Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2024 at 9:26 PM
Default Help/WCIF (Idea for a randomize baby name mod)
So I am new to modding and want to accomplish something ambitious.

I was thinking that a random baby name mod would be cool for playable sims that uses the NPC name list.

But I have no clue where the things that control the dialog boxes, or the events I am looking for to make this mod. Does anyone know what I need to be opening up in SimPE to find what I'm looking for? BHAVs, BCONs, etc.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 10th Sep 2024 at 5:00 PM
I don't think you can do it with BHAV modding because we cannot pass around string variables. There are two ways of making a new character. One is an "archetypical" character, which gets a random name and one of the preset faces, and it cannot be a baby. You can plug this character into a family as if he was "born", but he is preset and boring. And the other is "genetic baby" which is by default named Baby Boy until you call the name dialog and can enter any name or names.

Perhaps there is a way to do it with Lua. But there are no examples to learn this language. What is more likely to be possible is to copy one of the existing names out of the neighborhood rather than accessing a name list.

I have found a name function here:
https://modthesims.info/d/289073/la...ier-080707.html

You can see how a Lua is called and how a name is put into a variable.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old Today at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
I don't think you can do it with BHAV modding because we cannot pass around string variables. There are two ways of making a new character. One is an "archetypical" character, which gets a random name and one of the preset faces, and it cannot be a baby. You can plug this character into a family as if he was "born", but he is preset and boring. And the other is "genetic baby" which is by default named Baby Boy until you call the name dialog and can enter any name or names.

Perhaps there is a way to do it with Lua. But there are no examples to learn this language. What is more likely to be possible is to copy one of the existing names out of the neighborhood rather than accessing a name list.

I have found a name function here:
https://modthesims.info/d/289073/la...ier-080707.html

You can see how a Lua is called and how a name is put into a variable.

So in other words it wouldn't be too possible?