Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#13376 Old 20th Sep 2024 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I've sometimes wondered if whoever named the pooklet colours is secretly a pyromaniac.

I'm pretty sure Pooklet named them. They are both a person and a texture style.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#13377 Old 20th Sep 2024 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Almighty Hat does the extra long file name stuff and some of her hairs haven't shown up in game because the name is too long (I had to shorten it). Credit people in the upload post, not the file name!

I used to do the jungle Downloads folder. XD That's why I had to reorganise all my CC a while back.

^ I had a repo'd clothing set from one creator where I'd just put whatever came in the zip folders into my downloads. Couldn't understand why the textures didn't show up. They did, once I removed the 3 or so layers of folders...

Memo to self from then on - always check what's actually in the zip files, and always shorten down file paths (folders and/or file names). It's also one of the reasons why I don't export files directly from zip files to my downloads folder.

Had an even more annoying issue back when I still had my XP laptop. Some files kept getting their names cut off, so "somethingname.package" became "SOMETHI~.package" and I couldn't figure out why for the longest time. Also turned out to be caused by too long file paths (which used to be an even bigger issue with XP, and actually showed up as such - these days you don't even know).

I had a jungle Downloads folder for the longest time, too. Things kept getting added, I kept putting them in new folders (or "New from -today's date-" kind of folders, and it was all a big mess. Now I've organized most of my old CC, but the trouble is, there doesn't seem to be a finish line
Scholar
#13378 Old Yesterday at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LauraPamplonaS
I started a hood with this recreation of Old Town map, and it looks SO PRETTY!

https://philosimy.tumblr.com/post/6...-the-sims-2-the

It looks beautiful, I might use that neighborhood myself!
Mad Poster
#13379 Old Yesterday at 4:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I had a jungle Downloads folder for the longest time, too. Things kept getting added, I kept putting them in new folders (or "New from -today's date-" kind of folders, and it was all a big mess. Now I've organized most of my old CC, but the trouble is, there doesn't seem to be a finish line

I feel ya on that one. Back in the XP days I'd organize everything by site > author > set > object type and it became a bit too much to handle when I couldn't find anything. Nowadays I sort things into folder structure by mode > type and even then, I still have trouble finding things. So, I set out to rectify this by using Lazy Duchess' CCMerger and merging things into single files and name them something I can easily remember such as "BuildDoorsMerge.package" That way I know all my doors are in one little package that is in the root of my downloads. Not everything merges of course with that program, so I still use the prior mode > type folder structure organization for things that don't merge.

The CCMerger is kind of a lifesaver if you have a downloads folder over 1GB. Makes organizing so much easier. You just need to make sure whatever you merge is something you plan on keeping in your game, and of course do rigorous testing to make sure it all works correctly post-merge.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#13380 Old Yesterday at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I feel ya on that one. Back in the XP days I'd organize everything by site > author > set > object type and it became a bit too much to handle when I couldn't find anything. Nowadays I sort things into folder structure by mode > type and even then, I still have trouble finding things.

Same here (although I had probably at least 4-5 different sorting methods going on, and way too many folders).

These days I sort by function, which is to say "CAS", "Buy", "Build" etc. as main categories, occasionally subfolders with main subcategories, then folders with proper name (siteORcreatorORtype_itemName -> files), and if some files can sort on their own due to having proper naming, they're loose in their main folder. Very rarely more than 2-3 folders deep these days.

I need to sort stuff by site/creator still, because that's usually how I remember them - but this way it's a whole lot easier to remember what's what, and if I'm looking for a spesific item in a spesific category, I know which main folder to look in, instead of having to look through a complete mess.
Instructor
#13381 Old Yesterday at 10:31 AM
What's wrong with just putting your package files directly into a zip/rar? It's not that hard to select all and drag them to the downloads folder.

It's for organizing purposes. I think by now everyone who plays The Sims for years and has a lot if CC has organized their downloads folder: name of the set>cc files and pics.
Mad Poster
#13382 Old Yesterday at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight__
It's for organizing purposes. I think by now everyone who plays The Sims for years and has a lot if CC has organized their downloads folder: name of the set>cc files and pics.

Everyone organizes their CC differently, too. I can't remember many times I've actually kept the folder structure I've found inside a zip file. It's also a bit annoying having to click the extra folder(s) to look at the files.

Most unzipping programs lets you unzip to a new folder, so it's not like the extra folder is needed, either.

I don't mind folders in zips if they have a purpose, like "choose between" or similar. Still not going to extract everything directly to my game, though...
Mad Poster
#13383 Old Yesterday at 11:28 AM

I never add pics of the content to the downloads folder. Doing that supposedly has been reported to slow down initial game load. Now, I can't exactly confirm that, but to play it safe I personally never add them. I find it better to have a folder within the pictures folder that comes with the Windows OS and have it named something like "TS2 CC Pics" and then place and organize your pics there.

Mad Poster
#13384 Old Yesterday at 3:09 PM
The CCMerger is kind of a lifesaver if you have a downloads folder over 1GB. Makes organizing so much easier. You just need to make sure whatever you merge is something you plan on keeping in your game, and of course do rigorous testing to make sure it all works correctly post-merge.

1GB ... XD

Yeah, but I still have to take the files out of your folder and put them in my folders, so I might as well not have the folder.

I never add pics of the content to the downloads folder. Doing that supposedly has been reported to slow down initial game load. Now, I can't exactly confirm that, but to play it safe I personally never add them. I find it better to have a folder within the pictures folder that comes with the Windows OS and have it named something like "TS2 CC Pics" and then place and organize your pics there.

Adding pics to the CC folder also means that the downloader has to go through and delete them all. If people want to see what my stuff looks like, then it's all on the download page.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13385 Old Yesterday at 3:48 PM
1GB ... XD

7GB? That's way too much CC for me personally, I'd never find a use for around 5GB of it. But to each their own, I guess. I just wonder how organized (or disorganized) yours actually is.

Mad Poster
#13386 Old Yesterday at 7:14 PM
7GB? That's way too much CC for me personally, I'd never find a use for around 5GB of it. But to each their own, I guess. I just wonder how organized (or disorganized) yours actually is.

My other folder is 12GB. I need help.
Mad Poster
#13387 Old Yesterday at 9:59 PM
1 GB???

Even my "test" folder tends to hover around 3-5 GB at the very least, and even when I do the absolute bare minimum (defaults, mods) it's about 600 MB.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure because I've got some duplicates and not removed files and such going on (organizing outside the actual Downloads folder), but all in all I think I've got roughly 20-22 GB (At one point I was playing with around 35 GB, but that's back when everything was a big chaos of folders, and I think some of it was zip folders and such - I've cleaned those out from the current one, along with other unnecessary files)
Mad Poster
#13388 Old Yesterday at 10:47 PM
I don't have my downloads folder organized at all, and I don't intend to ever do so. My game was running like molasses when I had too many subfolders, so I dumped almost everything into one massive folder.
Mad Poster
#13389 Old Today at 4:36 AM
1 GB???

Even my "test" folder tends to hover around 3-5 GB at the very least, and even when I do the absolute bare minimum (defaults, mods) it's about 600 MB.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure because I've got some duplicates and not removed files and such going on (organizing outside the actual Downloads folder), but all in all I think I've got roughly 20-22 GB (At one point I was playing with around 35 GB, but that's back when everything was a big chaos of folders, and I think some of it was zip folders and such - I've cleaned those out from the current one, along with other unnecessary files)

Mine currently only sits at 1.58GB, and about 95 percent of it is used in Plot of Land at least once somewhere. My other neighborhood, Nhw-Wr, an Egyptian-inspired 'hood that I recently scraped, had only 3.2GB. I tend to exchange downloads folders for each 'hood I play. It is an extra step to do before I play a neighborhood, but I prefer to keep each neighborhood with its own "theme" instead of just dumping everything together. I'm a bit anal like that, I guess.

Mad Poster
#13390 Old Today at 10:22 AM
I don't play themed neighborhoods, but probably have a bit too much CC... I've used quite a lot of it, but suspect it's going to be easier to use it now that I've actually "unhidden" a lot of it from places where it was difficult to localize (demolished deco category so stuff is in more logical places for decorating, plus fixed thumbnails and pricing). Also been cleaning out some bad CAS items and such (a few made my game crash/didn't have meshes/bad thumbnails/etc.).
Mad Poster
#13391 Old Today at 11:41 AM
I have a bad habit of reading SimSecret and last week I discovered that according to the posts, there will be NO Sims 5.

Much gnashing of teeth and crying was heard in the land of Sims 4 players.

As one posted, "EA you have left us with Sims 4 as the final game? How could you?!"

Poor dears. They now know what it feels like to be abandoned...and left in the dust.

I don't think though, that their version of the game is going to last 20 years...like our favorite one does, with continual updated mods, houses, pixels and clothes.

For such an old workhorse, Sims 2 is still going strong after 20 years.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Mad Poster
#13392 Old Today at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I don't think though, that their version of the game is going to last 20 years...like our favorite one does, with continual updated mods, houses, pixels and clothes.

The problem with TS4 is that they've already made so much official content for it the game is barely playable as it is. It's like a huge jenga tower on a shaking ground of "EA's money-earning schemes", and all the broken stuff they're dealing with are the pulled-out sticks. The game is a mess, and they know it, but they're still trying to add to AND fix their broken mess, creating even more broken mess. They can't seem to make a single EP or GP or game update without making some sort of huge issue that causes game-wide problems (there's been one almost every single time now). And hearing this is probably not going to end anytime soon doesn't exactly make me more interested in the game.

I was kind of looking forward to something new with Sims 5 (but also didn't have high hopes, considering).

TS2 doesn't have that jenga thing going, at least not any longer, so issues left over by EA can in a lot of cases be patched over by players, since the game is finished.
Mad Poster
#13393 Old Today at 12:35 PM
I have a bad habit of reading SimSecret and last week I discovered that according to the posts, there will be NO Sims 5.

Oh my god I was right

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
You know, at this point I'm convinced that Sims 5 won't ever become a thing. Just endless expansion packs and stuff packs until the heat death of the universe.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#13394 Old Today at 1:07 PM
As one posted, "EA you have left us with Sims 4 as the final game? How could you?!"

They did the same thing with Sim City- we had SC4, so fun, so moddable, so playable.

And they ruined it by killing the franchise with this:

Even my "test" folder tends to hover around 3-5 GB at the very least,

Surely that's not a test folder any more, it's just a 'stuff I put in recently' folder?

I tend to have a different set of mods and CC for each neighbourhood I play; I have a fairly large amount for my oldest hood, and differing sets for other hoods I'm playing. Plus, I have a CC free, minimally modded game I share with my daughter; a sci-fi world where loads of stuff is defaulted; a setup specifically for building hoods; a setup specifically for testing in a vanilla environment... around 20 sets in all that I swap in and out depending on what I want to play, and several sets of game data folders to use with these accordingly (for example, a set with no lighting mods or CEP for vanilla testing). And then there are the SimPE setups, and the AnyGame setups...

I never bother merging files, there's no point for me as I'm often changing and updating what I use with each hood.
Screenshots
Page 536 of 536