Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2024 at 6:16 PM Last edited by Nadziejka : 14th Jul 2024 at 8:16 PM.
Default My default replacement mesh is invisible in-game
Hi, I wanted to make a default replacement of the dolls that kids hold in their hands when playing with a dollhouse. I'm pretty familiar with S3PE and texture replacements, but I'm still new to replacing meshes, so I followed this tutorial. It went smoothly up until I tested the mod for the first time and noticed that the dolls are invisible.

To see what was wrong, I made a version of my mod that only replaces the DDS texture, and it shows up correctly (i.e. the original dolls are visible but with messed up textures, due to the uv maps being different) so there must be something wrong with the mesh itself.
But I'm not sure what, because the dolls looked okay in TSRW (except for the broken terrain, idk what's up with that)

Any idea what could have gone wrong here?

Edit: I tried including the original RIG, VXPY, OBJD and OBJK files in the mod package, but the dolls still won't show up.

Edit2: Clearing cache didn't work either.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 15th Jul 2024 at 2:14 AM
You could try exporting the mesh for the original doll and using it as bone reference (the bone icon next to the import buttons) during the mesh import step of that tutorial.
The bone assignments are in the mesh itself, so it's possible it only worked out on the rubber duck because it was edited rather than replaced.
Worth checking for flipped normals on your mesh in whichever mesh editor you're using, too.

Making default replacements through TSRW and replacing IDs after risks leaving a lot of broken references, I'll add it to the list of tutorials that could do with a modern update.
Instructor
#3 Old 18th Jul 2024 at 10:41 PM
Now that your CC is published, would you mind sharing how you solved the issue for others who may come across this thread?