Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 10:02 PM
Default Strongest Sims community??
Which sims community (sims 1,2,3 or 4) do you think uses ModTheSims the most??

DONT! BE! BLEAK!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 10:03 PM
Personally, I would say perhaps Sims 2...by the looks of the forums...sims 3 and 4 look empty to me

DONT! BE! BLEAK!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 10:32 PM
Sims 2, but in fairness, this place was made for Sims 2 and even called Modthesims 2 for a long time, and forums have fallen out of style.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 5:26 AM
Definitely 2. This was the central place to get mods and content for Sims 2 back in 2005-09 until TS3 and tumblr happened.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Sims 2, but in fairness, this place was made for Sims 2 and even called Modthesims 2 for a long time, and forums have fallen out of style.

But where would you post stuff?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 6:24 PM
Modthesims2 used to have a sister site called Sims2community, which was purely a social site. I think the two sites came together into one (as in, S2C closed and Modthesims got some more social areas). There also was Sapphiresims (revolved more around fantasy/sci-fi themed CC and such) which was somewhat affiliated (I think?) with MTS2, and closed around the same time as S2C.

I miss S2C because it had a lot of life back in the days, with contests and what have you.

Forums were more popular back then (2004--> 2010-ish)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Modthesims2 used to have a sister site called Sims2community, which was purely a social site. I think the two sites came together into one (as in, S2C closed and Modthesims got some more social areas). There also was Sapphiresims (revolved more around fantasy/sci-fi themed CC and such) which was somewhat affiliated (I think?) with MTS2, and closed around the same time as S2C.

Modthesims2 was the original site, Sims2Community was created when the social forums became extremely popular. Delphy (site owner, Tashiketh) transferred the social forums from this site to that new site, and we had finds, contests, spore discussion, off topic discussion, pictures etc, hosted there. I think it was active from mid 2005 to around 2008. Then, Sims 3 was announced and the decision was made to change the site URLs, and so to cut costs and consolidate things a bit, the site was merged back and became Modthesims.info. When the site began to use advertising the adult stuff was split off onto the Sexysims site, which exists to this day.

Sapphire sims was a completely seperate site, they were struggling to find hosting so Delphy offered to host them on the MTS servers.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=137950
I think he also helped with their coding. He did this for others too, and offered to host many more. I seem to remember that NoukieSims and Helaene were offered hosting when they were struggling, but not sure if they took it up or not.

Mike Inside is one other site hosted by this one:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=44299
http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
But where would you post stuff?

Most of the newer players seem to be on reddit or discord.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 7:07 PM
I find forums a lot easier to navigate and find posts in.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I find forums a lot easier to navigate and find posts in.

Me, too. Formats like Tumblr and blogs are too dynamic. Commenting is more difficult in many ways (possible, yes - continuation issues - way too often), and leafing through posts isn't much fun. I get that it's easy to sign up and all that, but still. It has downsides...

Forums are more static, and it's a lot easier to find stuff, search, keep track of conversations, and so on.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample

Couldn't remember the details exactly, but wasn't too far off. Still, I miss S2C. Had a lot of fun over there. I think quite a bit of the older posts went missing in the move, especially the contests. Would've loved to be able to look up some of those again (even if a lot of the pictures probably would've been gone due to outdated picture hosting).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Most of the newer players seem to be on reddit or discord.

Reddit's not too bad; it's easy to link to posts, and easy to navigate. But discord never really made sense to me as a place to share information- how do you link to, say, a tutorial someone has written there? I must admit I avoid Discord, so may not really understand how to use it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 10:20 PM
Reddit's not too bad; it's easy to link to posts, and easy to navigate. But discord never really made sense to me as a place to share information- how do you link to, say, a tutorial someone has written there? I must admit I avoid Discord, so may not really understand how to use it.

You paste in the link and name it and if it's important you pin it. Discord has a search function. You can also easily drop in files although it does have a limit on size.
If it's a simming discord they normally will have separate chat areas all labeled. So one category might be for CC, another for help, another for general chat, Sims 2 chat etc Not that different to here really. You can even stream in them and do live tutorials. On Gina's we have done classes before on various CC making and modding and are thinking of doing so again. There is a dedicated tutorial category and tons are pinned in there, each area can have up to 50 pins. If you need a new category, its easy to just make a new one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 1:42 PM
The worst thing about Tumblr is the lack of an easy search function. If you want one piece of CC and don't have a direct link, then you have to search through all the CC the creator ever made. And since everything is usually tagged under 'downloads' it makes it impossible to narrow things down to specifics if you just want to see what they have. e.g. If you were looking for a short skirt for TF, if you were unlucky you'd have to search through all downloads and even if they had a separate tag for 'clothing' or 'teen' it seems to be impossible to search for both, so you either have to search through all teen or all clothing.

Plus you don't even know if they have what you're looking for, so it might all be a waste of time. At least if you search MTS you can narrow it down to teen female clothing bottoms and put short skirt in the search box.

I find Discord good for chatting, but I prefer forums for ease of accessing information.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 1:55 PM
Tumblr is horrible as an interface. In general I find it really frustrating trying to navigate apps or sites which are algorithm driven, which is most of them these days.

I like forums, I much prefer the logical, time-based way of displaying threads, but I am clearly old XD which, to be fair, I think a lot of Sims 2 fans are.

Algorithmic content is more addictive because it encourages you to sit there and refresh/scroll endlessly. Which is the entire point, even though it creates a worse experience in terms of being able to find things and engage meaningfully. The owners of most sites/apps don't care about the user experience or meaningful engagement, anywhere near as much as they care about maximising eyeball time and any engagement. Quantity over quality.

The thing I think they don't really get (or maybe they don't care because they aren't thinking long term) is that it's actually beginning to turn people off so they start to block the sites/apps entirely and refuse to engage with them as a conscious choice because they don't want to be sucked into that attention vortex. That is certainly the way I feel about Facebook and Twitter, and I won't use tiktok at all because of this issue.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 2:06 PM
In my opinion, forums or Deedee style blogs are better, but many use Tumblr or other networks because it has a more "artistic" and modern feel, the problem is that many things end up lost forever when the person loses interest.

As you say, it's a fast food algorithm that goes quite against the "library" spirit that we all want with the Sims CC.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Tumblr is horrible as an interface.

I dunno if it's because most people use a phone to navigate these things or what, but most Sims Tumblrs seem to have a theme which uses a tiny font and a very narrow strip of actual functional page. This makes information sharing very difficult- I have to read a wall of text that resembles a two foot column from the financial times. Examples of this (no offence meant to these creators, it was just two I had come across recently, and no reflection on their work or content which I appreciate very much, it's just that I'm too old! ):

Reminds me of trying to read this:

Is this a style choice thing, or is it this way for phone usage? I rarely use phone for browsing sims sites (otherwise I'd be simming all day long ). Plus, this is me:
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#17 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 5:11 PM
Also, Tumblr depends on people's will to like/share posts to make them seen, or the posts get lost - both at tumblr as a whole, and on the person's own page (especially with poor tagging and linking to those tags). Nothing is more annoying than looking through 20+ pages of downloads for that one Tumblr, especially with tags not working and them posting a lot of other things and tagging wrong... This, combined with the horrid search function (that really doesn't work at all), plus that you need to first be made aware of people's Tumblrs at all, otherwise they're pretty much hidden (the "more of this type of content" thing they've got going just isn't working the way they think, and is annoying).

Forums and download sections on forums simply work. If the search function doesn't get you the results you want, you can scroll through all the 400+ downloads if need be. They're usually all together in a section, often sorted into categories, they're not going anywhere (Tumblr - the more someone posts, it makes it very difficult to find an older post because it only adds to the page count, and it adds up quickly), and they're also not dependent of being pushed at people (*), as long as people are aware of the site as a whole (as opposed to Tumblr).

*I get that sharing is the one thing that makes Tumblr work, but still... Some people pretty much live for sharing their old posts, several times a week, and it gets annoying very fast. I don't mind regular sharing of posts, one by one, but then there's also those who share 50+++ posts in the span of one hour, and AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH doomscrolling!!! to get past it to where you ended up last time, usually when you really don't have the time for it...

Like I said, I prefer forums.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 10:47 PM
I use Tumblr, and a few other media..and I don't get this 'phone setting' for using any of the internet.

Sure, you have a computer in your phone that makes it possible to go on the internet but that doesn't mean it's any damn good...

Meh, I'm just one of those Luddite types who don't use their phone for anything more than the time, phone calls, hooking up my hearing aids and probably the weather at the most.

"Old lady shouts at cloud: get a damn proper computer!"

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 6:36 AM
You don't use the tumblr algorithm. You turn off "best stuff first" and avoid the "for you" tab. You open your dashboard on the "Following" tab and see the blogs you follow. From the dashboard, you don't see the stupid themes and everything's in the same, readable font. You can also follow tags, and search tags, and arrange them chronologically rather than by most popular.

The great advantage of tumblr is that you don't have to upload pictures to a file host - you upload them directly to tumblr from your machine, and they stay there!

But the search function does suck. Thoughtful creators have pinned posts with links to their download tags, but no matter what you do, you'll have to wade through stuff, and if you don't remember the creator, you're stuck.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 4:46 PM
Don't have to upload to a file host on MTS either. Plus simfileshare is useful.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You don't use the tumblr algorithm. You turn off "best stuff first" and avoid the "for you" tab. You open your dashboard on the "Following" tab and see the blogs you follow. From the dashboard, you don't see the stupid themes and everything's in the same, readable font.

I think that may require having a Tumblr account? I avoid having accounts for sites I'm not going to actively use and I often get a message to sign up when following links to tumblr dashboard feeds (at least I assume that's what they are- links that start Tumblr.com/username rather than username/Tumblr.com). Tumblr is one of the few sites that is largely inpenetrable by search engines, too! Otherwise, I manage okay finding stuff on sites that I don't have accounts on.