Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#13151 Old 25th Jun 2024 at 9:40 AM
Yes for sure. I spent a really really long time creating a set of "scissor style" flats once for the game with CFE - never ever played them because they do not offer any advantage in the game as opposed to real life and they are just annoyingly fiddly. IRL, they allow less building materials to be used on the stairwell.

Also, I have been trying to recreate the block of flats I live in now for years - only to get chatting to some neighbours recently and realise that the flat opposite mine is NOT a mirrored floorplan, it has fewer rooms!! That makes sense, because when I tried to build them mirrored, the one in between us was so small that I couldn't fit any rooms into it at all.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#13152 Old 25th Jun 2024 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I tried to build my own house in the Sims 1. Failed miserably because we live on a slope with a garage under half of the house and the back half flat on the ground.

Yeah, I live in a townhouse built into a hill with a walk-out basement. I've tried to recreate it in Sims 2 but it's hard to get the proportions right with the game limitations.
Instructor
#13153 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 2:08 AM
WHY did Vivian Cho have to 1) get a chance card today and 2) get promoted from that chance card? I had made the conscious decision of sending her to work without eating so that she would replenish her hunger while at work. And of course the ONE TIME I don't want to get promoted with a chance card I get promoted with a chance card to come home before lunch. She grabbed a bag of chips from the fridge but starved to death before she could eat it... Poor Vivian. Quite literally suffering from success.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
Top Secret Researcher
#13154 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
WHY did Vivian Cho have to 1) get a chance card today and 2) get promoted from that chance card? I had made the conscious decision of sending her to work without eating so that she would replenish her hunger while at work. And of course the ONE TIME I don't want to get promoted with a chance card I get promoted with a chance card to come home before lunch. She grabbed a bag of chips from the fridge but starved to death before she could eat it... Poor Vivian. Quite literally suffering from success.

Did her new job level not have her on schedule for that same time? If I'm desperate for money or at-work food I'll send them right back to work if I can after that.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Instructor
#13155 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
Did her new job level not have her on schedule for that same time? If I'm desperate for money or at-work food I'll send them right back to work if I can after that.

I didn't think of that but no, she was promoted from Intern to Resident. Not only are Interns working 09-18 and Residents 18-01, it was a Wednesday which is a day off for Residents. She should've just kept her mouth shut at that meeting instead of speaking up about the flaw she found on some surgery technique...

Mad Poster
#13156 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 4:54 AM
Next time, get her an instant meal. They don't sit down to eat it and therefore get to it faster and it'll get them to a level where they can survive getting leftovers.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13157 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 9:04 AM
I always completely forget about the instant meals!
Mad Poster
#13158 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 4:17 PM

Why did you send her to work so hungry that she was in danger of dying?
Instructor
#13159 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 5:04 PM
Why did you send her to work so hungry that she was in danger of dying?

She had spent the night taking care of Etsu, I focused on getting her energy and fun up because I knew she would eat at work so she would come home in a great mood for one final push before Etsu grew up. I just wasn't expecting a chance card to get her promoted before lunch time, I didn't even have the 80% success rate aspiration benefit. Etsu has now been adopted by Timothy Riley who was babysitting her while her mother was starving to death.

Vivian Cho is the first unnatural death I've had in my games in what, 10 years? Unlucky set of circumstances but more fuel to my Belladonna fire, I don't remember the last time I had this much fun playing premades.

Mad Poster
#13160 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 6:24 PM
She had spent the night taking care of Etsu, I focused on getting her energy and fun up because I knew she would eat at work so she would come home in a great mood for one final push before Etsu grew up. I just wasn't expecting a chance card to get her promoted before lunch time, I didn't even have the 80% success rate aspiration benefit. Etsu has now been adopted by Timothy Riley who was babysitting her while her mother was starving to death.

Vivian Cho is the first unnatural death I've had in my games in what, 10 years? Unlucky set of circumstances but more fuel to my Belladonna fire, I don't remember the last time I had this much fun playing premades.

LOL, different playstyles. I don't send my sims to bed hungry.
Instructor
#13161 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 6:39 PM
With Vivian Cho I really wanted to lean into the "struggling single parent" trope. I tried to prioritise taking care of Etsu and making sure she learned every toddler skill to the detriment of Vivian. Unfortunately I leaned into it too much... She would always ask Timothy to take care of Etsu while at work and their romance was just starting to bloom. At least one of the last interactions they had was sharing their first kiss.

Mad Poster
#13162 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 8:52 PM
... Maybe Timothy could adopt Etsu. Or even foster her - you can teleport the child in from the adoption pool and add to the household without actually adopting them.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#13163 Old 26th Jun 2024 at 10:45 PM
Way ahead of you! Timothy already adopted Etsu, but it's a shame that wiped her memories. As a small child I would think she would have at least a vague recollection of her mother.

Mad Poster
#13164 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 4:27 PM
Yeah, that's why I don't like the social worker to take older children.
Mad Poster
#13165 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 1:36 PM
Personally I get annoyed by them falling asleep in their food so I am more likely to make them sleep then eat. But honestly the only starvation deaths I've ever had are pregnant sims or during an apocalypse challenge. Pregnancy tanks their hunger so fast it takes me by surprise sometimes.

For the menories, you can always go into SimPE and put them back or at least the relationship (family ties).

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#13166 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 2:01 PM
Memories aren't wiped till the adoption happens, so if you move the kid in with the teleporter they'll remember. You would have to use an editing tool to make them official family in that case.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#13167 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Memories aren't wiped till the adoption happens, so if you move the kid in with the teleporter they'll remember. You would have to use an editing tool to make them official family in that case.

I use this. https://modthesims.info/d/620238/found-family.html
Mad Poster
#13168 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin

There's a hack that prevents the memory loss entirely!

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#13169 Old Yesterday at 3:48 AM
Question: how should I interpret Chastity Gere's relation with the Clevelands? I know this sounds like a really stupid question but, unless something got borked in my game between clean templates and mods, the European Portuguese version of Chastity Gere aka Carlota Gerardo shares her last name with the Cleveland family, or Gerardo family. So to me it makes sense to headcanon some sort of familial relationship between them. If Chastity's parents are both Gerardos and so is the Jason side of the Clevelands, what should their link be?

Mad Poster
#13170 Old Yesterday at 3:57 AM
The Wiki mentions a possibly deleted Sim in her family tree.

Some non-English versions of the game also have an interesting translation for the strangetown Bella Goth's name.

Instructor
#13171 Old Today at 12:52 AM
I've been writing a summary of what's been going on in Belladonna Cove as I do intend on reviving my simblr eventually and there's a pretty clear distinction on the text size between the households I like and the households I don't care about. Like what is even the point of the Patel family existing?

(my text so far for the Patels is, and I quote, "who cares?")

Forum Resident
#13172 Old Today at 2:43 AM Last edited by bnefriends : Today at 3:12 AM. Reason: Add reply to another post
Yeah, that's why I don't like the social worker to take older children.

And here I am coming up with story lines in which teenagers get taken by the social worker, which doesn't actually happen in the game.

Edit to add reply to another post:

I tried to build my own house in the Sims 1. Failed miserably because we live on a slope with a garage under half of the house and the back half flat on the ground.

I probably could build my house in the game with relative ease. It's a mid-century Mackle Brothers house built in 1961. There are other houses of this style on MTS, not exactly like mine but similar. I've actually thought about making a neighborhood map based on Port Charlotte with a bunch of mid-century Florida houses and adding it to the megahood (and then making a neighborhood map based on Deep Creek, move all the Pleasantview people there, and call that neighborhood Pleasantview since I visualize Pleasantview as Deep Creek).
Mad Poster
#13173 Old Today at 3:12 AM
I was very excited to find the option playing Starfield today to actually have positive and negative consequences for keeping your character fed and hydrated (and disappointed there wasn't a similar option for maintaining a regular sleep schedule lol)... I wonder if spending so much time with the various Sims games carries over to make players more likely to enjoy that kind of basic life maintenance aspect in other games too...?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Forum Resident
#13174 Old Today at 3:38 AM
Does anyone else ever visualize their Sims as part of real life institutions extending beyond the limitations of the game mechanics? For example, I like to visualize the Pleasant twins being born at St. Joseph's Hospital (which is now called ShorePoint), Lilith Pleasant as a middle schooler at the old pre-Hurricane Charley Punta Gorda Middle School skipping class and getting caught by Mrs. Dionisio, Angela Pleasant as a cheerleader at Port Charlotte High School, and Don Lothario as a medical intern at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. I can also see Daniel Pleasant being a coach for a major league team like the Tampa Bay Rays or the Buccaneers and the scientific Goths as civilian DoD employees (I'm thinking along the lines of Jeff Pleasant being military, my first successful family in the Sims 1 aka the Smyths being military, and General Buzz in nearby Strangetown being military; there must be a military installation near by).
Mad Poster
#13175 Old Today at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
... I wonder if spending so much time with the various Sims games carries over to make players more likely to enjoy that kind of basic life maintenance aspect in other games too...?

I didn't even know you played with actual Sims instead of just building. :p

Page 527 of 527