Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 1:27 PM Last edited by severe_009 : 7th Sep 2009 at 2:00 PM.
Lets get started! Cant wait to see your works.

Enjoy and good luck to all of you :D

Errr... btw...

What's the criteria for judging?

Challenge breeds Excellence
Advertisement
Banned
#52 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 2:26 PM
Reply to Deatherella:

Nice furniture set! Did you make this set yourself or did you downloaded it?

Reply to severe_009:

The contestants are going to be judged on "layout, design, uniqueness, creativity, and effort." (copied from the first page, happyasabunny's post)
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 2:45 PM
Oh there its is
I think it should be posted at the very 1st post for easy viewing

Test Subject
#54 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 4:49 PM
Default :o
I like karen445s room it was nice cant w8 to see her next room tho :D
Test Subject
#55 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 7:01 PM Last edited by karen445 : 7th Sep 2009 at 7:14 PM.
~ Take on the 70's ~
Round 1

I designed this room to bring out Tosha's modern lifestyle with a 70's look. It really brought out her personality and lifestyle. When Jon saw the room he freaked out because it was a lot better then the room they had before. When Tosha saw it for the first time she loved it. I tore down the walls to make it a conjoined room between a living room and a dining area with a Nice fireplace and a beautiful view of there back yard with trees and flowers and the kids swing. At the end of the day they Thanked me for giving them a great room that they will enjoy for the rest of there lives.

Room:

Presenting & Greeting:

Reactions:
Tosha:
Jon:
Scholar
#56 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 7:55 PM
I'm wondering what specifically you're looking for as a 70's look? Being a child of the 70's myself, I think what we were doing to our houses is quite different than what most of you youngsters picked up from tv and movies.

1st Place : Superb Sibling, Hearts Consume the Stars Contests
2nd place : Daddy N Me Cycle 2 Alien Edition, Sims Real Estate Contests
3rd Place : World Zombie Model Agency Contest
4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 3:01 AM
Guys i might be about to embarass myself by asking this but who are Tosha and Jon Hanson? - i looked for them and their house for a good hour - are they premade in-game sims or do i invent them and the layout of their house? Or do i go by the couple shown in the first entry for this round (the muscular guy and the "larger" lady)? I am stupid...
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 11:19 AM
@dangmal,

their just imaginary character's, it's up to you if you will show them, it's just to give you an idea or history or background of the owner of the house your designing so you could incorporate it in your design.

Banned
#59 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 3:53 PM
Take on the '70s? I think the first round is supposed to be "Far Out Man". I've no clue what's "Far Out Man", so I'm just going to wait and find out.
Test Subject
#60 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Extensa5420
Take on the '70s? I think the first round is supposed to be "Far Out Man". I've no clue what's "Far Out Man", so I'm just going to wait and find out.

Lab Assistant
#61 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:24 PM
Default Round 1 - dan gmals' application

"The seventies had such a broad style spectrum that i could really go anywhere with this, but knowing that the Hansons are both up and coming folk musicians in Riverview, i went for a modern interpretation of the psychadelic brights and open plan feel that the seventies was famous for. Its a very light-filled room and so to bounce that light around, yellow and green - both warm colours - are everywhere."

"it was important not to go too far with this, so i used one feature wall covered in retro wallpaper, and kept the rest fairly subdued - too much "wacky" seventies wallpaper would be overpowering".

"The Hansons are big entertainers so i built them a bar with a serving hatch, and a small dining table for two. They told me food is not too important in their lives, but they often throw parties, so this dedicated dining space has more of anemphasis on gruup activity

"Tosha wasn't sure about all the dark wood at first, but John loved it. after a few minutes, Tosha came up and thanked me, and they've both invited me back for a Fondue party so i must have done something right!"

Test Subject
#62 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:24 PM
Default 70's
we really love the colour of green, its a coulour of nature. We do everything to protect the forest and try to get more people to cooperate. Better love then war! so we coloured our home all green, and much paintings of nature on the wall. The wood we put in the house, is all good wood, it comes from a place where every three they cut, they put a new one! that a really good project we work on too! we really like this place to chill and relax in!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#63 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:26 PM
o i think i did the greeting wrong, do i need to put a new post of the greeting??
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#64 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 12:28 AM
wow everyones looks great im on my psp so i will update everything when i get on my computer
Test Subject
#65 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:26 AM
Ah Why do the last 2 entries Look Tropical?? I thought it was 70s look not tropical.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:45 AM
Looks awesome guys! Great work!

I love all your modern-inspired 70's themes!
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 9:31 AM
i could see why you would think my one looks tropical kevocool, but not the others?? any way, since i was going for a bright reinterpretation of hendrix/mamacass style 70's psychadelia, and since the seventies saw a huge boom in travel and what you'd call the tiki/tropical look came to influence design at home, i will take that as a complement because its exactly what i wanted! thanks for the feedback
Field Researcher
#68 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 3:56 PM
LOL I was born in 1990 so sorry in advance if mine looks nothing like the 70's.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 7:08 PM
Default My 'Far Out Man' Entry
~*~Far Out Man~*~

Why I Designed The Room This Way: Warm colors, the tangy tones of sun and earth, bring vitality and light to shadowy rooms. Red, yellow and orange, set against subtle wood make this room bright, alive, and exciting.

Today I finished decorating Tosha and Jon Hanson's Living/Diningroom. Thier budget was pretty low and they had a limited amount of space so I did what I could. When I met with them earlier this week they made a request to make thier livingroom look 70's modern. I could already tell this was going to be a challenge because it's a style I have never done before. In the end Tosha and Jon adored the result. Tosha thanked me by giving me a tight hug (something I'm certainly not use to), while Jon stood in the corner, unable to hide his excitment.

Presenting:

Living/Diningroom:

Tosha's Reaction:

Jon's Reaction:

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#70 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 10:57 PM
I will add you to the list Deatherella.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 12:15 AM
I think everyone is doing a great job! For all of you born in the late 80's and 90's, it's really easy to google 70's home decor and check out the images if you find you are stuck.

I was born in the late 70's so we still had our 'awesome, groovy' 70's furniture until the early to mid-80's. Orange, brown and putrid green...or yellow were very popular and for some reason used together like they matched somehow? "Yeah, real far out"! LOL!

The crocheted owl was another popular 70's item. It was suppose to be 'good luck' but, man that thing was eerie! Rugs were equally colourful... plush and muted coloured rugs was in almost every room, wildly designed wallpaper and linoleum floors were also another item found in most likely every home at the time...but don't forget that Happyasabunny is asking for a modern interpretation, so find some key pieces that you find interesting and put it together in a modernised theme? I don't know, I am just throwing out some ideas for the younger contestants Hope that's ok!

Michelle
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#72 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 2:14 AM
Thanks Michelle you are very right.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#73 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 11:43 AM
Alfred Ashew- You can spend as much money as you like so, yes you are correct in assuming that.
Banned
#74 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 5:14 PM
To happyasabunny: I'm really confused. There's "Round 1 Take on the '70s" challenge, but the first page says "Far Out Man". Are they the same thing or totally different? Most importantly, should I submit my entry for the first round, which looks like it's about the '70s?
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 9:29 PM Last edited by MissMichelle_JoanofSpark : 10th Sep 2009 at 9:54 PM. Reason: added comments
Default response to Extensa's question
Hey Extensa5420,

I will answer for Happyasabunny here (I don't think she'll mind...I hope!)

Happyasabunny likes to name her Rounds. Essentially it was just what she decided to name the first round and being a 70's theme, ' Far out man' seemed appropriate since it was a popular catchphrase at the time for many reasons So, Round 1: 'Far out Man' is the 70's inspired decor theme room--it's all one and the same

Sincerest,

Michelle :lovestruc

Oh, also, Happyasabunny names her Rounds so that there is also a certain element of surprise. It isn't until the actual Round is posted that the contestants will know why she chose to name them...Don't get to worried about the names, it's just a hint to what is to come in the following rounds
Page 3 of 9