Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 7:33 AM
Default Sim Went Insane
I noticed an unusual thing while playing this evening... One of my Sims were getting the strange social options associated with the "Insane" trait. I checked her traits and sure enough, insane was one of them.

Thing is, I made this Sim from scratch in CAS and I never ever GAVE her the insane trait.

Is it possible for Sims to go nuts?

She IS an elder... maybe she's beginning to lose her marbles...
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 7:36 AM
Hate to ask this but what third-party mods are you using? I know a few that may add new traits to sims.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 7:46 AM
What ones add traits? And for what reason? I use AM but that only adds traits due to actions you take as a player.
Alchemist
#4 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 8:28 AM
wow. I had no idea they could be randomly assigned traits! Do you happen to be using awesome mod? That may have caused something... Or did you enter any cheats such as AddTrait Insane or whatever it is? (good time to forget all the cheats momentarily hey?)
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 12:22 PM
Maybe you left her in the house for too long with this "Stir Crazy" moodlet.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 12:37 PM
yeah this happened to me not a clue why I just changed the traits back, I wasn't using AM so I don't believe it was that.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lostinshalott
yeah this happened to me not a clue why I just changed the traits back, I wasn't using AM so I don't believe it was that.

What traits did they change to? And what was it originally if you still remember? Do you also remember what kind of events these sims went through?

Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 10:23 PM
She didn't go stir crazy, she went insane!

I haven't heard of Awesomemod adding that trait to any Sims. I really don't know what my Sim did to cause it. First time I NOTICED it, she was at the graveyard. I dropped the trait, "droptrait Insane", and it disappeared along with the silly social options. I wasn't playing with her at the time, though, I just selected her when I got a story-progression note that she had been promoted and I wanted to check out her job stats. That's when I found her at the graveyard with the insane trait.

lostinshalott: Do you use any OTHER mods that might be linked to this?
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz

I haven't heard of Awesomemod adding that trait to any Sims. I really don't know what my Sim did to cause it. First time I NOTICED it, she was at the graveyard. I dropped the trait, "droptrait Insane", and it disappeared along with the silly social options. I wasn't playing with her at the time, though, I just selected her when I got a story-progression note that she had been promoted and I wanted to check out her job stats. That's when I found her at the graveyard with the insane trait.

I was suggesting that she locks herself up in the house for too long with the "Stir Crazy" moodlet that might lead to Insanity.

Sounds like you are playing with Story Progression on. Did you check her Lifetime Happiness point? Maybe she used it to change a trait. I think there is a reward called Midlife Crisis to let you change a trait, or maybe to change Lifetime Wish.

Instructor
#10 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 1:32 AM
Try MATY

As far as I know Awesomemod adds the "pedophile" trait to your sim for some dasdardly deeds and "incontinent" for a weak bladder. But, I'm not the creator of this mod so I cannot provide any support or suggestions as to how it must run. Furthermore, because we cannot provide support for anything located off-site I encourage you to go visit their website where I'm certain that you can find more information regarding this on their website forums:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,16876.0.html

Best of all, MATY has an active forum with detailed threads on Awesomemod, and you don't have to register to read them.

Good luck!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by James009
As far as I know Awesomemod adds the "pedophile" trait to your sim for some dasdardly deeds and "incontinent" for a weak bladder. But, I'm not the creator of this mod so I cannot provide any support or suggestions as to how it must run. Furthermore, because we cannot provide support for anything located off-site I encourage you to go visit their website where I'm certain that you can find more information regarding this on their website forums:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,16876.0.html

Best of all, MATY has an active forum with detailed threads on Awesomemod, and you don't have to register to read them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. But I know all about that.

I'll pose the question over there but I'm sure I would have read something about the phenomenon by now if it was the result of AM, which is why I didn't post there in the first place.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
What traits did they change to? And what was it originally if you still remember? Do you also remember what kind of events these sims went through?

I believe although I can't say for sure he either lost the daredevil trait or simply gained the insane trait, he also was a young adult. I didn't have the awesome mod either and ageing was switched off. Events hmmm well his wife had given birth to a daughter, he'd not been through any intense stress or anything that I knew of, but I was swapping around houses a lot.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 7:07 PM
Well, it seems to me there must have been a trigger that made the Sim go nuts. I just have no idea what it might have been. She got promoted - I wouldn't think that would make her crazy, after all she is advancing in the career of her choice.

Or it's a bug.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 8:19 PM
Well, it seems to me there must have been a trigger that made the Sim go nuts. I just have no idea what it might have been. She got promoted - I wouldn't think that would make her crazy, after all she is advancing in the career of her choice. Or it's a bug.

I'd bet 1 million simoleons that it's an easter egg from JMP.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Instructor
#15 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 10:32 PM
I'm poor...
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I'd bet 1 million simoleons...
I'm out... still in the tens of thousands. Haven't become a millionaire as of yet, still poor.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I'd bet 1 million simoleons that it's an easter egg from JMP.

I am lazy to calculate how many times I have to type motherlode for that. But I would be happy just to have 1 motherlode in real life. Going back to school makes me a starving student again, especially Master program costs so much. Oops, don't mind me going off topic.

Ahem, back on topic! coltraz, by reading you say "bugs", this connects me back to my theory of "data shifting" in saved files. Do you know of or remember EA community lots such as Goth's estate, Wolff's estate, and the museum are often plagued with "rainbow tiles"? No matter how often you keep on replacing them, they would be plagued with those, slowly and gradually. I call it "corruption" within saved files, usually cause by conflicting mods (but sometimes just memory leak). My experience also allows me to notice when corruptions happen (while they like to plague those EA buildings first), it may affect your sims as well.

Analogy: Say you have a perfectly typed report paper on Microsoft Words, everything fits exactly into the pages like you want it. If you accidentally delete just a couple lines in some pages in the middle, all the pages from that point on will start shifting up to cover the space, messing up the entire order of your paper.

And if, say, your table of content points to line 20, page 13 for "Example 1", but since it is shifted 3 lines up, now your Example 1 is pointing to a blank line or something totally irrelevant.

Back to TS3, while saving, certain "lines" can corrupt and values can shift from bottom up. In my testing neighborhood (where I place many sims and all possible objects for testing purpose), my sims outfit setting often get changed to something else (not necessarily default items), hair styles get changed on random. I have not noticed traits getting changed because I just randomly made up those sims to populate my neighborhood so I never have those data on record.

This can be a possibility of why something within your sims' data get changed due to the data shift. Although you are welcome to disregard it as me speaking sci-fi theory. Because this is only a theory with almost no hard evidence to back up, only observations.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 10:30 PM
The same thing happened to me, my sim Edwin Elfman got a mean-trait just out of the blue as a teenager. I'd had AM installed previously, but had to uninstall since it frequently froze my game. But when the mod was removed, he had the mean trait - and his sister, Emma, did not have ANY extra traits, even though she'd had the "Chosen" one in AM and therefore it would be more logical if she'd gotten an extra trait. He didn't really act on the trait, though, although he wanted to be mean to ONE specific sim, he was just as helpful as always, taking care of his siblings and doing house chores and his homework without anyone telling him to - so it was kind of weird. I removed it using the "testingcheatsenabled - modify traits" cheat, but I'm still wondering what caused this sudden new trait.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 10:47 PM
I brought it up at MATY. It isn't a part of Awesomemod according to Pescado. If your teen gained a trait it could have been assigned to him when he aged up, no? That happens. If you mean it just appeared in the middle of his life-stage, then I have no idea. It's easy enough to drop traits you don't want, I guess.
Test Subject
#19 Old 7th Aug 2024 at 10:54 PM
Ok yeah nobody discusses this anymore but just wanted to provide clarity. This is a glitch.My sims randomly get the insane trait too. Testing cheats, shift click them; and “change traits for active sim”. Dont even have to physically change them. They will reset once the traits menu comes up