility. I'm not sure what severity does. It might be used for picking the strongest nearby emitter. If attenuation is greater than 13, they will see it any distance like a woohoo.

You can follow Function - Awareness - TEST / Private from group 0x7F210196 to see what parameters are taken into account, and modify according to your needs.

Other common emitters usually found are good/bad smell. The kids lemonade stand has an awareness function to push walkbyes to interact with it. The best-of-the-best business award sign has an awareness. In the TEST you can restrict how it is seen: by distance or maybe only half of the time.

Awareness is something people check for every once in a while. I think a trigger is pushed upon, like when a person entering a room causes other objects (lamps, people) to react.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 11:51 PM
A romantic social spawns "Emitter/Trigger - Jealousy" under the person and sets its attenuation and severity depending on the intensity of the romantic action. (social globals 0x201B, global 0x313). Attenuation seems to be always decimal 10 and is the distance in tiles of the visibility. I'm not sure what severity does. It might be used for picking the strongest nearby emitter. If attenuation is greater than 13, they will see it any distance like a woohoo.

You can follow Function - Awareness - TEST / Private from group 0x7F210196 to see what parameters are taken into account, and modify according to your needs.

Other common emitters usually found are good/bad smell. The kids lemonade stand has an awareness function to push walkbyes to interact with it. The best-of-the-best business award sign has an awareness. In the TEST you can restrict how it is seen: by distance or maybe only half of the time.

Awareness is something people check for every once in a while. I think a trigger is pushed upon, like when a person entering a room causes other objects (lamps, people) to react.

Thanks for the info once again! If you do not mind explaining a bit more, how would you go about editing a "reaction" trigger? Like, the distance a sim reacts to fire / cheating / smell? Let's say that if a fire breaks out I want a Sim to notice it from the moment they enter the lot. What would you specifically edit to make that happen? As you may have gathered, I am not an expert on this subject, but I do want to learn more about it and the tutorials on this subject are rather scarce.

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to my questions on this subject! It is really appreciated!
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 6:00 AM
I don't see any restrictions in Fire that limit its visibility. It might be that reactions are universally restricted to a short range or the room. Or maybe there is a strength score that I don't know about. This part I've not tinkered with before.

Fire also calls people to it every once in a while (30×3 ticks = 3 seconds). This is different than seeing it, but the end result is the same with the person panicking. In 0x102C "Push - Panic - All Sims Not Interacting" calls all people in the same room or all people outside. It is already common that walkbyes come to see burning trees even if they are fenced in (outside). If 3 seconds is not often enough, you could insert a copy of 102C in "Function - Main" that is called every few loops of Idle 3 (instead of 30), and only calls visitors outside in room 0 to make sure they notice it immediately.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2024 at 12:15 AM
I don't see any restrictions in Fire that limit its visibility. It might be that reactions are universally restricted to a short range or the room. Or maybe there is a strength score that I don't know about. This part I've not tinkered with before.

Fire also calls people to it every once in a while (30×3 ticks = 3 seconds). This is different than seeing it, but the end result is the same with the person panicking. In 0x102C "Push - Panic - All Sims Not Interacting" calls all people in the same room or all people outside. It is already common that walkbyes come to see burning trees even if they are fenced in (outside). If 3 seconds is not often enough, you could insert a copy of 102C in "Function - Main" that is called every few loops of Idle 3 (instead of 30), and only calls visitors outside in room 0 to make sure they notice it immediately.

Cool! Thanks for the info once again. May I ask where you've learned all this? I find it very hard to find a tutorial on this subject (the tutorials I do find all assume you're working with things that have a pie menu attached to them) and thus I do still find it quite hard to understand everything about reactions and emitters. Although, your information does help quite a lot! So, thanks again!