Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Default Is it possible to enable 'disabled' .package files in a batch?
I have had a bit of a 'DOH!' moment with The Sims3Dashboard program and somehow accidentally 'disabled' most of my .package content.

I assume (hope) that by deleting the .disabled part of the filename will enable them again but was wondering if there is a way or tool that will do them all at once (as I have hundreds).

If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Natalie :D

[COLOR=DarkRed]When there's no more room in Hell... the dead shall walk the Earth.[/COLOR]
Advertisement
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:12 PM
Yes, there is a way. The Command Console has commands that you can type to rename files and a command that lets you apply another command to each of a bunch of files at once. Do you know how to open a command console [aka DOS window] and set its current directory to the folder where your misnamed files are?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:15 PM
Unfortunately I have no idea...Is it something I am likely to be able to do if I find out how from the net?

[COLOR=DarkRed]When there's no more room in Hell... the dead shall walk the Earth.[/COLOR]
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:22 PM
First, are all of your disabled files in one folder? If so, that makes this easier; please post the path to that folder. Also, just in case it happens to make a difference, what OS are you running?

As for opening the command window, on my Windoze XP Professional Start Menu, in Accessories, is an icon named Command Prompt, whose image looks like a black window with a blue border and the text C:\ in it. That is the easy way to open a DOS window on Windoze. If you can find it, or something that is a good match if you don`t have XP, go ahead and open it. I`ll tell you what to type after you reply.

Also, I`m assuming that your files are currently named something like PackageName.packagedisabled -- or PackageName.disabledpackage -- please tell me which, or what they ARE named if neither.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:26 PM
My files are located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

I am running Windows 7 64

I have managed to open a command prompt window and my files are named packagename.package.disabled

#6 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 6:40 PM
packagename.package.disabled -- with TWO periods? Ok.

Type this into that window:
Code:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages"
for %a in (*.package.disabled) do ren %a %a.
I`ve just tested the for-ren command on my computer to make sure I was giving you correct details, and it worked for me. PLEASE let me know if it worked for you! By the way, I do NOT expect any VISIBLE results in the command window itself; check by refreshing the Windows Explorer window that you presumably already have open to that folder. [Use F5 to refresh it, if it doesn`t refresh itself automagically, `k?]

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 7:47 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay - had visitors.
I have typed in the above commands and nothing has happened.
The CMD centre says: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
It would only allow me to type the command in this way:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages" for %a in (*.package.disabled) do ren %a %a.
(if I press return after '\Mods\Packages' it just says C:\Windows\System32)

Am I being a total spaz?

(sorry if I am...I know how annoying it is trying to explain something to somebody that has no clue).

#8 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:13 PM
Sorry for the delay; I had other thigns to attend to also, including that the site seemed to be down for a while.
That was intended to be typed on two lines. The CD command should change the command prompt to the full path to the folder containing the files, then the other line will change the names.

If anything is being a spaz, it is probably Windoze 7, which gets all bent out of shape trying to prevent us from managing our own computers. Grrr!

Well, here`s another idea, which I was going to suggest as something to keep around in case you ever did this AGAIN.

1. Open NotePad or another TEXT EDITOR. Do NOT use a word-processor!
2. Type the for-ren command into a new file. You MAY copy-paste from the web-page, if that makes it easier.
3. Save that file as EnableAllPackages.BAT in the SAME folder as your package files. If NotePad saves it as EnableAllPackages.BAT.txt, just rename it to remove the .txt from the end of the name. The icon will change from a page to something else if that happens.
4. Open that folder in Windows Explorer.
5. Double-click on EnableAllPackages.BAT.

Does THAT help?

Oh, an afterthought: Are you running a User [or Limited] account or an Administrator [or Unlimited] account? If you`re using a User account, it might work better with an Administrator account. **** Windoze!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:14 PM
I have just tried again with no space between 'packages"' and 'for' and it went through all of my files but says 'access denied' after each one...and it hasn't worked.
At least it did something though...?!

#10 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:15 PM
Oops, cross-posting! If you missed it, please read my Post#8 above.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:19 PM
haha I know what you mean. I guess Windows 7 is better than Vista in some ways, but it is flawed in major ways.
I tried what you said, but although it has saved as EnableAllPackages.BAT, it is still a txt file...is this ok? Am i supposed to save it as a different sort of file?

#12 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:26 PM
It needs to be BAT, and NOT TXT, or it won`t work. If you have to, unhide known extensions. I have no more time today, but if you still need help tomorrow, I`ll be back. Good luck meantime! Toodle-oo!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:24 PM
Ok. Thanks very much for your time and help!!!!!!!
Much appreciated!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 9:32 PM
bugger...I managed (after some checking on the net...DOH!) to remove the .txt and make it .BAT - Opened in the folder as you said but it hasn't worked.
You are right...******* Wingows 7!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 11:00 PM
I have gone through and changed them all by hand - phew - which has taken hours...but i'm not knowledgable enough to do it any other way!
Thanks for your help, i'm sure you would have been able to fix it but it was bugging me and I really wanted to play the sims...now i've done it i can't be bothered :P
Oh well...much much thanks anyway!!!

#16 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:01 PM
You are VERY welcome for all the help I`ve provided; I`m just sorry that the help wasn`t more useful. At least I *tried* to help.

Just curious: did Windoze 7 say "access denied" for each file? ...and are you running as an Administrator or as a User? Administrator accounts have less stupid interference from Windoze --for a reason: Windows assumes that Administrators Know What They`re Doing and that Users Are Stupid Or Irresponsible, and tries harder to protect the system from Unauthorized Behavior.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 7:16 PM
Hi, just saw that you'd posted again - sorry for not replying sooner.
I am running as an Administrator and it did say 'access denied' for each file.
Not sure what the problem is with it. I think you are right - Windows doesn't want me to be able to do anything!
Thanks for trying though!

#18 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 8:07 PM
You`re welcome. It would have worked in XP. No worry for not replying sooner.

Theorist
#19 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 1:40 AM
Next time you want to rename files in batch, google "better file rename". Handy little utility
Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Jul 2024 at 3:57 AM
Hey! I had the same problem and the command Mad Poster offered doesn't work. The correct command for the second line is

for %f in (*.disabled) do ren "%f" "%~nf"

I asked chatgpt, we are in the future and now it's easier, but I'll comment this if someone ever have the same problem. Good night!