Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old Today at 9:19 PM Last edited by theonionqueen13 : Today at 9:32 PM. Reason: attaching dxdiag
Default Sims 4 overloading my GPU and crashing my game/PC
Operating System -- Windows 11 Pro
Processor -- 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11390H @ 3.40GHz 3.42 GHz
RAM -- 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
The type of graphics card you have - brand, model number, RAM, and driver version --Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 32.0.101.6083 (10/3/2024)

What you were doing before the problem occurred --
Cluttering shelves in build mode with a bunch of newly downloaded CC, including an OMSP shelf. I was specifically sliding items off of the OMSP shelf onto other surfaces when it (repeatedly) occurred (in many varying iterations). Tried again with no CC (emptied mods folder), same problem. Same problem when sliding items off of regular base game surfaces. But I could go for a while before the problem would randomly arise. I don't think the action I was completing was actually the issue - it seems to be a GPU overloading issue but I'm stumped as to what is causing it. After troubleshooting for quite a while and realizing my GPU was overloaded, rather than play testing until the game would shut down or glitch out, I would consider each test failed when I see it maxing out my GPU on the tax manager.

Exactly what is happening --
There have been many iterations of how the game is failing for me this time, but it usually involves some serious lag kicking in before or at the same time as the issues occur. One of the common iterations is that the game becomes essentially unresponsive, but it *looks* responsive -- i.e., I can move objects to where I want them, and rotate them, but when I click to place them, they won't place. I can unselect the object only by choosing a different tool from the build mode toolbar, but then I still can't move that object or any others, can't go out of build mode, can't exit the game, can't make the task manager come up or get any keyboard shortcuts to successfully navigate me out of the game -- and if I save it, it freezes entirely while saving and won't exit. So I have to bring up the task manager keyboard shortcut and simply reboot my computer.

Another iteration is where the whole game just suddenly closes. Boom, gone.

Another iteration is that the object I am moving suddenly disappears when I place it (but I still get charged the simoleons for purchasing the item), and similarly, another iteration is where the whole shelf I am placing items on just disappears, along with everything that is slotted onto it. In either of these cases, the game is stuck like that once it happens and I have to close the game.

I was already well into troubleshooting before I started monitoring the GPU usage, so I don't know what it normally looks like (But I rarely experience lag in my game, normally). CPU and memory usage are no issue. But when I load up the game, my GPU will spike into the 70-80%s, fall back down, and then raise up to 70-90% when the game is loaded. When I go into build mode it gets worse, and if I am moving the camera around and doing stuff it goes down to maybe 50-60% on average but whenever I am just letting it sit still doing nothing, it goes up and sits at 100%. And of course there is significant lagging.

I also noticed early on in my troubleshooting that the lagging seemed to get worse whenever I would open the cheat console and/or type in the bb.mobeobjects or any other cheat.

What you have tried to fix it --
-Removed Mods folder
-deleted localthumbcache.package like a million times throughout
-New Save
-Verified integrity of game files
-Renamed The Sims 4 folder
-Reinstalled EA
-Reinstalled Steam
-Reinstalled Sims 4
-Updated Graphics Driver
-Turned off both of my most recently purchased expansions, both individually and together
-Changed in-game graphics quality from Ultra to High
-Tried playing in offline mode
-Tried to follow instructions to switch from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 but couldn't find how to do all the steps on my machine
-Windows is up to date
-The Sims 4 is up to date
-Machine is not overheating

I'm not terribly tech savvy but I am learning as I go, and I have someone who can help me understand things. I may not have found all of the info for my graphics card that is needed, but also couldn't find that on my own. Let me know if I need to provide more information. I'm very grateful if anyone can help me solve this!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DxDiag.txt (96.0 KB, 1 downloads)