Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2024 at 6:57 PM
Default TS2 | Museum Idea - WCIF Labels with Custom Dialogue?
Ok, so this is driving me INSANE. Picture this, Art Gallery... Custom Paintaings and Sim Portraits on the walls.

Does anyone know where I can find a mod, fix, item or guide on how on earth to label a paintaing, or add a description so that it can be seen in game what it is, when a sim 'views' the item? Just for a bit of realism. Here's some of the things I've already tried (and failed) to achieve....

1. I've tried to alter the BHAV of Paintings so when you 'view', them a dialogue box pops up for you (helpfully from this guide: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=194588) with custom dialogue. Whilst this works, it seems to be global in that EVERY painting will have the same dialogue;

2. I've tried cloning an object in my game, with the idea of doing the above so when I view that item it gives me the dialogue, and then making multiple clones - however this just failed miserably, I couldn't get the BHAV to work and even with new GUID's it kept overwriting objects

3. Tried to create the painting outside of the game altogether with text added into the picture, to put in the 'Paintaings' folder and import that way... but it just pulls and warps when either put in as a photograph or a painting.

I feel like I've scoured google, MTS and individual creator websites and Tumblrs but can't seem to see anything. I can't imagine that I'm asking for the impossible - there must be a way of getting either a pop up dialogue box, or thel little yellow 'i' pops up in the top right hand corner just to remind me what each painting is when I forget

So the question is, WCIF a mod or information on this - because I'm clearly rubbish at trying to do it myself

TIA, any help appreciated.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Aug 2024 at 1:59 AM
What you want doesn't exist, but you can make it. You have a couple of options. 1. Make a global mod that will display one of a fixed amount of messages at random. 2. Edit the view interaction of every single painting that you want to display a message. But if by custom paintings, you mean easel paintings, option 1 is probably the only option, since those are all technically one object, I believe.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2024 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
What you want doesn't exist, but you can make it. You have a couple of options. 1. Make a global mod that will display one of a fixed amount of messages at random. 2. Edit the view interaction of every single painting that you want to display a message. But if by custom paintings, you mean easel paintings, option 1 is probably the only option, since those are all technically one object, I believe.

Ah ok, may have lost the creativity and motivation for the idea at this point! . The options you've suggested (I think) are ones that I've already tried but don't seem to fit the purpose of the game. Issue is with easel paintings so thanks - back to drawing board I go ha!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Aug 2024 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oHaiAlexander
Ah ok, may have lost the creativity and motivation for the idea at this point! . The options you've suggested (I think) are ones that I've already tried but don't seem to fit the purpose of the game. Issue is with easel paintings so thanks - back to drawing board I go ha!

Yeah, you kind of did try them, except that clearly something went wrong with the cloning option, because they shouldn't have been overwriting each other. Anyway, I thought more about this, and paintings do retain information about who painted them. You could display that, and maybe add another attribute that adds a description. This would be better discussed over in the Sims 2 object modding section.