Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2024 at 6:35 PM
Object conversions from TS2 - Blender
Hi!

I need some help figuring out converting objects to TS2.

I have all of the models with textures from the Sims console games/spinoffs and I want to import them to TS2 using blender. I really want to use the URBZ objects and convert them to the game however some of the .objs have multiple materials and textures. Whats the most sufficient way of doing this? I followed Jwoods tutorial on making objects but those only had one texture and the end results had weird textures all over.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Sep 2024 at 11:14 PM
Downloadable meshes often come with a lot of "unnecessary" texture maps meant for specular/bump/etc., but in most cases you'll just want the "diffuse" textures (the ones that put color and details on the object). If there are multiple, see if there are more than two. If so, you likely need to remap the mesh to fit the original textures into fewer maps, at least if you want everything to be recolorable (TS2 items can have 2 recolorable subsets, but additional ones won't be recolorable - items with several large textures tend to add to memory issues like pinkflashing/crashing/etc., so you don't want to add too many).

Remapping for these kinds of meshes is pretty much just resizing each UVmap and refitting them inside a new UVmap.
Extract the UVmaps for each mesh subset in Blender. Use a picture editing program to make a 1024x1024 (or whichever size would fit, though I'd not recommend going larger), Overlay the UVmaps on the textures, and resize/refit to the new map (if possible, use sizes like 512x512 and such, which makes it easier to resize the actual UVmap in Blender later, as it's possible to scale in increments).

Then use the new texture as a background for the UVmap in Blender, and scale everything so it fits with the new UVmap picture.