Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2024 at 1:59 AM
Default Mod - No Forced Career Change at Level 10

If you reach Level 10 of any career, you only get to stay at Level 10 for a short time before the game forces you into a different career path at a lower level. This mod deletes all of the Level 10 chance cards that force your sims to change careers, so you can enjoy the career you worked so hard to read the top of. This was made at the request of u/Popokakaka at Reddit.

Installation: This does NOT go in your Downloads folder! Put CarPortal.iff into your GameData\Objects folder; for most players, this is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\GameData\Objects. This is overriding a file that's inside Objects.far, so it has to go into the same folder as the far file for that to happen.

You can get the mod at http://corylea.com/NoForcedCareerChangeSims1.html.

Have fun!
Screenshots

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2024 at 7:55 AM
I quite adore how you're still modding this game. Keep at it Corylea.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2024 at 11:04 AM
Brilliant, this doesn't happen to me too often because I'm rubbish at keeping sims alive! Good to know my long term families can enjoy the fruits of their labour!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2024 at 8:32 PM
Smashed that DL button so hard it caused a minor seismic event. The cat is hiding. The neighbors are boarding up the windows. News helicopters are circling. I regret nothing.

EDIT: oooooh DANG this conflicts with the mod to drive through bunnies that is a hard choice
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 12:52 PM
I never let my sims get promoted to level 10 just because game keep changing sims job without their permission

The only thing I need to know which BHAV you changed so it won't conflict with my "No Military School & Never Get Fired" mod, I really like this mod

Quote: Originally posted by EphemeralToast
Smashed that DL button so hard it caused a minor seismic event. The cat is hiding. The neighbors are boarding up the windows. News helicopters are circling. I regret nothing.

EDIT: oooooh DANG this conflicts with the mod to drive through bunnies that is a hard choice

Me also have the same thought when I saw this reply, then I found out that is CarGlobals which go to Global folder, not the same iff as above, so you can use together without any issue
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Stephanie
Me also have the same thought when I saw this reply, then I found out that is CarGlobals which go to Global folder, not the same iff as above, so you can use together without any issue

Smashed that DL button SO HARD AGAIN that the cat is boarding up the windows. The neighbors are circling above. News helicopters are hiding. I. REGRET. NOTHING.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I quite adore how you're still modding this game. Keep at it Corylea.
Aw, thanks! Don't plan to stop anytime soon. :-)

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Brilliant, this doesn't happen to me too often because I'm rubbish at keeping sims alive!
*chuckle* I don't believe that for a minute!

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Good to know my long term families can enjoy the fruits of their labour!
Changing careers does help keep the game interesting. In my own game, the only L10 chance card I've removed is the one for the Science career, since that moves the sim to the Criminal career. I won't have my people be criminals! But this mod was requested, and it was super-simple to make so I made it.

Hee! You and @simsample are both funny.

Oh, but it doesn't! The drive-through bunnies edits CarGLOBAL.iff, whereas this edits CarPORTAL.iff. So you can have them both if you want them.

I never let my sims get promoted to level 10 just because game keep changing sims job without their permission

The only thing I need to know which BHAV you changed so it won't conflict with my "No Military School & Never Get Fired" mod, I really like this mod
Well, unsurprisingly enough, it's the one called "Chance Cards." :-)

I made a "Never Get Fired" mod for my game but forgot to release it to the general public, so I'm glad you're doing so! :-)

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
Oh, but it doesn't! The drive-through bunnies edits CarGLOBAL.iff, whereas this edits CarPORTAL.iff. So you can have them both if you want them.

I WANT IT ALLLL

I got confused because I already had a CarPortal.iff in there from... somewhere? Apparently it wasn't for bunnies, and I can't remember what it was modding or where it came from! I just replaced it with this so perhaps I'll find out lol. This is responsible and healthy modding behavior, kids
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 11:41 PM
I got confused because I already had a CarPortal.iff in there from... somewhere? Apparently it wasn't for bunnies, and I can't remember what it was modding or where it came from! I just replaced it with this so perhaps I'll find out lol. This is responsible and healthy modding behavior, kids

I wish I could say I did things differently, but I've found stuff in various folders and thought, "Huh. That's not one of mine. What is it, and where did I get it? What does it do?"

Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 1:14 AM Last edited by Stephanie : 5th Jun 2024 at 4:28 AM.
Is that for driveable cars?

Since it also use CarPortal.iff, the cars won't work without modify the CarPortal file. Simfully calendar which can temporary stop carpool and school bus coming also using this, that's why I release mine with all those features, also put a remark which special functions added on my CarPortal file (to prevent myself forgot those infos , I already forgot which bhav I changed with all my hacks, I have to take screenshots from now on before and after I change anything )

It still works fine without any related objects like driveable cars and simfully calendar installed.

I forgot something after I reply, the CarPortal is actually an object, the hidden table on the road, I found some portal fixer also include buyable or non hidden CarPortal in their zip file, let player easy to replace their portals which removed by accident, my version doesn't has this feature since I already have the green portal fixer
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 3:25 AM
Is that for driveable cars?

I forgot something after I reply, the CarPortal is actually an object, the hidden table on the road, I found some portal fixer also include buyable or non hidden CarPortal in their zip file, let player easy to replace their portals which removed by accident, my version doesn't has this feature since I already have the green portal fixer

Hmmm, definitely not driveable cars, I've never had any interest in them, but it MIGHT have been a portal fixer file. That would actually be okay, since I've never had any occasion to use it, if that's what it was!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 7:33 PM
I'm just gonna say this: this is awesome! ⭐❤️

Thanks for all these really practical and useful hacks/mods, Corylea! 🙌

Allowing players to customise their experience/game while preserving the game's original gameplay is just a rare treat, and totally rocks. Wish other games had mods like this.

Thanks for all the attention to detail, and careful thought that went into making these mods. 🤗
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Jun 2024 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kenoi
I'm just gonna say this: this is awesome! ⭐❤️

Thanks for all these really practical and useful hacks/mods, Corylea! 🙌

Allowing players to customise their experience/game while preserving the game's original gameplay is just a rare treat, and totally rocks. Wish other games had mods like this.

Thanks for all the attention to detail, and careful thought that went into making these mods. 🤗

Thanks for saying that, @kenoi, but this was actually an extremely easy mod to make! Career Creator 3 is so easy to use that anybody can use it, so if there's anything else you want to alter about careers, you can get the program at Sim Echoes "Useful Programs" page.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 7th Jun 2024 at 6:00 PM
Sometimes the greatest mods are not about amount of work needed, but about a well thought out idea. 😉 Sometimes the smallest mods can make the greatest difference. (Personally, those are my favourites.) And we all chip in. 🤗

Thanks for the tips! 🙌 That's a really handy collection of tools on a single location/page. Especially these days.