Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:37 PM
Default Stocking the fridge?
When my fridge runs out of food, it still allows me to make things by buying the ingredients when I choose to make something. So my question is, what's the point of going to the grocery store if I can just buy the stuff straight from the fridge? Is there a benefit from buying from the store I don't know about?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:46 PM
Every so often the store will have a discount day, but I prefer to grow my own fruits and veggies so I only have to my meet, eggs, and cheese.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:56 PM
According to EA's game booklet, ingredients cost more purchased straight from the fridge. Unfortunately, I wasn't tracking, so I don't know if that's more than regular grocery costs or simply more than discounted grocery costs. (And now my active household just grows their own everything because the quality is better.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:18 PM
Ok, thanks. I got some follow up questions. Does the quality of the fridge effect how long ingredients stay fresh? I know it effects leftovers.
Does the cost of food effect anything? Like waffles over pancakes? I haven't noticed any difference in what I eat, just the quality of the food (normal, nice, etc).
And Do sims ever get tired of eating the same things over and over again?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:29 PM
OK, so how do you "stock" the fridge??? I can't seem to do anything with my produce except no interaction, eat or plant!!! :{ And do sims just eat a plain old tomato or potato or use in a recipe??
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:39 PM
The fridge can be open when you click on it and choose the "open" action. Then you are able to transfer food (meals and fruits, vegetables, fishes...) from your inventory to it (and inversely).
And the food in the inventory can be eated or used in a meal preparation I guess.

All of nature is within us and we are part of all nature (Chief White Cloud)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:46 PM
You can drag items from your inventory to the fridge, if you click the little flipped corner thingy you can drag multiple items at once. They will use food in their inventory to cook, so it doesn't have to go in the fridge. They can eat just an apple, or watermelon, or as my insane sim likes to do.... garlic straight from their inventory.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:00 PM
Thanks Mihura and Maven...lol, so if the next EP constains vampires, your garlic eating sim should be safe!
Field Researcher
#9 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
According to EA's game booklet, ingredients cost more purchased straight from the fridge. Unfortunately, I wasn't tracking, so I don't know if that's more than regular grocery costs or simply more than discounted grocery costs. (And now my active household just grows their own everything because the quality is better.)

I know that the 5 and 10 simoleon ingredients cost 6 and 11 simoleons when purchased from the fridge. I'm not sure how the more expensive ingredients stack up. The main advantage to stocking the fridge seems to be having the ingredients available when you need them for other things and are too lazy to run to the market.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:57 PM
Even in my most broke households, 2 simoleans more isn't worth the trip to the store. I pretty much never go. They could spend that hour in more productive ways (painting, writing, etc).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 7:54 PM
From what I saw, food is only cheaper at the store if it's on sale, otherwise it costs the same if you were to buy it from the fridge.

And can anyone tell me if ingredients stored in a fridge ever go bad?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RustyShackle
From what I saw, food is only cheaper at the store if it's on sale, otherwise it costs the same if you were to buy it from the fridge.

As far as I know... they stay fresh forever. They DO go bad in your inventory though, as I learned the hard way
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RustyShackle

As far as I know... they stay fresh forever. They DO go bad in your inventory though, as I learned the hard way
Instructor
#14 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 9:28 PM
Fish and ingredients don't go bad in your inventory, cooked food does. Ingredients never go bad.

And food purchased from the fridge is slightly more expensive than at the store, even without sale prices.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 11:39 PM
From what i've noticed, at least for me, is that I can't make certain foods at home by clicking on the fridge which include: Baked Angel Food Cake, Stuffed Turkey, Tri-Tip Steak. I have level 10 cooking and read all the recipes. So for me, I have to go to the grocery store and buy the items there to make the recipes.
Instructor
#16 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 11:57 PM
I was able to make stuff turkey without owning a turkey by clicking the fridge.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:28 AM
Is there a way to put away food quickly instead of doing it one by one. Takes forever.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzicube
Is there a way to put away food quickly instead of doing it one by one. Takes forever.

Use the tab on the top left of the icon of the item your trying to transfer. Click and drag

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Test Subject
#19 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:36 AM
You can take a whole stack if you grab the top left corner(it has a slight raised effect like the other buttons) and drag it. You don't even have to open the fridge, just drag it straight onto it.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
I was able to make stuff turkey without owning a turkey by clicking the fridge.

lol silly me, I didn't see the "more" tab. My mistake, I can make the turkey, steak etc from the fridge.