Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 11:03 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 23rd Jun 2024 at 11:34 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Default Vehicles vs. Walking
One of the EPs, can't remember which, added the option to walk to lot instead of using a taxi or owned cat. I'm curious as to whether any other players make up specific rules as to when this can be used instead of a vehicle.

My specific rules:

- Travel to another subhood always requires a vehicle.
- If the lot is in the same subhood, I decide based on distance and the Sim's fitness whether they walk or use a vehicle.
- My main neighbourhood, Riverbreeze, is divided by a... well, you can guess. One half is the residential section and the other half is the commercial/apartment section. Most Sims use a vehicle to go to the other side of the river.
- In Downtown, I don't put any restrictions on distance. after all, that's the benefits to living downtown! (Most of them even walk to work.)

Additionally:
- Since I'm using the community time project, if a Sim walks to a community lot, I make them linger around a bit extra time and then manually lower their motives a bit to simulate the travel time and effort for walking. If'd be neat if someone could figure out to bake this into the mod itself.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 11:21 PM
My rules are pretty simple. They can walk anywhere in the same neighborhood. They have to take a car or taxi to get downtown. They have to own a car to travel between subhoods--taxis don't go that far.

If I put in Bluewater Village, which I haven't in my current save, I head-canon that they can "walk" there because there's a free shuttle that goes between the main neighborhood and Bluewater.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 11:23 PM
I should have game play rules on this but I don't. If the sims have a car I tend to use it, if they don't they normally walk everywhere. I have no patience for call a taxi and never use it unless its for a date. I am always amazed at the YouTube videos where people continually call for taxis and it isn't due to game play rules, it seems they are unaware they can just walk.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
If I put in Bluewater Village, which I haven't in my current save, I head-canon that they can "walk" there because there's a free shuttle that goes between the main neighborhood and Bluewater.

One of the neighbourhood decos is a bus stop, I think.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#5 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 12:17 AM
I usually just let people walk by default. If they have a car they might use it if I just feel like it, or if they go to Downtown/a subhood, if they're old and frail, teens who want to drive just because they can, or have a nice car they want to show off. I can't be arsed to call taxis if I don't have to, so if I have them walk overly long distances I just pretend they walked to and from a bus stop or train station or something, which seems more realistic to me than constantly riding taxis anyway.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 12:27 AM
Honestly?
For a good long while now I haven't played with community lots, haven't given my sims jobs, and kids haven't gone to school (it's just been easier for pictures/storytelling purposes), so cars are mostly for deco and the odd parking lot or posed picture. I've used buses and other vehicles for the same purpose.

I've never been much of an "I need rules for my sims" kind of player. In the odd chance I use vehicles for other things than the above, I just do whatever is more convenient. Usually some type of car/drivable vehicle or taxi. Maybe walking, but I keep forgetting they can do that.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 12:45 AM
I usually make them walk. I'll have sims own cars if they roll the want for one and have space on the lot for a driveway, but I tend to not use them even if they own one. I find they bug out too often with "watch out!" queue stomping and random route failure issues (when there isn't anything blocking the path to the car!) for me to reliably have sims use them for anything but woohoo/makeout, take for a spin, or driving to work instead of taking the carpool. Not sure what causes it but I frequently have to delete and re-purchase the car/driveway because it will randomly become unusable (sims will stomp feet and complain and never get into the car). If I have more than one sim traveling together with a car, the passengers often route failure and cancel the "get in" interaction, causing the sims in the car to leave without them! And then I'll load into the comm lot wondering "where the heck is half my household?!?"

As for the taxi, I never use them unless it's automatically summoned from someone asking my sim out on a date via the phone. I also frequently play with tiny size lots, and those run out of "parking" spaces pretty fast if you have multiple service sims visiting at once (maid and gardener or repairman etc) or someone else's carpool or schoolbus waiting in the street. Sometimes I end up with sims waiting in purgatory in a taxi until someone leaves and the vehicle can properly pull up and let them out. The return home failsafe mod has been a lifesaver!

It doesn't make sense to have sims walking incredibly far distances, but in my experience walking is the least annoying and potentially glitchy transportation option. All they have to do is walk to a pedestrian portal, easy peasy!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 2:23 AM
I usually have the pixels walk-and in Tinsel Town, I've erected a bus service (Chris Hatch) to use as well. I firmly believe that the cars should only be used for work. I also have found ride able bikes that can double as cars, so trying to do that too, because they should try to save their planet too.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Scholar
#9 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 2:39 AM
I allow them to walk within the same neighborhood. I consider them all to be small. I've set the motives of the walking car to consume some energy and comfort. It has the same set of properties as other cars, which can add motives. I've changed the arrival interaction with a lower priority, so that I can give another command and interrupt the walk to a payphone, where they have no reason to go to. I think walking was added by Voyage to allow to explore vacations.

You can remove Watch Out by having this return false: "CT - Car Footprint Blocked By Sim?"
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 3:02 AM
As someone who's very anti-car IRL, I don't tend to let my sims have them either. I don't use subhoods a whole lot, but when I do it's taxis to get to them. Otherwise everyone walks everywhere. If the public transport mods were a bit more simple I might use them. Anyway, cars take up far too much space on the lot, as I tend to use smaller lots.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
I allow them to walk within the same neighborhood. I consider them all to be small. I've set the motives of the walking car to consume some energy and comfort. It has the same set of properties as other cars, which can add motives. I've changed the arrival interaction with a lower priority, so that I can give another command and interrupt the walk to a payphone, where they have no reason to go to.

If you ever decide to upload it, you have at least one downloader!

Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 2:33 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 24th Jun 2024 at 4:15 PM.
Simler90 has a mod like that.

https://modthesims.info/d/633035/walk-to-lot-mod.html

I downloaded it but honestly I found it too annoying - it just takes too long to wait for the taxi or a car and the motive drain was too much. I might add it back in for a challenge hood along with a mod that charges for taxis.

In theory I tend to use the taxi if they are going to another subhood but in practice I am too impatient and let them walk everywhere :P

Edited to add: Apparently, I DO still have the Simler mod in, so I didn't find the motive drain too annoying.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 2:56 PM
Walk.

Taxis are used for group outings and dates, of course, but otherwise, my sims walk.

It is quicker and easier (as @simsfreq says above) and it also means I don't have to use space on the lot for a garage and a driveway (I can use it for something better )

Not really a rule - since I don't have rules - but simply about what I find convenient.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Modder
I usually make them walk. I'll have sims own cars if they roll the want for one and have space on the lot for a driveway, but I tend to not use them even if they own one. I find they bug out too often with "watch out!" queue stomping and random route failure issues (when there isn't anything blocking the path to the car!) for me to reliably have sims use them for anything but woohoo/makeout, take for a spin, or driving to work instead of taking the carpool. Not sure what causes it but I frequently have to delete and re-purchase the car/driveway because it will randomly become unusable (sims will stomp feet and complain and never get into the car). If I have more than one sim traveling together with a car, the passengers often route failure and cancel the "get in" interaction, causing the sims in the car to leave without them! And then I'll load into the comm lot wondering "where the heck is half my household?!?"

Pescado has your back. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=2680.0
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 5:30 PM
I never call a taxi except on a date. My neighborhoods are either walking neighborhoods or have great bus service that runs between subhoods. Some of my sims own cars, but they only take them to work and to subhoods. Within the neighborhood, they walk.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#16 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 6:42 PM
I don't have rules.
In my current hood with no subhood attached, everybody walk everywhere. Many of the residential lots don't have enough space for a driveway.
Nobody owns a car at the moment but it may change if I decide to put a car dealership.

They take a taxi for outings and dates as intended by EAxis.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 8:07 PM
Quote:
I never call a taxi except on a date.

The only time a taxi ever shows up at any lot in my game is when someone is moving out.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Theorist
#18 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 9:21 PM
I really like the idea of having Sims "walk" everywhere, but actually pretending that they're taking a bus - that way, their arrival on foot is just them walking down from the bus stop.

I was kind of going the opposite way all this long - felt like Sims walking everywhere is too cheaty and unrealistic, especially between subhoods - but reading about the bus stop neighborhood deco sparked a whole new idea in my head. Calling for taxis truly does take forever, I guess I'll be back to having Sims walk again pretty soon.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I usually have the pixels walk-and in Tinsel Town, I've erected a bus service (Chris Hatch) to use as well. I firmly believe that the cars should only be used for work. I also have found ride able bikes that can double as cars, so trying to do that too, because they should try to save their planet too.

I always forget to place bus stops. I have the mod, even made the bus stops cheap, and still I hardly ever use it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#20 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 11:39 PM
I also have a rule of requiring a car or taxi to go to another subhood. Most of my sims don't have cars, so I don't have strict rules with the subhood. Sometimes it's thunderstorming and I think it's silly to have them walk and sometimes I choose walk just because I want them to leave immediately and not wait on a taxi.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 11:54 PM
I usually just go by whether a Sim is travelling within the same hood or to a subhood and the weather. If I played larger and more developed saves, though, I'd probably take distance into account as well.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 25th Jun 2024 at 6:13 PM
I started a custom neighborhood this year and have a similar rule in mind: walking within the main hood, but need a car or taxi to go downtown (even though there's no downtown yet and no one owns a car)
Since my hood is supposed to be a village/small town at the beginning of my gameplay, the career options are also limited to what would realistically be available in such a rural area, and my Sims walk to work. When an downtown is added new careers and higher career levels will be accessible but then Sims will also need a car to get there