Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 1:15 AM
Default The World of Westfall Q&A

I've tried for a while now to make sure all my original fantasy/medieval lots are set in the same coherent world, and written little mini-stories as the descriptive flavor text for them to further expand on the setting. I also use this world for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign I'm running for some friends, and I've seen this done on D&D discussion boards, so I thought it would be fun to post for TS2 as well since that's such an important part of my inspiration too!

The map above is the main part of the world that I've explored so far, though I have a fair idea what's off the edges in every direction too. I would LOVE it if people just want to ask whatever questions you have about this world, whether they're inspired by the map or by the TS2 creations I've put here... geography, politics, history, culture, environment, etc, etc... I might have answers already, but probably not, so it'll give me a chance to come up with some fun worldbuilding ideas and might even give me inspiration for new things to do with this setting, either in my D&D game or new ideas for things to build in TS2!

The lots that are part of this world are below:

Stormwall - Medieval Walled City
A Home on Wheels - Traveling Wagon Caravan
Westfall Witch's Cottage
Iron Circle River Pirate Fortress
Adev Caravanserai Beacon
Crossroads Hills Inn & Tavern

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 3:16 AM
There's a Westfall area in World of Warcraft too. https://www.wowhead.com/zone=40/westfall#map

It has multiple farms where different things occur in the fields and pumpkin patch, an old castle on Sentinel Hill, a mine for underground exploration (Deadmines) close to an Old West-like city (Moonbrook), as well as a beach off the west coast. Overall, it's a varied locale with lots of different quest lines available.

When I saw you mention Westfall, that's the first thought which came to mind as I played WoW for years.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Instructor
#3 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 3:25 AM
^That was my first thought too. Also a long-time WoW player.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 3:50 AM
Lol I didn't know the name Westfall had already been used there until after I'd already had this world in my head long enough for the name to already be stuck! In this case I just think of the name coming from the fertile river valley that "falls" off to the West and was home to some of the earliest kingdoms in the western part of the continent, so the name just kind of grew with those kingdoms until people just used it to refer to pretty much the whole region between the Stormwall and Redstone Mountains!

Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 11:43 AM
I have multiple questions. Feel free to answer what you want. What's the class structure like and how easy it to climb the social ladder?

What is childhood generally like?

Why do the people there fear magic instead of embracing it?

How did the Gray Prince end up in power and what do his people think of him?

What's the typical diet like?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 12:05 PM
Looks fascinating! Are each of the kingdoms ruled by a different ruler, and is there conflict?
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 9:35 PM
Neat! I would ask what role does the iron circle play in your lands politics? Also , are there any cities or towns located in it? Or is it barren ? Also, what types of clothes do people of westfall wear? Does it vary by class? Is there class at all ? If so, what are the classes like?

Beautiful map!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I have multiple questions. Feel free to answer what you want. What's the class structure like and how easy it to climb the social ladder?

What is childhood generally like?

Why do the people there fear magic instead of embracing it?

How did the Gray Prince end up in power and what do his people think of him?

What's the typical diet like?

For several of your questions it'll depend a lot on what part of the world you're talking about, though at this point I haven't had reason to consider food much beyond knowing that the River Coul in the center of the map is largely surrounded by fertile river valleys, so agriculture is more successful there!

Childhood in most parts of the world would be fairly short, followed by apprenticeships for the common and working-class populations, and private tutelage for the wealthy. The major exceptions to this for human populations would be in Valterre, where the population sizes are limited in any one area by mountains, and each canton taking an "it takes a village" approach to raising children, so there are typically going to be schools of some sort in each community, and in Torinshelm, where a much more militaristic attitude took hold during the War of the Iron Circle some 50 years ago, and formal schooling is the norm at least for children born in and near cities, though it is largely focused on military preparedness. For non-human populations it may be different- elves in places like the Briarwood or Ayethel tend to have family groups that view education as an ongoing thing for decades, Dwarves along the western reaches of the Tjorn River to the north have much more regimented apprenticeships or religious or political tutelage systems that look more like guilds than schools to most outsiders, and Halflings in Stos Askana probably have what would be the most "normal" childhood, with small communities that frequently have something like a one-room schoolhouse.

This also kind of gets at the class structures and social mobility in many of these places... most of the time you'd be limited by geography and economics, even without an enforced social hierarchy. The Iron Circle is much more restrictive, though the military is often seen as a way to climb higher in society than would otherwise be possible. Elves and Halflings in this part of the world tend to be in small enough groups that there isn't much need for social stratification, while Dwarves tend more towards loyalty to clan and guild membership than viewing society as stratified- though Dwarves who are unhappy with their situation may take the initiative to settle new colonies where they can remake themselves in a way.

Magic isn't feared in much of this world, though assuming you're referring to the references in the Westfall Witch's Cottage story, that cottage would be on the edge of the forests somewhere in the Shayahar Wood, and isolated areas like that, especially close to Elven populations, tend to be more wary of anything that seems 'different' since they don't have much direct connection to the wider world. The other area where magic is viewed with concern would be the Iron Circle, where children showing magical abilities are typically taken by the military to be raised in training programs, so seeing someone with magic usually also means seeing someone who's important enough militarily to cause you trouble!

Finally, the Gray Prince isn't a formal political leader- he's a bastard son of the late King of Torinshelm who led a surprise raid through the Crossroads Hills and down the River Coul to sack Calderoy early in the War of the Iron Circle, and became something of a folk hero as a result. The King made him commander of the Iron Navy, and while the ocean wasn't of great importance to the Iron Circle (no nearby trading partners or enemies by sea), the rivers became a major source of internal power for the Iron Circle, and the Gray Prince was responsible for the construction of the river fortresses to maintain that power (which began to fall into disrepair and be repurposed by bandits and pirates, as described in that story). The military leadership has become the dominant power in the Iron Circle due to the current King being too young to rule effectively and merchants having lost power due to the isolation brought on by the war, and the Gray Prince, though now in his 70s, is still one of the most influential leaders in the southeastern part of the map.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Looks fascinating! Are each of the kingdoms ruled by a different ruler, and is there conflict?

Yes, though there are certainly alliances between some, and enmity between others! My D&D campaign actually started at the wedding of Prince Ælfwyne deVandes of Vedren and Lady Kella Wanderfoot of Stos Askana, which was in no small part a political arrangement to guarantee naval protection for Vedren, since the current King there is still paranoid about coastal raids launched from pirate outposts in the northern deserts of the Adev. At least each major city can be viewed as the capital of one of the kingdoms, and while they may not all be ruled by a monarch (and thus not necessarily 'kingdoms' per se), they do each have their own sovereign rule in one form or another.

Most of the kingdoms on the western half of the map are at least cordial towards one another, if not outright allied, though some like Arethia and the Shayahar Wood tend more towards isolationism. The reason there are no major cities between Calderoy and Torinshelm at this point is due to the War of the Iron Circle ~50 years ago, which destroyed many small towns and included the razing of Bellgate, which had once been a major city in the middle of the continent (the current town there is rebuilding and the ruins of the former city have been largely abandoned).

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eristreams
Neat! I would ask what role does the iron circle play in your lands politics? Also , are there any cities or towns located in it? Or is it barren ? Also, what types of clothes do people of westfall wear? Does it vary by class? Is there class at all ? If so, what are the classes like?

Beautiful map!

The Iron Circle was initially a military alliance between Torinshelm and Bellgate, with other nearby towns essentially joining out of practical necessity. After the Queen of Bellgate died unexpectedly the King of Torinshelm basically decided to seize power over both kingdoms and start an expansionist push that caused the War of the Iron Circle. By the time the war reached the stalemate that 'ended' it, Bellgate had been razed and many cities had been severely weakened, as the Iron Circle came off worse in the war and famines that followed- Torinshelm is far enough from the other major kingdoms that it's impractical to attack directly at this point, so the middle of the map is largely disputed territory that neither side can lay claim to in practice (though both sides claim it on paper).

Clothes are going to largely be your typical fantasy garb, with the wealthy having access to finer fabrics (on very rare occasions even silks from Te Jian and Taejong brought back by long sea voyages or merchant caravans crazy enough to take the road through the Great Forest). The Redstone Mountains to the south start getting into much hotter environments, so most people there wear looser robes to protect from the sun, while the Stormwall Mountains and Highwinter to the north are typically cold, so even normal people would still wear furs just for warmth. The cities of the Iron Circle still tend towards a militaristic attitude and their clothing reflects this, with many people still wearing bits of armor or uniform from their military service even after being discharged from the army or navy. The wealthy in Torinshelm also tend towards silks as much as possible, with sea routes to Taejong being much shorter from that port than from the western coasts.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 1:23 PM
Impressive I don't have questions at this stage, just enjoying reading everything.