Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 10:23 PM
Default LOD Meshes?
Hey, I was going through the meshes in the game, and noticed that some meshes have duplicates, and a bunch have LOD on the end of a duplicate name. I exported two hairs, the main hair (afhairbun) and exported the LOD hair (afhairbunLOD) and looked at them in milkshape. They were the same! What is the point of having these duplicates? I've always wondered this. They seem to be the same, so I don't understand why they are there. Can anyone explain?
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 10:34 PM
okay, so i looked through it, and the UV Maps look different. I uploaded the texture thing here, maybe that can help someone
Screenshots
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 10:47 PM
I assume the two different meshes are for different levels of sim/object detail in the game... You certainly do get different meshes at different detail settings... I had to reinstall last night and though my texture detail was up, I hadn't turned the sim/object detail up... I created a sim with the Maxis pigtail braids hair mesh and when she turned her head, the braids would crunch like user-made hair meshes made before we could do interesting bone assignments, and her shoulders were all squared, very similar to some user body meshes. Turn up the detail and all was well...

I took a look at the afhairbun in Milkshape and though they're shaped the same, the regular mesh has something like 700 polys and the LOD15 one is more like 400 something. I always thought it was the other way around... LOD15 meshes are for higher detail, but it appears it's probably the opposite.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong, but that's the way it looks to me.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 11:26 PM
thanks. I was assuming that, but wasn't sure. But otherwise, how come only certain meshes have that LOD? if they were going to lower the quality, wouldn't they make all meshes that way?
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 11:32 PM
Wait, you're expecting logic from the way Maxis does its meshes? Oh, you're so silly!

Seriously, though, I don't know why it's for some and not others. I suppose maybe if one went through and looked at all the meshes that have them, there might be some rhyme or reason... maybe if they could significantly reduce the poly count on certain meshes, they did it for those, but didn't bother on ones where they couldn't reduce it much.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 11:35 PM
lol, well I find no logic at all from Maxis, why they didnt fix those OFB meshes and include them, why I found the textures for a mesh that they have previewed in pictures but didnt include in the actual game, and couldnt find the mesh, and why they had one random teen female mesh, and three textures (spikes mesh, blue pink and green textures), but no use anywhere in the game.. :P
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 11:51 PM
I also haven't seen anyone do anything with... I think it's amhairmessywild or curlywild or something like that (base game) that comes up sometimes on sims sitting in the neighborhood chooser, but never in the game (I've looked for textures but can't find them). Not so sure about unused textures... I know there's a lot of hair recolours that only seem to show up under change appearance in custom hair, not in custom hairs in CAS, and I'm pretty sure you don't see them anywhere if you have any custom hairs of your own downloaded or made. Setting a hair colour to 6 when binning puts it in there, I think. Maybe those textures are like that?

If you really want a laugh, take a look at the behavior of glassesthinrims - recolours only work for females (males get the colour from the material definition only, not the texture), and males can't wear them from teen and up unless they've aged wearing them.

Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 11:56 PM
i found textures for a mesh by Maxis called "ufhairbunbangs" but ive never found the mesh. I found the textures in the sims08.package (i think) and they dont fit with any mesh at all, they seem to have their own unique alpha, but again, no mesh to go with it
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 12:10 AM
Weiiiiird. Just took a look at it. Looks like yet another unfinished remnant... The texture's pretty crude for Maxis stuff, and the alpha doesn't really match up. Can't even really tell what shape it should be from that texture, but looks pretty simplistic.

Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 12:35 AM Last edited by DJ_Mur3 : 11th Apr 2006 at 12:42 AM.
I know what it is. I've seen pictures from it. Look here:

I think its the hair on the mom. I can't be sure but that's what it looks like. I haven't found anything for the hair on the policeman either. I've seen a better picture of it, but I can't find any one now. I know I've seen some of the sims in the family tree from Maxis-made sims with that hair (but theyre sims that don't exist in anything but a picture.) Perhaps its a mesh that only Maxis has?
Instructor
#11 Old 12th Apr 2006 at 10:58 AM
Hopefully, Maxis will make a Shopping Pack with all the things they left out, RIGHT from the beginning. LIke that girl on the left, with red hair in CAS, in a movie of maybe 1month till TS2s release, her hair was in there, but not in the game, is sucks! But i LOVED(!!!!!!!!!! )her hair, and that woman in your pic, Dave
*fingers crossed*

DONT ASK ME FOR A REQUEST ^-^
New Policy,applies to all my meshes ^-^
Im not meshing/Simming now,details in my Policy thing