Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 3:22 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Is there any way to make TS3 use more RAM?
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a way around this.

I know exactly why my game is crashing - I play a large world with lots of characters. I also have CC and play with all of the EP and most SPs. It would be a shame to have to give up on any of these aspects of gameplay and to be honest I would probably lose interest in playing TS3 if that I have to do that. My PC is very powerful with a great graphics card and CPU and lots of RAM. If only I could find a way to make the game use over 4 gb of RAM things would be fine. I tried the RamDisk trick but it made no difference, does anyone know of a way of playing a large game without the crashing?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 7:27 PM
You cannot make a 32-bit program use more than 4 GB (actually it's more like ~3.7GB); since RAM usage spikes up and down frequently, the danger zone for most of us is more like 3.5 GB. One spike beyond the flash point and the game will essentially lose its mind. If it doesn't crash, it will Errror 12 upon trying to save which is really just as bad.

There are all kinds of things you can do to help reduce unnecessary RAM usage and stress on the game, but very large fully populated worlds are always going to be a challenge to work with on any system especially as they progress.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance

I always check Task Manager to see how much RAM the world I am actively playing is using at startup, that is, once the game clock starts moving smoothly, and again throughout play to see where it tends to level off. In worlds that stay well under the danger zone most of the time, contrary to best practices, I can keep the game running for days (in real time) on my certainly less than top of the line hardware provided I'm not constantly engaged in serious Edit Town lot reconstruction projects.

Do you have a sense of how much RAM the game itself using at the beginning and in the middle of a typical session? How large is the resident population in this world with lots of characters and are you using some form of story progression? If you happen to be using NRaas MasterController, on City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > ("X" to dismiss the filter) gives you an easy read on your number of residents; unless things have gotten way out of hand, the homeless and service populations don't matter nearly as much.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Much of the RAM usage etc... has more to do with your sims population and generation. I can play the New York world, which is a humongous world, with absolutely no crash errors, no error 12, etc... However, when I play my homeworld Bridgeport, which is a smaller world, I will always run into error 12 b/c my sims are generation 20 and the world is overbloated with 1000 sims, residents and NPCs.

If you are having crash errors, it is unlikely because of the 4 GB RAM limit of the app. Either you have corrupted mods/cc, etc... or something else unrelated.

I respectfully must say that I cannot tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing here (or neither).

Warning igazor, this is not going to go well... Oh, could someone please tell the voices in my head to shut up for a minute. They aren't listening to me anymore.

I'm going to set Bridgeport aside because it has interesting issues of its own that tend to complicate things. Is the New York world one that you play as a Traveler destination or is that a different game? But in any event I've seen plenty of instances both in my own game and in helping others where reducing the resident population in a homeworld, most notably when pushed around by NRaas StoryProgression at more than the slowest Snail speed setting, has significantly reduced RAM usage while adding to it has significantly increased the same. In my case we're talking about the difference between leveling off at maybe 2.7 GB of usage vs. something like 3.0 and up. No crashes to speak of, just heavier usage and heading in that direction.

Certainly population and world size are not the only factors, agreed. But they cannot be ruled out here especially if the OP can get a less crashy and problematic experience with the same set of mods and CC in a somewhat less huge and less stuffed, less progressed world. We can most likely rule out insufficient hardware issues though as we have seen the OP's DeviceConfig recently and it's all fine. Hence my interest in getting some numbers on the table so we can see where they are starting out and leveling off at in a routine, not Edit Town or even CAS heavy game session, how many residents "lots of characters" means, and yes how many generations this ongoing game has seen.

I do understand the desire to play large, heavily populated worlds though. Personally I am a Loner but prefer to lose myself among a few million fellow residents close by rather than be that strange guy in the big house a mile away from everyone else whom no one wants to visit in a sparsely populated town, and tend to play my sims the same way in many worlds.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2016 at 6:11 AM
Thanks for your replies. I am using Nraas Story Progression so that is most likely contributing. I will try to make it run slower