Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1051 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 2:09 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 20th Jul 2024 at 5:00 AM. Reason: Clarity and Addendum
My God...if I had $100 for the phenomenal reaction of "1 glitch fixed, 40 crop up..." I wouldn't need the government.

The world-wide IT outage even gave the Sphere in Las Vegas one of biggest of the "blue screen of death" Earth has seen.

Flights are grounded, communication servers down...you get the point. It's a good thing my phone and desktop weren't affected.

However, due to banks being affected, transactions at ATMs are affected, and most likely, branch computer systems may be impacted in branches that use paperless records.

I am not having a good week. I had three days in a row visiting a different doctor. I'm still trying to work on getting my housekeeping job back after almost the bulk of a year out of action. I hope the weekend is easy

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Theorist
#1052 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 12:12 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 21st Jul 2024 at 12:24 PM.
Grumpy. Being grumpy over yet another dog seizure is stupid as being grouchy doesn't change anything, but I am. The last time Chica's meds were changed, she went a month before having another seizure. She was put on Potassium Bromide about 2 weeks ago, then this morning happened. She's fine, but

I did all the usual things. She had her morning dose of pheno to prevent a second seizure and I've emailed my vet. I don't think she's in today, but if whoever reads my email thinks what happened this morning warrants a phone call, they'll ( either a tech or vet that is on today) call me later.

EDIT: Nope, that last bit was a lie. I keep thinking today is Saturday, it's Sunday. If we have to deal with any vet today, it will be a emergency vet if there is a problem. I'll be hearing from my vet tomorrow or whenever she's in.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1053 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 3:45 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 22nd Jul 2024 at 1:22 AM. Reason: Addendums
Trying to wake up so I can have a regular sleep cycle? Evidently not in the cards.

However, I did find some dolls online that were no longer in production. The fact they were for sale was a sign of numerous indications.

It's been awhile since I bought any dolls. Besides, I have something to work on.

Tomorrow, I have fasting for a pre-op appointment for sedated dental in August.

(Unfortunately, laughing gas and halcyon doesn't have any effect on me. They need the big guns when it comes to sedation.)

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Scholar
#1054 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 5:05 PM
Ok so normally my job just exists. I don't have too may opinions about it, I'm alright at it, the team is decent blah blah totally unproblematic. Until the recent drama that is. Its been a few weeks now and it sucks. Can I go back to my normal job yet?? Yeah its a temporary/emergency situation or whatever but thats what contractors and agencies are for. So anyway, my mid year review with my normal manager is coming up and I'll be informing them that I'm dissatisfied with the situation but like in business speak. I'll probs say that I'm ok with doing the work until the date they originally set (end of summer hols) but no more. We'll see what happens lol
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1055 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 1:19 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 24th Jul 2024 at 1:56 AM. Reason: Clarity, Addendum, Tweaks and Errors
Currently saving up for a bed that can be put away when not in use. (Not a Murphy bed, those could kill me). I'm talking about a traditional Japanese bed. I am also considering buying a TV stand for my late grandmother's TV (it was the last one she watched before passing away) and I have to shop around.

Yesterday, I had bad news about having an AV block.

Today, it turned out one of my meds was screwing with the AI in the EKG tests.

I don't have any heart problems beyond the racing heart rate when struck with anxiety.

So, Round 1 is over for the pre-op appointments for sedated dental surgery.

I plan on installing hair extensions and I am talking "past my butt" long (A little past what is called "Classic Length") in orange, purple and red.

Theorist
#1056 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Currently saving up for a bed that can be put away when not in use. (Not a Murphy bed, those could kill me).
I'm pretty sure you can just mod that out.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1057 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 8:54 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 24th Jul 2024 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Clarity, Addendum, Tweaks and Errors
I spent today house-sitting and checking in on my mother after she came home from work and the doctor.

Planning how I want to do my hair. I would like color to be the big deal.

Scratch that. My mom would wait until Back to School season to do my hair. (I graduated half a lifetime ago)

I probably would like to get back to doll customization. I am the type to swap doll heads and bodies for a Frankenstein'd but legit-looking doll.

I take dolls with limited articulation and swap their head onto a more articulated doll. Hard part is donor bodies (finding dolls with matching skin tones for both head and body.)

My parents joke about it, calling me "Sydney Phillips" a nod to Toy Story's first antagonist, Sid Phillips, whom the Pixar think tank dubbed his behavior as "a twisted sense of fun" and shows it through play acting.

Theorist
#1058 Old 25th Jul 2024 at 2:12 PM

https://youtu.be/Xgenx9OD6BM?feature=shared&t=430

Ro was complaining about how this company won't post their nutrition facts for these smoothies online. A person has to call their corporate office to get said info. Gee, I wonder why.... bruh.

For comparison, a 4 oz Snickers Bar has 28 grams of sugar.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nu...ckers-bar,4528/
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#1059 Old 25th Jul 2024 at 5:51 PM
That thing is packed with fruits, maple syrup, dried berries, and what have you. Some of the sugars are technically "healthy" since they're part of the fruits (even if they're much healthier non-smoothiefied, since the fibre isn't mashed up, and you actually have to eat everything instead of drinking it. Smoothies lets you pack a lot more in there, which isn't necessarily a good thing if you don't need it, and most people don't).

If we're comparing apples to oranges, a 20 oz snickers bar would have 140 grams of sugar. Doesn't necessarily make any of them a much healthier snack than the other, though. All in moderation - eating several snickers bars or drinking these smoothies every day probably isn't too healthy (or good for the wallet).

20 oz of smoothie would be around 500 grams, and with 79 grams of carbohydrates it's not the absolute worst I've seen for a fruit drink, though on the high side. Would be roughly 15 mg/100ml (some of the ingredients used are around 10-13g sugar/100g mark, and maple syrup alone drives it up (about 67g sugar/100g). However, it's drinking the full amount that's worrying.

The prize is absolutely ridicolous. You can make them at home for probably a forth of the price (she used expensive-ish ingredients - not everyone needs their stuff to be bought in the most expensive grocery shops and be organic/what have you)

But yeah - they should absolutely have their nutrition facts readily available, in addition to potential allergens and all that stuff. Aren't there rules for these things to have lists of ingredients in case of allergens? Also, it should differentiate between sugars, added sugars and other carbohydrates (since sugar is present in most of the ingredients of the smoothie). People tend to get upset with sugars in food, but forget that carbohydrates in some form or another are present in most foods and aren't always bad for you.

Smoothies are fine as a treat, but one that size is probably not the best to consume daily. Maybe cut the syrup and some of the unnecessary filler ingredients (the entire thing sounds a bit like a badly disguised ad for "healthy" addons like protein powders, collagen powders, and various other stuff that don't come with any fully proven health benefits but are ridicolously expensive), and spare your wallet and health a bit...
Theorist
#1060 Old 25th Jul 2024 at 6:08 PM
I wasn't suggesting a Snickers bar is better, I just find it absurd that a smoothie can come in at almost 1,000 calories, most of which in this case is sugar. If people want to eat fruit, just eat the fruit. The fiber in the fruit will slow down the processing of the sugar.

There are laws regarding food labeling, but those laws apply mostly to food manufacturers. Dumping a bunch of syrup into a cup to make something 'taste better' doesn't apply to smoothie making. Starbucks does the same thing which has turned their coffee into another form of calorie bombs. While I'm sure some people do actually buy coffee, most people get syrup with a splash of coffee.

It is fair to say that when people buy these, they are not leaving with just these almost 1000 calorie bombs.
Mad Poster
#1061 Old 25th Jul 2024 at 6:30 PM
^ They're also leaving the place with their wallets robbed. I think it was 18-20$ for one smoothie? These particular smoothies are made for people with money. I've had freshly made ones for maybe a third that price (a few years ago, but still). And not a drop of extra syrup/sugar added, other than fruits and juices (which are sugary, but still)...

Starbucks is mostly for people who don't like coffee (which is fine, there's no need to substitute it, especially not with syrupy whatever it is). Smoothies (in general) are for people who like to think they're being healthy. Pretty much everything commercially made or made under the roof of a commercial setting is a calorie bomb these days, even the "healthy" stuff (people can't even eat salads without dunking them in dressing. There's always a sauce. Portions are huge. Sugar is used for flavoring. And so on. Always some sneaky stuff in there. And people gobble it up, whether they are aware or not).

I don't know about US laws, but laws regarding food (even served fresh) - whether it's restaurants, smoothie making, portable stands, etc. are quite strict where I live, so in recent years there are precious few places I've not seen nutrition labels (if possible - usually not for restaurants and other by-order food) and/or some sort of ingredient list (for allergy purposes) in clear sight, or easily available at request.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1062 Old 26th Jul 2024 at 2:45 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 26th Jul 2024 at 4:03 AM. Reason: Clarity and Addendum
I spent a good portion of today throwing out expired foods, neatening up my medicine cabinet and preparing unwanted meds for the police department to dispose of (in my jurisdiction, any medicine is to be handled by police staff if you must get rid of it without contamination of the environment and misuse\abuse of substances).

I even got a reassuring call concerning medicine I was given samples for my condition.

I had kept busy today.

Mad Poster
#1063 Old 27th Jul 2024 at 4:17 PM
Today I suddenly remembered a song and only the artist's name, or rather his former one. I just had to find it to get that nagging out of my head.
So it took me about an hour trying to find an obscure track which is -ironically- called; Obsessive.

I come in peace
#1064 Old 28th Jul 2024 at 3:25 PM
Found the new bed and TV stand I want in my room.

My mom found one of my money related payment cards in her purse. Odd...I must have forgotten about it.

Still, it's quite a Sunday.

Mad Poster
#1065 Old Yesterday at 3:54 AM Last edited by simmer22 : Yesterday at 6:58 PM.
Drained, after two 12+ hour shifts.

And a huge spider just came zooming across the floor (managed to box it in, but way too tired so not sure what to do with it yet).

Edit: Spider disposed of. Biggest one I've seen in a while - about half the size of a regular pen...
Theorist
#1066 Old Yesterday at 2:21 PM
Before our trip from one vacation to the other (from staying at a hostel that's usually a student dorm over the year, to a friend's vacation home), we stopped by at McDonald's and I ordered a small McMenu (it's the burger with medium fries and a medium drink). I instead got a large drink. Quite a refreshing error on their part, especially given that we're under a red warning for extreme high temperature here.
Scholar
#1067 Old Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Today I saw a blue sky for the first time in years.

I had not understood, til recently, why even a clear, cloudless summer sky should appear smokey and grey. Or why there were so few stars in the sky even, on a clear night. I had not connected these phenomena with my cataracts, until they recently became very bad.

Well, today I had the long awaited operation on my right eye and as I came out afterwards, and was marvelling at the fact that I could now read the number plate on my brother's car, I looked up and saw a blue sky. I could not look for long: my eye was still dilated from the drops they'd put in it, and the bright light was quite intolerable without dark glasses. But that one brief glance was enough. Blue is my new favourite colour.

As for the lack of stars: I had long since put that down to light pollution, and thought that if I could once escape the city's street lighting, and get out onto my beloved Dartmoor, I should see the night sky again in all it's glory. Well, I might do that soon, but meanwhile I need go no further than my own back garden. Wonderful!

I will need to use the dark glasses for a few days, especially if this sunny weather continues, and I will need to put in drops three times a day for six weeks (something I detest doing). But they say I will see an improvement when my vision settles down. I probably will still need glasses, but so long as I can see colours properly, and can read, I shall be well content.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

tumblr: Elyndaworld *** tumblr: Queen Lucy (new)
Test Subject
#1068 Old Today at 12:25 AM
I woke up at 1pm today lmao. I went to a convention yesterday with my sister-in-spirit though so I'm excusing it. Other than that I've just been watching youtube, downloading custom content and browsing ao3.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1069 Old Today at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
Today I saw a blue sky for the first time in years.

I'm really glad your cataract op went well, I hope your eye heals well and you'll soon be enjoying the summer. Say hi to Dartmoor for me, lovely place, I haven't been there for a while!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1070 Old Today at 4:24 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : Today at 4:41 PM. Reason: Clarity and Addendum
Shopping Day! I got Seasons 11-20 of the Simpsons and the movie at second hand stores online through Amazon.

Also at Amazon, I bought a doll with 22 points of articulation for a "surgical operation" (I swap the heads around because I bought a doll with a head that was perfect, but only 5 points of articulation), a organizer for my toothpaste, a cat rice mold and some food coloring for my current kick in cooking and baking.

I even bought my mom a gift of a silly tee shirt she liked of avocado-shaped cats.

Then I also picked up two new flavors of toothpaste from that Australian smilecare boutique. Orange Soda and Ice Pop were the flavors.

And prior to it all, I wrote a couple of checks as per adulting.

Today, I am taking it easy as I have an appointment on Thursday with my therapist.

Right now, my parents are on a date today since my mom doesn't have to work overtime today and it's my dad's day off before resuming work.

He's been out in the sun, lifting half a ton of pool salt for one customer at the local Walmart's outdoor center, so he's got a farmer's tan and he's getting stronger and happier.

My father is the type of man who could be described as "genie-like" because he's happiest when productive.

Don't make him idle. Either put him to work or send him home to fix up the house.

Scholar
#1071 Old Today at 8:38 PM
@simsample

Thankyou. Now I have six weeks before my post op examination, and then it will be time to think abut the other eye, which as I said earlier will be a more involved procedure.

I've been ordered not to do any gardening for the next fortnight, can't risk getting any dirt in my eye, But at least I can now properly appreciate the results of all the work I have done so far. As I left home yesterday morning an Iris was beginning to open. I had thought it was orange, but now my good right eye tells me it is a beautiful shade of deep pink..

In other good news I am officially excused cleaning duties for a fortnight: mustn't go stirring up any dust. So, if I can't garden, and I can't do housework, I may as well get back to some serious simming. My sister is already half convinced that I do nothing but slob about in pyjamas, eat junk food and play video games all day. Not true! I don't wear pyjamas..

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

tumblr: Elyndaworld *** tumblr: Queen Lucy (new)
Page 43 of 43