Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 11:16 AM
Default They should port the original game to tablets.
I would love to see The Sims 1 ported to the tablet OS's. It would need some code optimization, and control changes, but other companies have done it. I run GTA 3 on ios. Also, The Sims hasn't appeared in a good form on tablets yet. Even if they made the base game $5.00 and the EP's .99 in-app purchases, they'd make so much money off nostalgia alone.

So what do you guys think, would it be a good idea?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 11:21 AM
I think that it would be wonderful!
I'd love playing Sims 1 on my tablet *___*
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:21 PM
I'd probably get a tablet if The Sims and a pared down version of Sims 2 could be put on a tablet.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:53 PM
The game would be perfect for it because it is so simple in its gameplay and graphics. The base game, at least.

I really love your idea.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 12:53 AM
They already have The Sims Freeplay for iOS and Android. It's like a tablet version of Sims 3, though, and everything runs in real time, which is annoying.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 5:12 AM
I've often thought of this while playing games on my iPad. There are some really impressive games on tablets that are beyond the technicalities of The Sims 1. Although I would love it and TOTALLY spend money on buying it, I highly doubt it'll happen since TS1 is old and dead to EA.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ohgreatone22
They already have The Sims Freeplay for iOS and Android. It's like a tablet version of Sims 3, though, and everything runs in real time, which is annoying.

As I said, it hasn't appeared in a good form on tablets. Freeplay is nothing more than a scammy version of SimSocial for ios and android devices
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 11:32 AM Last edited by gazania : 21st Feb 2013 at 11:45 AM.
I remember how excited I was to be able to get most of the Sims 1 series onto my netbook three years ago. (It balked beyond Unleashed. I didn't push the matter.) I have to travel to a house where there is no Internet (not everyone likes being connected, or wants a computer at all ), and TV is boring. Reading is great, and I find lots of older magazines and books around to do that during the day, in-between various activities, or after dinner. Walking is rather difficult in this instance. (I can play only at night, and this is not the best area to take a walk in the dark.)

But I do miss a little Sims enjoyment (I'm a Sims 2 player) and The Sims fits the bill when I need a Sims fix, or when I'm stressed out (these visits are not easy on me, I'm afraid), or both. I can spend hours "catching up" with my old Simmies.

I suppose that EA, in its great wisdom, has decided we mortals should not desire The Sims anymore, as WooHoo31 wrote. Period. At least I was able to get most of The Sims on a netbook. Tablet users aren't as lucky. I can only hope that if someone actually does manage to figure out how to do this for tablet users (and they might--it seems that many people want to play older games on their tablets, judging from a few forums), you folks, too, will be as excited as I was to get your Sims fix satisfied with a REAL Sims game.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2013 at 4:05 PM
I think the only hope for a tablet sims# game is if the linux community (many tablets run Android which is a tablet version of linux) gets wine (the windows emulator) working to the point it will run the sims games. Sims, alas, has a very low (doesn't run) compatibility rating with wine. Perhaps even simgolf would then be available to tablets if Wine were more resilient.

SimsFreePlay must be run on line. Some users have hacked the code to trick it into thinking it is connected and run it offline. But EA's official position is that Sims will be online only because that is the only format that is consistent with their vision of the future.

Personally, I think this is very short sighted of EA. I conclude that some executives have decided that if they could force people to stay connected and constantly bombard them with little treats that improved playability, that they could make a fortune. My view is that I don't even download games that must be constantly connected and I immediately uninstall them if I find they need to be connected or are unplayable/unfun without buying additional treats. I will buy a fun game that has a free trial type version if it is fun to play. I do not bother to play games that are unfun without constantly paying more money. I uninstall them as soon as I discover they are unfun. I suspect most players are more aligned wiith my version of fun that EAs version of cash-cow.

Still, I would LOVE to be able to play sims1 on my tablet or phone and would gladly rebuy it.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by deann000
I think the only hope for a tablet sims# game is if the linux community (many tablets run Android which is a tablet version of linux) gets wine (the windows emulator) working to the point it will run the sims games. Sims, alas, has a very low (doesn't run) compatibility rating with wine. Perhaps even simgolf would then be available to tablets if Wine were more resilient.

SimsFreePlay must be run on line. Some users have hacked the code to trick it into thinking it is connected and run it offline. But EA's official position is that Sims will be online only because that is the only format that is consistent with their vision of the future.

Personally, I think this is very short sighted of EA. I conclude that some executives have decided that if they could force people to stay connected and constantly bombard them with little treats that improved playability, that they could make a fortune. My view is that I don't even download games that must be constantly connected and I immediately uninstall them if I find they need to be connected or are unplayable/unfun without buying additional treats. I will buy a fun game that has a free trial type version if it is fun to play. I do not bother to play games that are unfun without constantly paying more money. I uninstall them as soon as I discover they are unfun. I suspect most players are more aligned wiith my version of fun that EAs version of cash-cow.

Still, I would LOVE to be able to play sims1 on my tablet or phone and would gladly rebuy it.

They don't even have it running on ARM so it doesn't matter what the rating is because you won't be getting it.

And what are you on about that Sims is online only and I doubt they hacked The Sims Freeplay to run offline because iOS is a walled garden, so is the game and you can't mod the game either.
Alchemist
#11 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 2:48 PM
I'd buy it
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 14th Apr 2013 at 5:11 PM
The original sims games would not sell well as they have outbated graphics and I do not think sims 1 would be easy to play on a touch screen as it is awakard to play with on a touch pad on a pc.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Test Subject
#13 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 1:56 PM
I think it would be a hit! Personally I don't like The Sims Freeplay for android because it gets so too confusing when you get 10 sims to take care of... That was when I thought it was boring, so I would love to get the original sims game - maybe enlarged so it's easier to navigate with touch screen!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 28th Apr 2013 at 8:15 AM
They cant port it because they know they cant force online or have micro transactions in game.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Apr 2013 at 10:57 PM
Well, I don't have a tablet...Strange thing for me to say, coming from a Microsoft employee's daughter.
I just don't have the time and money for a tablet.
Besides, I can run Sims 1 on my Windows 7 computer by first starting the game up via the "Run as Administrator" option.

I can play all my Sims games on this computer I have.
I'm a retro gamer and a girl. Usually when I say I'm a gamer elsewhere online, they assume I'm a guy.
I still have Sonic Adventure for PC in my collection.

Regardless if there is viability or not for a 13-year-old game for teenagers and up to be ported, I still admire the gameplay back then where it reminded me of my first game I bought all by myself: Sonic Adventure.

Sonic Adventure had a simulated life form system like The Sims 1. The Chao Gardens are what I'm talking about. Unknown to me, the basic rules of the Chao garden prepped me for Sim care.

In both The Sims and the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure:
You are to look after creatures.
They have happiness and sadness like everyone else.
Up to 8 can live in one garden.

Regardless if this little post doesn't make much sense, the mere fact that just talking of the memories of both games is enough to remind me of my controlling tendencies.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Test Subject
#16 Old 19th Nov 2013 at 5:57 AM
The Sims 1 would also be to be ported to Linux or other independent OSes.