Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2024 at 12:32 PM
Default Shows you've "hate watched" and why
Have you ever watched a show even though it's made you cringe? To the point of many seasons, even? I have a few, but let's start with Dawson's Creek. My sister recommended it and I kept wondering why? I started to see more of her in it and slowly lost some respect for her. It felt inane and meaningless, but I still watched to the end! I think I even managed to enjoy moments of it, although so much of it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Jul 2024 at 10:55 PM
it's a movie, but Fateful Findings by Neil Breen. Classic 'so bad it's good.'
Scholar
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2024 at 10:09 PM
Young Sheldon. The kid himself? Horrible. The family? Fantastic!
And MTVs Catfish for some reason
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2024 at 11:27 PM
When I was younger - The Brady Bunch - hated it for how it falsely portrayed young people, but somehow just couldn't help myself. Loved the movie that spoofed it.

- The Partridge Family, but you'd never get me to admit that I had a crush on David Cassidy!

Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2024 at 10:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Aug 2024 at 5:10 AM.
One I probably would "hate" to watch is the Wheel of Time series. I've seen some clips, and it seems they've done what they always do with book-to-movie adaptions - butcher several of the best scenes from the books (the main ones are there, but handled very poorly), the magic system, several of the characters and character arcs, yadda, yadda yadda.

Then again, I think I would be okay with some of the characters. Maybe not quite the ones I'd pictured for some roles, some I could get used to, and some that just seem to be the entirely wrong ones. At least it seems they haven't completely ruined one of my favorite characters (based on the few clips I could find, anyway). Could get used to her in the role... But what keeps me the most annoyed is why they somewhere halfway into one of the series shaved the red, curly locks off of the character who is very much known FOR his red hair. They better have a really good explanation, because the short-shaved hair is just wrong for that particular character.

Rant over - yep, I'd most definitely love to hate on this series, but probably still like it. I've had much the same experience with other book-to-series adaptions (and book-to-film, though they often but not always tend to not go completely off the rails with the material). All the differences annoy me, but if there are enough differences, I'm usually able to see the show as a different entity from the books - especially if I've read the books first (since I have my own rough idea on how the characters look like, pre-knowledge of stuff, plus some idea of where the adaption is veering off into its own thing - which this one seems to do quite early off, for no reason ).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Aug 2024 at 9:18 PM
I don't hate watch. If I am not genuinely interested, I switch to something else.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 7th Aug 2024 at 6:46 AM
I am guilty of doing this with 90 Day Fiancé since late 2019 although its not so much hate, just cringing/fascinated by how people socialize (or lack thereof). :X

Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
The Brady Bunch - Loved the movie that spoofed it.

LOVE that movie too. Now I need to rewatch it. :D

I just recently watched Party Monster after seeing the soundtrack cover on discogs and goin "Is that chloe sevigny?!" seth green and that home alone dude are in it too--it is so incredibly campy/low-budget. Didn't care for the movie glorifying a drug-induced murderer but I never knew of the NYC sub-culture the movie is based on (Club Kids).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Aug 2024 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by intransitmatt
I am guilty of doing this with 90 Day Fiancé since late 2019 although its not so much hate, just cringing/fascinated by how people socialize (or lack thereof). :X

Oh, you are reminding me - I've watched "Love at First Sight" even though it's just always a disaster. This series is completely responsible for increasing the divorce rate stats and it's so hetero and gender normative. I think I'm over it.

One of my guilty pleasures is the Twilight series. I know it isn't a great set of movies, but I LOVE the music, the setting, and the costumes.

@PANDAQUEEN - It could also be your "guilty pleasures" - shows or movies you've watched that you would prefer not to tell most people you know.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Aug 2024 at 11:10 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 10th Aug 2024 at 5:56 AM. Reason: Clarity, Addendum, Tweaks and Errors
Guilty pleasure? Well, in high school, I watched Jackie Chan Adventures, it was so fleshed out in Chinese mythos, that you’re engrossed more in the mythos of China and it was less self endorsement of a celebrity.

It was beyond a post-episode, pre-credit Q&A from young fans of his movie from the Rush Hour eras, where he broke out of the niche following he had.

It was actually fun to watch. Even the late great Julian Sands voiced Valmont, the Dark Hand's boss for a couple seasons, along with operatives played by Adam Baldwin (from firefly) as Finn, and Clancy Brown (who played Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob SquarePants) played both Dark Hand operative Ratso and head of the hero agency (I can't remember it... it's been 20 some odd years) Captain Black, wore practically all black.

It had mostly Chinese mythos, but one season focused on Japanese mythos involving 9 Oni type mask, 9 different kinds of Shadowkhan ninjas involved with the masks (The Shadowkhan emerged originally back in season 1) when said masks were in use and 9 different antidote artifacts to render the mask artifact useless through sealing the variant Shadowkhan ninjas.

It ran for 5 seasons between 2000-2005.

The first episode introduces Jackie and his animated family, his uncle (we don't know his name. In fact, during a visit to Hong Kong, Jackie's sibling and sibling-in-law, address him as Uncle, which is normal throughout Chinese speaking regions and Japan to address older men as either uncle or grandpa regardless of relationship as part of communal morale.) His preteen niece Jade from Hong Kong, arrives in town due to failing grades in Hong Kong.

The final episode takes a look into Jade's future at Captain Black's organization.

Currently, the physical media currently available new is Season 2 and "The Demon Portal Saga" and the reason for a slow release of a complete series is likely...

1.) due in part of Sony producing it and have distribution\ownership issues

2.) Warner Brothers, currently not winning any favors with cartoon fans (because of both CEO David Zaslav and numerous associated guilds fighting against AI replacing the cast and crew) and aired the show on KidsWB and Cartoon Network (which I watched the latter network to catch up on before I watch the 4th season)

3.) Along with the ill-fated KidsWB's spliced together crossover promos which have numerous copyright issues

(i.e. The Pokémon anime from 4Kids was absorbed by The Pokémon Company during the Generation 3 era of Pokémon and Animaniacs were tossed about in terms of distribution when the short-lived revival happened, particularly the Amblin episodes from 1993 to 1999, when the show was cancelled an episode shy of 100 episodes.)

(The Pokémon anime was chosen to cut costs in the line up while the semi edutainment show Histeria remained during the great fight between WB and the FCC's complaint of educational content or lack thereof.)

The crew of Histeria, they pretty much got away with murder with certain mentions of things when they utilized a motley crew of characters for historical storytelling, like Sappho's lesbian nature (they said euphemistically "She wasn't into men" from The World's Oldest Woman), mentioning Napoleon's stomach cancer being part of his downfall after he was exiled to St. Helena and yes, Loud Kid who would shout during an "interactive portion" where viewers were enticed to crank the volume at Father Time's behest and even potty humor from a big, fat baby named...Big Fat Baby.

The cast of minor characters were something to behold, including an autograph seeking groupie named Pepper, who would get upset from historical figures signing their names and she finds out they weren't in show business (i.e. once mistaken Vladimir Lenin for John Lennon) and a Ed McMahon wannabe named oddly enough "Lucky Bob", to name a few.

There would be moments in Histeria where it halts to have the head of Standards and Practices, network censor, Lydia Karaoke try to sanitize the historical aspects.

The old KidsWB block when they had original content was a guilty pleasure of mine.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Aug 2024 at 11:38 AM Last edited by lastolympian : 19th Aug 2024 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarifying
The Umbrella Academy.

I loved Klaus and Five but honestly, everything everyone else did did just made me go "what the hell.. WHY?!". The first season was amazing, and really set up what I consider could've been the best plot I've seen from a Netflix Original.. BUT the amount of plot holes and inconsistencies were crazy, especially with the erratic behaviour of their sibling Allison. Don't even get me started on her character, it's probably one of the most poorly written characters I've ever watched (from a TV show). What's even worse is that in the final, fourth season that came out roughly a week ago, nothing from the previous seasons was really mentioned! A fan service affair was added (where it was admitted it was out of character for the TWO of them), and the finale was so meaningless and went against majority of the things the show was about.

I genuinely was so disappointed after watching through halfway of season 2 that I tried to "prove my assumptions wrong" by hate-watching the rest of the show, but unfortunately they were correct.

Shall we repose for a moment, with a tune? Shall it be a capriccio, or a serenade?