Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2023 at 8:34 AM Last edited by MoveAlongPlease : 3rd Dec 2023 at 6:31 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default *Solved* Black ocean water in neighborhood view (Pond & Sea Water Overhaul)
Hello!

I've run into very annoying issue: my ocean/sea water in the neighbourhood view is black. As you can see in the title, I am using Pond & Sea Water Overhaul mod by Voeille.

I've had this mod for years on my laptop and there were no issues whatsoever. Unfortunately, since I've moved to my new PC this problem arose.

I'm running on Windows, the game recognizes my graphic card, 4GB patch applied, I didn't run Graphics Rules Maker as I set the game myself using a guide, I've tried the "useshaders true" cheat - nothing works. Tried launching the game normally, through EP.exe and RCP Launcher, where switched the ocean reflection on and off - nothing changes.

At first I thought "oh, it must've got corrupted when I downloaded it from my Cloud" - so i re-downloaded it from MTS' site once more - still, the water's black as night. Then I blamed possible mod conflict, so I forced the game to regenerate the Documents folder and put this mod there, with no mods whatsoever - still the same result.

When I tried to put a beach lot in Desiderada Valley to check if it's just the neighbourhood view problem - plopped down a pool, water is still black and it seems like it's not showing at all in this lot? See attached picture.

I've seen similar issue here on MTS but it was mod conflict that I ruled out. Could somebody give me a hand?
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Nov 2023 at 11:56 AM
Is this just in lot view, or in neighbourhood view too? For lot view, you need to have pool water on the lot to make the water reflections work.
https://modthesims.info/d/587597
For neighbourhood view, if you are seeing black water there it usually indicates that you have another shader mod conflicting with this one. Check your Downloads folder, remember that post processing mods can affect this too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Nov 2023 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Is this just in lot view, or in neighbourhood view too? For lot view, you need to have pool water on the lot to make the water reflections work.
https://modthesims.info/d/587597
For neighbourhood view, if you are seeing black water there it usually indicates that you have another shader mod conflicting with this one. Check your Downloads folder, remember that post processing mods can affect this too.

Both in neighbourhood and lot view. And in lot view, I did put the pool on the lot - it was a beach lot, so I placed only one - water is still black. I don't use any reshades, lighting mods - anything of that sorts. I have my usual setup of mods that used to work on my old laptop no problem but on this computer it suddenly started throwing this issue.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Nov 2023 at 8:17 PM
If you test with a fresh set of userdata, does your pond and sea water look right? Test on a beach lot also. If you add Voeille's mod in to that set of userdata, does it work then?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Dec 2023 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
If you test with a fresh set of userdata, does your pond and sea water look right? Test on a beach lot also. If you add Voeille's mod in to that set of userdata, does it work then?

So sorry for a long unresponsiveness - I was testing few things.

I've solved this issue by pure accident. I reinstalled the game to try and set it up with Graphic Rules Maker and it worked just fine.

Then I reinstalled the game once again and set it up myself, using a guide to do what GRM does and some more. This time I've busted the game completely, it wouldn't even load the hoods. I've installed RCP since last time all it took was forcing the game to use only one thread of my CPU to get it to work. Not this time.

And honestly? After what feels like millions reinstalations of RCP not only the game works like God intended but also this weird glitch disappeared. It's all good now, no black water whatsoever. Have to look on a beach lot in a sec.

The only weird thing before reinstalled the game for the very first time was that it read only some mods and CC, not all of them - maybe that was the culprit? I sincerely don't know.

The answer is to basically succumb to madness and reinstall everything so many times it gives up I guess. Thank you for your time anyway and apologise for wasting it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Dec 2023 at 7:28 PM
Not a waste of time at all, you had a great outcome so I was glad to try to help! Well done for solving it, I'm pleased that it's working now! Happy simming.
Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 5:24 AM
Hi! sea looks black in lot view, even when I place a pool in
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 11:01 AM
Hey @bakt.cl It would probably be better if you start a new thread, post which shader/ water mods you are using, show a picture and let us know what you've tried.