Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2024 at 1:09 AM
Default Maid getting stuck in the shower fix
I can't remember, was the maid getting stuck in the shower bug in The Sims 1 ever fixed by the community?

I seem to recall there were some attempts to find the cause and fix it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jul 2024 at 5:38 AM
Do you mean she gets stuck in there and can't leave after cleaning it? I've never seen that happen, fortunately, though there is still the issue with the shower-tubs where she will sometimes be unable to clean them if they are next to a wall (which is obviously where you'd want to put them... lol).

Oh, and there's one shower--the Wicked Breeze tiki shower--that she is simply unable to clean, but that's not just a maid problem, no sim can clean it. They do the animation but it stays dirty. Lazy programming or subtle commentary about bamboo plumbing? We may never know...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2024 at 9:23 AM
No, I mean that my maid sometimes starts cleaning the shower, and never finishes. She can't exit the shower for some reason, so she just keeps scrubbing round and round endlessly. The only thing I can do is wait for the script to force her to leave the house eventually, and by then a hefty bill rocks up, or to enter the "move_objects on" cheat and delete her, but then she stops coming the next day, and I have to order maid service again.

I will try moving the shower away from the wall, and see if it happens again. Do you mean that she may be trying to exit the other way, towards the wall, and that's why she gets stuck? 😯
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Jul 2024 at 8:29 PM
Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen an eternal cleaning loop happen... with the tiki shower, she just cleans it, steps out, and goes to clean other objects, but the shower remains in the dirty state. With the shower-tub, she starts scrubbing one half of the tub, then does the shaking head/shrugging/"I can't reach that" animation and doesn't do the other half. Neither results in a stuck maid. I'm afraid I don't know what could be causing eternal scrubbing and have never seen a fix for it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2024 at 8:34 PM
Hmm... maybe it has been fixed in a later expansion pack to the game. (I'm still using Vacation as the latest.) I've seen it happen both in the base game and in Vacation, and I know that it's an old-time bug from when the game was first released.

It happens both with the cheap and the expensive (light-green) shower. Some days the maid will manage to clean it and step out, and other days she'll get stuck in an endless loop of cleaning the shower. Once it happens, though, it's likely to happen again and again and again... (making the maid quite useless...)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jul 2024 at 8:52 PM
I don't know if it was ever fixed, but it's definitely an existing glitch in the game:

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Glitches#The_Sims

I can't find a lot of mention of it these days online, however. It used to be very commonly discussed in the old days, in the years after the game was first released.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old Yesterday at 8:20 AM
That sounds very annoying. And poor Brigit... stuck in the bathroom all day with no one to talk to but the rubber ducks
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old Yesterday at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EphemeralToast
That sounds very annoying. And poor Brigit... stuck in the bathroom all day with no one to talk to but the rubber ducks

Poor me! She charges me by the thousands by the time she leaves! 😅🤭 She's racking in the hours, pretending to clean. 😂

(In truth, though, it's not her fault, but the programmers'.)

It's actually interesting that this bug even exists, because Brigit was one of the first NPCs created for the game, and a favourite with the programmers. It's quite bizarre that she gets in stuck in the shower like this.

I may have to investigate what's going on. I'm suspecting a programming oversight/mistake in the SimAntics on the shower objects. An endless cleaning loop that gets triggered under certain conditions (depending on how dirty the shower is, maybe).