Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 12:52 AM
Default Sims 3 Makin' Magic Aesthetic Lot Sounds & Music??
Hello all! I don't usually post here, but something that has been nagging me since the advent of the Sims 2 is the recapture of the aesthetics of Makin' Magic. Sims 3 Supernatural got very close, however, I really really really miss the Creep Hollow lot sounds and feel from Makin' Magic. Does anyone know of a mod that will put those spooky random wind sounds in the Sims 3? I haven't seen anything, and I cannot seem to track down those sound files in the game files. If someone is willing to help put this together, I would be over the moon thrilled! I do have some ideas on how to do it.

Same thing for the Creepy Hollow build/buy music. I've seen replacements for Sims 1 in general, but not just sims Makin Magic music replacements. The only way to get it is through the World Adventures "France" radio station.
Don't even get me started on magic items.

Let me know your thoughts!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 2:15 AM
I personally turn the Store world Midnight Hollow into my Magic Town, with the help of some mods that make it less monochrome (Shimrod's Midnight Hollow Terrain, Aminovas' MH Plant Overrides, any lighting mod) and I used the Broadcaster tool to make a station of Makin Magic music to play on the lots.

I've only got the base game TS1 installed right now, but I can see that the file formats for the sound fx are quite peculiar! I'd recommend asking in the TS1 discussion forum here if they're familiar with how to access and convert those files, as there are a few long time TS1 modders around who are very passionate about all such things
If one was really desperate, there are probably YouTube videos the sfx could be ripped from. I'm not sure if TS3 has ambient sounds in the same way that could be replaced, but the first step should be getting your hands on those files.

There are a number of TS1 item recreations for TS4 that you could learn to convert. I converted a Hole in the Ground for personal use, but I can't seem to find the original TS4 set it was from at all otherwise I would link it
The main difficulty is that TS1 items aren't true 3D and can't be converted, so it's down to talented 3D artists to make them from scratch. There's a fair bit from TS1 I'd like to make eventually, but I'm still working on the talented part

Some things that aren't conversions but fit the theme very well include Cyclonesue's Caravan set and the Store set 'Drifter's Desire'. Actually, there is a lot of Store content that goes a long way. 'World of Wonder' and related Roaring Heights content is also very useful for the fairground parts, Le Cirque Espirit and More Magic! too.
I digress, because this is a lot more than you asked for, but Makin Magic has an iron grip on me. Even my Animal Crossing island is Magic Town.....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 10:01 PM
UPDATE! Found them!
UPDATE! I was able to locate, extract, and convert the audio effects files that I was looking for! They are just as spooky as I remember Side note, the game is full of random "scream" sounds that aren't used. Some of them are quite questionable lol. Anyway, now that I have the files, I just need to figure out a way to get them into the Sims 3 and play at random. Any Ideas?
I've seen sound emitters that play loop sounds and such, but nothing that I can customize. I also saw a post about how the ambiance of areas is linked to trees, so maybe something like that? I'm open to any and all help to make this happen. Anyone want to put their modding skills to the test? Mine aren't very good.