Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
*simsample gets magnifying glass out* That's no good for me, I need bigger things to click on!
This is what I get using DXWnd, my screen resolution is 1440x900:

It's the most satisfactory solution I found to get this result on my hardware; I daresay others will have different preferences and different solutions for their own hardware.

Hex value for 1440x900
Quote:
20 03 00 00 C7 45 E0 58 02 00 00 6A 01 6A 00 68 20 AD 6C 00 8B 4D EC E8 9F 1C 0E 00 0F B6 C0 85 C0 74 0E C7 45 F0 A0 05 00 00 C7 45 E0 84 03

UI files for 1440x900 : https://www.mediafire.com/file/5nsw...UI1440.rar/file

Have fun
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 4:30 PM
Thanks, yes I tried it- but as you can see, with DxWnd I get fullscreen windowed, without that black border, which I really like.
Test Subject
#28 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 7:15 PM
Thanks, yes I tried it- but as you can see, with DxWnd I get fullscreen windowed, without that black border, which I really like.

the black border is only in the neighbourhood view, normal gameplay is full screen and shows more then on normal resolutions
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:28 AM
Yes, I can get it to work in fullscreen no problem, although of course the neighbourhood screen is tiny, which I don't like. But if I put it into widescreen windowed then I have part of the UI off the bottom of the screen, as I can't find a way to satisfactorily borderless run it. DXWnd gives me exactly what I want- enlarged neighbourhood view and borderless windows. I tried some other utilities to try to force borderless but DXWnd was the one I found works best for me with little overhead on Sims 1. I haven't figured out how to get it to run widescreen on that (although I haven't fiddled with it much, I'm happy with full screen letterboxed as per my screenshots) and other utilities where I have managed to get widescreen borderless windowed have given me the stretched neighbourhood window. I'm not too worried about widescreen; I only have a very old monitor anyway on my sims PC and ancient graphics card, so what I get is enlarged SVGA which is good enough for what I want. I appreciate your attempts to get me running with widescreen, but I spent a lot of time a few years ago when I went to Win 10, on hex editing the exes and running with various APIs and this was my favourite solution. It works well for taking screenshots for me too.
Test Subject
#30 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 1:37 PM
Yes, I can get it to work in fullscreen no problem, although of course the neighbourhood screen is tiny, which I don't like. But if I put it into widescreen windowed then I have part of the UI off the bottom of the screen, as I can't find a way to satisfactorily borderless run it. DXWnd gives me exactly what I want- enlarged neighbourhood view and borderless windows. I tried some other utilities to try to force borderless but DXWnd was the one I found works best for me with little overhead on Sims 1. I haven't figured out how to get it to run widescreen on that (although I haven't fiddled with it much, I'm happy with full screen letterboxed as per my screenshots) and other utilities where I have managed to get widescreen borderless windowed have given me the stretched neighbourhood window. I'm not too worried about widescreen; I only have a very old monitor anyway on my sims PC and ancient graphics card, so what I get is enlarged SVGA which is good enough for what I want. I appreciate your attempts to get me running with widescreen, but I spent a lot of time a few years ago when I went to Win 10, on hex editing the exes and running with various APIs and this was my favourite solution. It works well for taking screenshots for me too.

Yeah the tiny neighbourhood is annoying, but sadly thats the way the games works. I know the feeling with spending alot of time to get it right on Win 10. The most important one for me was dgVoodoo 2, before every alt-tab just made the game unplayable with glitches or crashes.

Its so much easier on my old Win XP setup :D
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 2:13 AM
Hi! I'm sorry to necropost, but how did you get DxWnd to work with TS1? I am also not fan of the small UI and would like to use a lower resolution in windowed mode, but everytime I try to run DxWnd it crashes on startup. I'd really appreciate if you could help me. Thanks in advance ! =)

Do you belive frogs can bite? If not, then you should, because they do! LOL!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#32 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 11:41 AM
I think I did a lot of experimenting with the settings to get it working, but had problems later (possibly due to something that changed on the operating system with updates). Now I'm using the widescreen patcher with SRWE:
https://github.com/dtgDTGdtg/SRWE
Not sure if you'd be able to get the results you want with this one?
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 8:13 PM
I think I did a lot of experimenting with the settings to get it working, but had problems later (possibly due to something that changed on the operating system with updates). Now I'm using the widescreen patcher with SRWE:
https://github.com/dtgDTGdtg/SRWE
Not sure if you'd be able to get the results you want with this one?

Thank you for replying! I tried SRWE yesterday, but for some reason it doesn't recognize that my game is running...

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#34 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 8:44 PM
What do you see if you click 'select running application'?
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 9:06 PM
What do you see if you click 'select running application'?

A list of processes, but none of them are related to The Sims... I tried looking for The Sims, Sims and even Start because I know that's the process I see on Task Manager, but it's weirdly not there...

Lab Assistant
#36 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 9:23 PM
I finally got it to recognize the process (I realized I needed to run it in administrator mode). However, when I try to scale it up, the window adjusts in size, but the game remains small and confined to the top left corner of the screen. I think I might be missing something in the setup. Any suggestions?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#37 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 10:29 PM
Try ticking the Force EXITSIZEMOVE checkbox.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 10:59 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work for me. I think I'll need to keep experimenting with the settings, but it feels like I've already tried everything. Maybe I'll just keep looking for another program.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#39 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 12:02 AM
It's worth trying DXWnd again; there is a discussion forum for that where you could ask for help on the crashing:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/general/

I took a screenshot of my SRWE settings in case it's useful to you. I saved my settings as a profile so that it was easy to play again.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 1:05 AM
It's worth trying DXWnd again; there is a discussion forum for that where you could ask for help on the crashing:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/general/

I took a screenshot of my SRWE settings in case it's useful to you. I saved my settings as a profile so that it was easy to play again.

Thank you for your kindness and patience. I managed to get DXWnd working by experimenting with the settings. The problem boiled down to enabling "support offscreen 3D" in the DirectX tab. I will need to playtest it more to see if it crashes under different conditions, but so far, it seems to be working—YAY!

The only issue now is the pixelated quality of the screen, but between that and the tiny UI, I think I can live with it for now. I'm going to continue experimenting with the settings and resolutions to see if I can find a compromise that I'm happy with.

Once again, I'm very thankful for your help! :D

Test Subject
#41 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 2:27 AM
I used Magpie to upscale my game, the graphic still very good when upscaled

https://github.com/FaithBeam/Sims-1...screen-option-2

The only difference is I press Win+Shift+A to upscale, set Capture Method to Graphic Capture to enable capture the upscaled game play screen

Too bad it doesn't work for Win 8.1 which I'm now using, I miss those large and clear screenshots
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Stephanie
I used Magpie to upscale my game, the graphic still very good when upscaled

https://github.com/FaithBeam/Sims-1...screen-option-2

The only difference is I press Win+Shift+A to upscale, set Capture Method to Graphic Capture to enable capture the upscaled game play screen

Too bad it doesn't work for Win 8.1 which I'm now using, I miss those large and clear screenshots

Oh wow! This looks very promising! I like the improved appearance, but I'm struggling to remove the smaller original screen. Every time I click, it pops up, just like in this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...o-gm?authuser=0

Test Subject
#43 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by roddyaleixo
Oh wow! This looks very promising! I like the improved appearance, but I'm struggling to remove the smaller original screen. Every time I click, it pops up, just like in this:

Did you tried the below settings which suggested by the page?

Change scaling mode to FSR

Change Capture Method to Desktop Duplication

You can try another Capture Method if this error still happen 😅

My Sims 1 site, contains skins, meshes and some hacks, https://sims.stephanietoo.com, last updated 17-06-2024
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Stephanie
Did you tried the below settings which suggested by the page?

Change scaling mode to FSR

Change Capture Method to Desktop Duplication

You can try another Capture Method if this error still happen 😅

I did, I cycled through them all! Haha... It's just my bad luck.
Thank you, though! I can see many other uses for this little tool!

Lab Assistant
#45 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by roddyaleixo
I did, I cycled through them all! Haha... It's just my bad luck.
Thank you, though! I can see many other uses for this little tool!

I just found the solution on their GitHub!

https://github.com/Blinue/Magpie/issues/902

Edit: Spoke too soon, there's other glitches even if I apply the solution proposed... Oh well...
It's super late here, I'll just try again tomorrow! Thank you for all the help! =)

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#46 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 1:47 PM
Thanks for the links @Stephanie and @roddyaleixo !
Page 2 of 2