Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:37 AM
Default Gay\Lesbian couples can't be joined
I heard from Gamespot's guide that the Sims 3 won't allow joining of gay\lesbian couples.

I was going to make my couples (lesbian) have a fancy ceremony.

That's the one thing I miss from the Sims 2. Random bunny because I say so.

Is this true? Someone please help me.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:41 AM
I've seen someone post pictures of a lesbian couple so I'm pretty sure it can be done. I don't have the game yet so don't trust me on that though.
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by captainzaza
I've seen someone post pictures of a lesbian couple so I'm pretty sure it can be done. I don't have the game yet so don't trust me on that though.

I haven't had a same-sex couple marry ingame yet, but I'm sure it can be done. I made a gay couple in CAS. The game refers to them as husbands.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:52 AM
Why would they take something out of TS3 that was in both TS1 and TS2? I think taking that out of TS3 would cause a huge backlash with a large chunk of the people who buy the game... and I'm 99.9% sure anyone can marry anyone in the game, regardless of sex.

nom nom nom nom
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:09 AM
I've got two males right now that are engaged and it says 'fiancee' as their title, so I'm assuming that they will be able to get married.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:11 AM
Yes, you can do it. I had two lesbians at one point who were spouses.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:22 AM
My gay sims getting hitched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8SOX1YTVc
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:31 AM
I've done it. Both with male and female same sex couples.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 6:04 AM
I made lesbian couple in CAS, I don't know if they can be married.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 6:10 AM
The moral of the story is--

Don't trust Gamespot.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 6:26 AM
Working with 2 lesbian right now and both say wife on the title... To bad they fight over the car.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrazyAce
Working with 2 lesbian right now and both say wife on the title... To bad they fight over the car.

lolwomen
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 7:02 AM
Yep my first family was a lesbian couple who had a daughter that I made in CAS. You can't share genetics though
Test Subject
#14 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 7:50 AM
Me and my male Fiance's sims are engaged in the sims 3 but idk about marriage yet
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 9:05 AM
I just had a private wedding with these 2, 1 custom and the other was Lila England, was sort of quick... TeHe stole Lila from Brody or what ever his name was, man he was pissed, big guy to. Stalks our house at night, I know I seen him walk by a few times looking in all casual and as a male player I know what hes thinking.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 10:21 AM
I think it's awesome gay people can still marry each others, but I would like to see sims with a homophobic trait in the game. t would be like in real life..
Field Researcher
#17 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TanyaTurner
I think it's awesome gay people can still marry each others, but I would like to see sims with a homophobic trait in the game. t would be like in real life..

This comment was made elsewhere and it was already "determined" as a terrible idea.

Just the same, yeah--its obvious that the source was wrong and both gay and lesbian couples can get married in the game; I've made family of each and everything turned out fine. (of course my chick's wife left her for another woman... but that's beside the point).
Inventor
#18 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 1:58 PM
I've had 2 married gay couples in the game so far and it was easy to marry them together. It's weird that gamespot would tell such a lie.
Instructor
#19 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:07 PM
I actually think that is a bogus review by game spot. As previously someone made the point that a union actually gives less aspiration points in TS3 than a marriage and said they lookedfroward to the patch for that.

Clearly they allow for the lesbian/gay interaction as you can have romantic interactions with people regardless of gender. But I will hope on a good looking male sim and explore this
Field Researcher
#20 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:23 PM
Same sex couples can indeed no longer be "joined" in the game; the ceremony is now called the same for all couples (I believe it's now referred to as "married" for everyone). Someone probably interpreted that out of context and focused on the "no more joining" part.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:27 PM
Someone from EA confirmed that gay marriage was allowed in a chat interview. It is not a joined union, but marriage this time. It's better than California, lol.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:59 PM
Thanks for clearing the air. I'm glad that you guys and gals were able to help me.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Test Subject
#23 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 6:47 PM
I just thought I'd add what happened in my game. (I think some people will like it alot).

I was working on a lesbian couple and the story I made for them. Well, I wanted one of them to cheat on the other with a man for a short time...

I had her in front of Town Hall and picked a guy for her to flirt with. She goes up and does a flirty interaction and he gets all offended and his "partner" comes over and gives her an earful too. His "partner" (as the game called it at the time) was a man! About a sim week later, I read in the paper that the male couple had an "extravigant wedding ceremony".

So, not only can WE make gay sims marry, the game does it autonimously sometimes too!
Instructor
#24 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 7:04 PM
Waaay Different from Missouri's laws, don't ya say?

Now that might piss the religious rights off if we found out that the gays can marry in the game.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Test Subject
#25 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 7:42 PM
The first female Sim I made turned out to be gay. I wanted to see how the new Sims would interact when given as much autonomy as possible and she started flirting with other girls straight away! Every time a guy would try and chat her up she would be polite but if they flirted she would start with the red emoticon thingies.

I just let her go with the flow, so to speak and eventually her male housemate (she was created as part of a young couple) devolved into an acquaintance - jealousy when she'd WooHoo with her girlfriends, I guess. Oh... shortly after she became an elder, she ended up marrying an old flame (also an elder) - they made a cute older couple. No kids, natch.
Page 1 of 2