Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2024 at 8:33 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Crash when starting game
hello,
i have this issue that popped out of nowhere and i'm so confused. i haven't been using my laptop often this week, and the last time i booted up my game was on saturday, two days ago. no problems there, all is fine and good.
today i thought of opening it again but i couldn't get past the loading screen after the the intro cutscene. it just immediately crashes for some reason. i attached my error log and i've done the following:

1) i have the 4gb patch installed
2) i used the graphics rule maker to set my memory to 4096 (i have 12 gb ram, i set it lower to reduce overheating. plus it worked fine before)
3) i followed the steps here https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
4) i tried running the game with after renaming my save file folder to create a fresh save
5) deleted all caches before boot up

i should also mention that i use ts2 rpc by lazyduchess, but i tried running the game directly from Sims2EP9 and the crashing continued
i have no idea why this happened, like i said i didn't do anything new, i didn't install anything on my laptop. i've been at work all day so i've barely had the chance to touch it, and when i do i just write report on google docs, nothing else.
i really hope someone can help me
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2024.07.08 22.16.21.txt (15.0 KB, 4 downloads)
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jul 2024 at 10:13 PM
Drag your Documents/ EAGames/ The Sims 2 folder to the desktop. Boot the game. Does it run now?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2024 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Drag your Documents/ EAGames/ The Sims 2 folder to the desktop. Boot the game. Does it run now?

I tried doing so but the crashing still happened
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jul 2024 at 2:55 PM
Okay, that rules out that something in your userdata is causing issues. Could you check your antivirus- make sure it is not set to scan your Documents/ EAGames folder on-access, or any of the files in your gamedata (where you installed the game to, D:\Program Files\EA Games). Also, check that you don't have OneDrive or other cloud storage trying to synch your game files. Has your PC applied any updates since you last played? Try checking manually that the OS is fully updated, and restart the computer if it has to apply any updates.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2024 at 4:16 PM
Okay, that rules out that something in your userdata is causing issues. Could you check your antivirus- make sure it is not set to scan your Documents/ EAGames folder on-access, or any of the files in your gamedata (where you installed the game to, D:\Program Files\EA Games). Also, check that you don't have OneDrive or other cloud storage trying to synch your game files. Has your PC applied any updates since you last played? Try checking manually that the OS is fully updated, and restart the computer if it has to apply any updates.

i added both the documents/EA Games and D:\Program Files\EA Games to the exclusion list of the antivirus from settings (i don't have any other antivirus). as for OneDrive, i stopped it a long time ago and checked again just in case but it's not running. my PC hasn't updated since 03/07/2024 which would be on wednesday and like i've said before i played the game no problem on 06/07/2024 saturday.
thank you for trying to help me simsample, i really appreciate it, i hope my game can get working soon
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Jul 2024 at 2:27 PM
Hmm, I hope someone else might think of something else to try! I'm a bit stumped now, not sure what could have happened to change things.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jul 2024 at 3:55 PM
Hmm, I hope someone else might think of something else to try! I'm a bit stumped now, not sure what could have happened to change things.

i ended up reinstalling the whole game and that fixed the crashing, i don't know how i could've messed up the core files of the game but i guess that's case closed for my problem :/
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Jul 2024 at 4:18 PM
It happens sometimes. Don't worry! At least you got it working again.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Jul 2024 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sarah.h0201
i ended up reinstalling the whole game and that fixed the crashing, i don't know how i could've messed up the core files of the game but i guess that's case closed for my problem :/

Oh, good! I'm glad you fixed it, well done!