Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 2:11 AM Last edited by kenoi : 1st Jul 2024 at 2:27 AM.
Default The Sims Creator - Working in Windows 10 & 11
I managed to get The Sims Creator working in Windows 11. Here is the process, documented:

(You'll need 7-Zip, or another rar unarchiver.)

Installing The Sims Creator:

1. Download TSC from the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/simarchiveprojectreadme
2. Copy the "The Sims Creator" folder from the archive to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis".
3. Copy the no-CD EXE from the "The_Sims_Creator_Fix" rar archive to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims Creator", overwriting the default EXE.

Installing legacy 3D graphics (old DirectX) support for The Sims Creator:

4. Download dgVoodoo2: https://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
5. Copy the files from the MS\x86 folder in the dgVoodoo2 archive to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims Creator".
6. If Windows XP compatibility support is turned on for the Sims Creator EXE, make sure you disable that.

With the dgVoodoo2 libraries installed, The Sims Creator properly works in Windows 10 and 11, and is fully usable.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 2:59 PM
I'm keen to try it out with a graphics tablet -- since TSC allows you to paint straight onto the 3D character/mesh (which is quite an amazing feature for its time).

Will let you know how it went.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 10:01 PM Last edited by kenoi : Yesterday at 10:46 AM.
One thing that isn't working in Windows 11 is that TSC is unable to read the files from the Sims installation directory for me for some reason. If you come across this as well, a workaround for this is to copy the ExpansionPack folders (you don't need the Sound and Skins folders in them, just the FAR files) and the GameData\Animation, GameData\Textures, and GameData\Skins folders directly into TSC's program folder. Then it will load them.

Also, a handy tip: the software doesn't say, but you can hold down the Shift key and drag with the left mouse button to pan. Handy for laptop trackpads. You don't need a middle mouse button.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old Yesterday at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kenoi
I'm keen to try it out with a graphics tablet -- since TSC allows you to paint straight onto the 3D character/mesh (which is quite an amazing feature for its time).

Will let you know how it went.

Yup, sure as heck works!

Using a tablet, you can easily paint on the 3D mesh directly using TSC, and it will paint the textures in the right spot for you.

This tool rocks for body and head skin painting and creation for The Sims.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old Yesterday at 12:35 PM Last edited by kenoi : Yesterday at 1:13 PM.
Keyboard shortcuts in Paint mode:

B - Paintbrush
T - Texture Paintbrush
E - Eraser
I - Color Picker
O - Rotate

Ctrl + Z - Undo

H - Pan
Z - Zoom

(While using the rotate option/tool, holding down the Shift key will allow you to pan as well. Right click and drag zooms in and out.)

R resets the view you've clicked to default position.

W turns the wireframe on or off in the 3D view.

In any mode/view of the software, if you press P, you can set up the 3D renderer/preview graphics.