1 people viewing
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#13276 Old Yesterday at 8:17 PM
OMG. Why must I be so indecisive.

I have made a very good and complete (if I do say so myself ) mod which makes sim interest-allocation and age change work exactly the way I want it. It's totally ready to upload. Nobody else cares about this, or is bothered by the unbalanced interest allocation as much as I am, or there would have been other mods made to fix it in the last 17 years. (It has only been broken since Freetime).

So why am I sitting here pondering about how many versions to offer, and do I offer a modular version or not, and would that make it too complicated, and I want people just to be able to grab one thing and not be confused.

Actually. This doesn't matter. I can combine the two main features into one. The tuning can be done within the main file. The third optional feature can be separate. I can super quickly make the other version I had another idea for. The end.

Thank you for coming to my Sims 2 Random Thought Spiral.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#13277 Old Yesterday at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
What omglo mentioned. The Sims games have always been groundbreaking with LGBT stuff. They had gay sims when other games were being abused for having them. The one thing they've done right is to keep that up with newer games as society changes. From civil unions in Sims 1 to gay marriage to transgender options in Sims 4.

They'd meant to left same-sex romance out of the first game, but forgot to tell a newly-hired programmer about it:
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/anna...ged-video-games

Quote:
During The Sims’s protracted development, the team had debated whether to permit same-sex relationships in the game. If this digital petri dish was to accurately model all aspects of human life, from work to play and love, it was natural that it would facilitate gay relationships. But there was also fear about how such a feature might adversely affect the game. “No other game had facilitated same-sex relationships before—at least, to this extent—and some people figured that maybe we weren’t the ideal ones to be first, as this was a game that E.A. really didn’t want to begin with,” Barret told me. “It felt to me like a fear thing.” After going back and forth for several months, the team finally decided to leave same-sex relationships out of the game code.

When Barrett joined the company, in October, 1998, he was unaware of the decision. A fortnight into his new job, he found himself with nothing to do when his supervisor, the game’s lead programmer, Jamie Doornbos, took a short vacation. Jim Mackraz, Barrett’s boss, needed a task to occupy his new employee, and he handed Barrett a document that outlined how social interactions in the game would work; the underlying rules for the game’s A.I. that would dictate how the characters would dynamically interact with one another. “He didn’t think I could handle it with Jamie off on vacation, but he figured that at least I’d be out of his hair,” Barrett told me. “Neither he nor I realized that he’d given me an old design document to work from.”

That design document predated the decision to exclude gay relationships in the game. Its pages described a web of social interactions, in which every kind of romantic relationship was permitted. That week, Barrett confounded the expectations of his disbelieving boss. He successfully wrote the basic code for social interactions, including same-sex relationships. “In hindsight, I probably should have questioned the design,” Barrett, who is gay, said. “But the design felt right, so I just implemented it. Later, Will Wright stopped by my desk,” Barrett said. “He told me that liked the social interactions, and that he was glad to see that same-sex support was back in the game.” Nobody on the team questioned Barrett’s work. “They just pretty much ignored it,” he said. “After a while, everyone was just used to the design being there. It was widely expected that E.A. would just kill it, anyway.”

In early 1999, before E.A. had a chance to kill the design, Barrett was asked to create a demo of the game to be shown at E3. The demo would consist of three scenes from the game. These were to be so-called on-rails scenes—not a true, live simulation but one that was preplanned, and which would shake out the same way each time it was played, in order to show the game in its best light. One of the scenes was a wedding between two Sims characters. “I had run out of time before E3, and there were so many Sims attending the wedding that I didn’t have time to put them all on rails,” Barrett said.

On the first day of the show, the game’s producers, Kana Ryan and Chris Trottier, watched in disbelief as two of the female Sims attending the virtual wedding leaned in and began to passionately kiss. They had, during the live simulation, fallen in love. Moreover, they had chosen this moment to express their affection, in front of a live audience of assorted press.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#13278 Old Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Spending basically all of my free time watching the Olympics right now instead of playing PC or console games or reading has me thinking about stadiums in the game again. Even though they're really not all that useful, I still love designing them for some reason, and at this point I've done baseball, soccer/football, basketball, hockey, a massive concert venue, gridiron football (part of my university that's not done yet), and now Quidditch... I'm running out of events lol! About all I can think of that I'm still excited to do as something new and different is a fantasy/medieval arena for something like a tournament/gladiatorial melee...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#13279 Old Today at 2:08 AM
Nothing for track and field?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#13280 Old Today at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Spending basically all of my free time watching the Olympics right now instead of playing PC or console games or reading has me thinking about stadiums in the game again. Even though they're really not all that useful, I still love designing them for some reason, and at this point I've done baseball, soccer/football, basketball, hockey, a massive concert venue, gridiron football (part of my university that's not done yet), and now Quidditch... I'm running out of events lol! About all I can think of that I'm still excited to do as something new and different is a fantasy/medieval arena for something like a tournament/gladiatorial melee...

Have you considered making a neighbourhood deco building? You could still make something pretty, but not have to worry about making it usable.
Instructor
#13281 Old Today at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra

Hi Zarathustra, I just wanted to say that my game can't exist with your Fisk's Bar along with Kingsman Tailors and that New York townhouse reserved for the Landgraabs. Any time I began a new game I needed to have Fisk's bar and I even once played it as a family business by converting it to a residential lot and making a humble 90s apartment upstairs and the back part into a humble backyard. It's so authentic and grungy in a good way, like a movie set.
Page 532 of 532