Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2024 at 9:21 AM
Default Package size limit?
Is there an actual package size limit for .package files in the Mods folder? I have seen some suggest what the launcher will create is the limit but I have one at "483 MB (507,300,052 bytes)" according to Windows while the launcher only created a "363 MB (381,075,132 bytes) for the largest one of four out of game worlds and I have never seen the launcher create 400 MB+ files just lots of 300+ files. I have also seen when google searching this very question I also got the installer size limit while someone else said they have multiple 1 GB package files in the same thread. Is there a limit?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Aug 2024 at 9:49 AM
There isn't really a hard limit, but soft limits are set / adhered to depending on the program that is creating the package.
CCMagic and Sims 3 Mod Organizer use 1GB as their default cap, but at least in S3MO I know it can be customised to whatever you want. Sounds like the launcher is just a lot more modest and splits around the 400mb mark.

The base game files themselves are separated into 3 packages, the largest of them being 1.77GB, which seems like a good baseline to consider for what is stable or reasonable to use.
There isn't much stopping you from going over that, but there are few benefits after a certain point.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2024 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
There isn't really a hard limit, but soft limits are set / adhered to depending on the program that is creating the package.
CCMagic and Sims 3 Mod Organizer use 1GB as their default cap, but at least in S3MO I know it can be customised to whatever you want. Sounds like the launcher is just a lot more modest and splits around the 400mb mark.

The base game files themselves are separated into 3 packages, the largest of them being 1.77GB, which seems like a good baseline to consider for what is stable or reasonable to use.
There isn't much stopping you from going over that, but there are few benefits after a certain point.

That's good to hear, I have allot of clothes and hairs to consolidate into 1 .package file for each instead of 2 of each and then getting everything else into a package for the category(vehicles have been done for quite some time). Main benefit though for me is organization, consolidated files are always going to be installed so makes temporary stuff that are for a playthrough easier to find and remove.
Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Aug 2024 at 2:26 PM Last edited by NathanFoster : 23rd Aug 2024 at 2:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims

There isn't an official package size limit for .package files in The Sims mods, but practical limits are influenced by how the game and modding tools handle large files. Most users find that keeping individual .package files under 300 MB avoids performance issues. Larger files can sometimes cause problems with loading or in-game stability. I was in a bind with a tough paper, so I turned to https://domypaper.com/ The experience was exceptional. The writer provided a well-researched, well-organized paper that met all my requirements. The communication was smooth, and the paper was delivered ahead of schedule. The quality of work was outstanding, and I’m very pleased with the results. This service saved me a lot of stress, and I’ll definitely be using it again.