Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old Today at 4:50 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Flickering in neighbourhood view
Hello!

I recently had to reset my whole laptop, and therefore had to reinstall Sims 2. Before that, my game worked great, and this is still the same device. This time though I used Osab's installer which has things like RPC, Grafik Rules Maker and CEP included (all three of these I also used before the new installation).

My specs

Here's a video to (hopefully) see what happens: Flickery flackery!

I just reinstalled the game, so I haven't done much yet, but so far everything looks fine and this is the only thing I noticed. Some neighbourhood stuff flickers. I first noticed it in Belladonna Cove, but it also happens in completely empty custom hoods. Mostly the ponds, the alleys without the trash cans/benches etc., and the edge of the sea. The flickering doesn't happen though when I enter a lot and look into the distance. Boulders, buildings etc. aren't flickering either, and if they do, it's only the terrain they're standing on (like for example, the Bella statue flickers, but only "the terrain under it").

I have no mods installed beside the ones the Osab installation comes with (like "Sim Shadow fix" by Nopke, which I had also used before). First the graphics card was Intel, meanwhile I set it to Nvidia (at least I hope the game recogized it?), but the problem happens with both. Smooth Edges it set to high in game settings.

It's not a complete deal breaker for me, but like I said, my former game on the same device was perfectly fine and didn't have that problem. I already tried many things in the game settings and in GRM, but the problem persists.

Maybe somebody has seen this before and knows what causes it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old Today at 7:07 PM Last edited by simmer22 : Today at 7:17 PM.
If you mean flickering where the ground meets an object, that's normal for those particular items - it's called "polygon z-fighting", and happens because the polys of two items (ground+deco item) are on roughly the same level, so the game can't quite figure out which one to show. When you move the camera around it shows up like a form of flickering, but only where the polys are sharing space.

The objects you mention - ponds, alleys, and the part of objects that meet up with the ground all have this issue in NH view. It's not worrisome as long as those are the only things flickering, under those circumstances, and it's not a problem spesific to your game. I don't know if there is a fix for the NH objects, other than slightly moving the objects so they get elevated enough above ground to stop flickering (another problem is that then they're likely to hover in the air).

The issue also exists sometimes with CAS/buy/build items, and those can often be fixed by editing the mesh.