Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2024 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 12th Oct 2024 at 7:51 AM.
Default How do I recolor an object when the object is not designable?
I chose to clone the Get Up! Alarm Clock and thought I was doing fine and satisfied with it in-game - thinking now for the recolors!
I added my new textures images, updated the material definition, then discovered there was no MMATS resource.

After creating a resource and choosing Material Override, I then extracted a MMat from another object and replaced the Material Override entry, before going on to change the info to relate to the clock (including the GUID).
I created the 5 new entries for the recolors and fixed integrity.
When I check in-game, the clock is showing "this object is not designable".

Is there something else I need to do in SimPE - perhaps the behaviors?
I have attached the zip.file of the clock (the version with the added colors).

I have also tried using the recolor option in SimPE with my first version (with one color) and no info is generated which I would expect to see (texture image and material override).
My SimPE settings include having CEP enabled.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Thermal Atomic Alarm Clock but no recolors despite MMAT added.zip (130.8 KB, 2 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Oct 2024 at 9:48 PM
https://hugelunatic.com/adding-recorable-subsets/ (Step 4)

THe GMNDs are lacking the "tsDesignModeEnabled" entry. Without it, the item isn't recolorable. Fairly sure the ones that refer to the "alarmclockcheap_clock" subset need it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Oct 2024 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
https://hugelunatic.com/adding-recorable-subsets/ (Step 4)

THe GMNDs are lacking the "tsDesignModeEnabled" entry. Without it, the item isn't recolorable. Fairly sure the ones that refer to the "alarmclockcheap_clock" subset need it.

Hello @simmer22
Thank you for your prompt reply and advice.

I tried adding this tsDesignModeEnabled info to the tslocator line of the Geometric Node and it definitely mirrors HugeLunatic's pics. The only thing odd, was that there were only 2 Datalist extension listed - instead of 3 before I updated it. This extra extension line would make it 4. I have tried with 3 and 4 lines - and both crash my game when I go into buy mode and select electronics/small.

Do I have to add tsDesignModeEnabled to all the entries, including the broken clock?

Thank you in advance.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Oct 2024 at 10:19 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Oct 2024 at 10:31 AM.
'scuse me, sorry, brain lightly fried from night shifts - make sure you do all the steps (1-4) in the tutorial when adding the "tsDesignModeEnabled", not just adding to the blocklist (add to the cObjectGraphNode and all that, too). If you skip those steps, the game will crash, no questions asked (can't find correct number in cObjectGraphNode? Insta-crash!)

(I mainly pointed out step 4 because it had the "tsDesignModeEnabled" blocklist shown)

Fairly sure you need to add it to all the ones with clock parts (not shadows).

You always add the next number up from what's in your object, not the one shown in the tutorial. (don't look too closely on the numbers shown in the tutorial pictures - how many entries depend on the cloned object and various other factors, so if the tutorial had shown a sofa, the entries probably wouldn't match perfectly with a chair. A few of the common blocklist entries strictly aren't necessary for a custom object, either).

Just 2 datalist entries can be normal. Some non-recolorable objects don't have more (I made a couple recolorable alarm clocks a whileback, and they had a similar setup). I'm not entirely sure if the CEP makes the original clock recolorable, but probably not?
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Oct 2024 at 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
'scuse me, sorry, brain lightly fried from night shifts - make sure you do all the steps (1-4) in the tutorial when adding the "tsDesignModeEnabled", not just adding to the blocklist (add to the cObjectGraphNode and all that, too). If you skip those steps, the game will crash, no questions asked (can't find correct number in cObjectGraphNode? Insta-crash!)

(I mainly pointed out step 4 because it had the "tsDesignModeEnabled" blocklist shown)

Fairly sure you need to add it to all the ones with clock parts (not shadows).

Just 2 datalist entries can be normal. Some non-recolorable objects don't have more (I made a couple recolorable alarm clocks a whileback, and they had a similar setup). I'm not entirely sure if the CEP makes the original clock recolorable, but probably not?

Hello @simmer22
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I ended up using the clock version with just one color, then followed the tutorial Steps 1 to 5 before adding a couple of recolors to see if it would work - however yet another crash.

My conclusion is I need to add the tsDesignModeEnabled to the clock, hour and minute hands entries too.
I will let you know how I get on.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Oct 2024 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
There is a CEP extra for the alarm clock, it might be helpful to download the cep-extras, and make sure SimPE loads them.

Hello HugeLunatic
Thank you for your advice and I will download the CEP extra shortly.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue I am having.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Oct 2024 at 7:51 AM
Update 12/10/2024
Yesterday, I tried and tried with the Get Up! Alarm Clock - continually causing my game to crash (Log file now enormous!).

So I opted to try using the Ikea PS Clock which did work but I spent ages trying to relocate the hours and minutes hands as this clock is massive compared to the cheap alarm clock.

This morning, I went into SimPE and extracted the mesh and the broken textures for the Ikea PS Clock, then opened my latest version of my own clock and compared both side by side.
Turns out, there was an issue with a few subset names which I amended. I also added back the bells (shown in MMAT) which I deleted because I didn't think I needed. I also changed the 'broken' to be the exact same name as shown on the Ikea PS Clock plus added back the broken textures.

Adding the tsDataModeEnabled entries is only required for the root, hour and minute entries.

All in all, doing these changes has now successfully got the clock to recolor.