Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2024 at 10:47 AM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 26th Sep 2024 at 7:16 PM.
Default Graphical error when replacing GMDC
I have created some toast in Blender, with a texture (image 1), and when I import it into Milkshape, it works fine (image 2) but when I replace the GMDC in SimPe, the texture gets messed up in a few places (image 3).

What is the reason/fix for this?

(sorry images 2 and 3 got switched)

EDIT: I'm fairly sure it was an issue with duplicated vertices (which also caused mesh explosion of one of the morphs). I always forget to merge vertices by distance in Blender, which gets rid of the duplicates.

Edit 2: Hmm, no I didn't solve the exploding morph meshes, although the texture is sorted.
What causes exploding meshes? The 3 meshes (original state, half state and none state) all have the same no of vertices/faces.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Oct 2024 at 6:57 PM
It's an edible food sims can eat, correct? If so, have you checked that the half state + empty state (if you have them!) have the same polycount as the original state? I have a post here on my tumblr trying to explain how food morphs "work", I'll paste some of it below:
[...]The group named “state” is the non-eaten/full state, the ~00MORPHMOD.2 is the half-eaten state and ~00MORPHMOD.1 is the empty state.

Now, here’s the tricky part: all groups/morphs must have the exact same vertex-count. This means that in the empty state, you’ll see this small blob:

and it contains the exact same amount of vertexes as the “state” group. In the half-eaten state, you can see it hidden inside the food here:

• the empty state (aka ~00MORPHMOD.1 group) contains a blob made up of exactly the same amount of vertexes as the group “state” (aka the non-eaten/full state). The blob is hidden inside the plate (the plate is not included in foodeat*foodsname*_root_rot_gmdc resources, but just put your new blob in the same place as EA’s blob and you should be ok).
  • the half-eaten state’s blob is hidden inside the food, and that blob is made of the amount of vertexes needed to reach the same amount as the non-eaten state. In other words: half-eaten state’s amount of vertexes + blob’s vertexes = same amount as non-eaten / full state’s vertexes.

Not sure if you understood it, I'm not very good at explaining! AriesFlare has a tutorial here you might be interested in. Now, I'm not 100% sure this your problem, but I know that if you manage to export meshes out from Milkshape with incorrect morphs, they ususally explode like that