Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2024 at 12:09 AM
Default Making this lot feel more Audrey Avenue-ish
I've been trying to remodel 43 Cypress Drive from Arbor Falls (kid me used to love this lot and I've been dying to use it) such that it would fit in with Belladonna Cove's lots from the rich part of the neighbourhood, aka Audrey Avenue where the Rutherford family lives. I've used pretty much every "trick" the other two Audrey Avenue lots use (I'm not counting Audrey Manor for this as it looks kind of out of place, only the residential lots) - the walls, the floors, the windows, the doors, the fence, the roof, the half-columns, the balcony to break up the middle section, but I'm still not totally convinced and it's because of the two lateral sections. It's not that I think it looks bad, but I'm also not in love with it. The other houses here are rather small when it comes to width but have height while 43 Cypress Drive is very wide and only one story tall except in that middle section, and it's also not symmetrical. Removing the lateral sections would defeat the purpose of the makeover, it would stop feeling like 43 Cypress Drive, but I'm not sure what I can do to improve it? I removed the roof and replaced with a flat roof with half-walls just like in the back, but again I'm not entirely convinced, in an ideal world I would leave the flat roof for the annex just like in the original lot.

Any suggestions? Also, I intend on shrinking the lot with LotAdjuster by 5 on each side to make it a 3x4 and make it feel more compact instead of a house in the middle of nowhere.
Screenshots

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 6th Jul 2024 at 2:03 AM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 6th Jul 2024 at 2:57 AM.
Okay, update. I made a few changes, I changed the walls to a whiter brick, the half-wall border is black instead of grey/white, the roofs now extend all the way to the balcony floor and the placement of a few windows changed according to what was happening inside to make it make more sense. This is what I now have.
Screenshots

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 6th Jul 2024 at 11:44 AM
That white and the black rail half walls make it look so much better! One thing I notice is that I'm not keen on the brownstone used on the foundation edge; I wonder if it would look nicer with something else, maybe one of the huge marble block textures or something? I'm not a fan of that against the grey steps and patio stone texture, but I'm sure some people would disagree?