Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 8:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Apartment Life
Default OFB Bakery - Sims won't buy food
(This is my first time in the Discussion so bare with me please.) Okay, My sim makes food for his Bakery and puts it up for sale but sims won't buy the food. Other sims will start to look at the items but then stop to smell the food. I have sims in the bakery constantly smelling all the yummys but they won't buy any of it. Is there any way to get them to quit smelling the food and just buy it?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 10:38 PM
Is the food set for sale? When you click on the tool to change the price or set for sale they should all show up yellow.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is the food set for sale? When you click on the tool to change the price or set for sale they should all show up yellow.
Yes, I made sure it's all set up for sale
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 10:00 AM
My next move would be delete all the food and restock. Also make sure your price is set to cheap or average at most.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 3:28 PM
My next move would be delete all the food and restock. Also make sure your price is set to cheap or average at most.
Everything is set to average and restocked but same result. You'd think if they love the smell so much they'd just buy it.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:06 PM
What is happening with the sales bars over customers' heads? Are sales bars going up or going down as they stare at the goodies? Are the customers getting frustrated, giving the business negative feedback, throwing red customer loyalty stars? How much are your sales people interacting with the salivating customers? Is this happening in all your businesses, or just the bakery? Sorry for all the questions, and some rather obvious ones, but just trying to cover all the bases. I have a few businesses that sell custom baked goods, and they're fun and profitable, but sometimes the owners have to really pitch the product to the customers.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tancred
What is happening with the sales bars over customers' heads? Are sales bars going up or going down as they stare at the goodies? Are the customers getting frustrated, giving the business negative feedback, throwing red customer loyalty stars? How much are your sales people interacting with the salivating customers? Is this happening in all your businesses, or just the bakery? Sorry for all the questions, and some rather obvious ones, but just trying to cover all the bases. I have a few businesses that sell custom baked goods, and they're fun and profitable, but sometimes the owners have to really pitch the product to the customers.
The sales bars seem pretty normal to me. They start to move up as normal then turns blue and cancels and they stop to smell the goodies. Sims are more often than not, successfully using "Basic Sell" every now and then (not so much that customers complain). The customers are still gaining stars but more from smelling the food and having a good ole' time viewing paintings, kick a gnome, and chatting with other customers. Haven't received any complaints from the customers yet. This issue is only going on with the bakery. As the sims are smelling the food little thought bubbles come over their heads with the cake, pie, or other items, that they are smelling.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 9:08 PM
Okay so it isn't the instant type of look,stop glitch. Sometimes shops have a glitch where as soon as a customer starts to view something they stop, it happens so fast a sales person would not even have time to make a basic sell, so it isn't that glitch? I've seen that happen at someone shop due to a conflicting mod and I had it once due to using moveobjects.

What rank is the business? If the business is doing really badly sometimes sims will only buy at very cheap.
Is this happening at any other business? If it's wide spread I would still think it's a mod conflict.
Next thing to try is take all baked goods off sale and place down a basic catalog item and see if they can buy that. If nothing will sell there even on cheap, it could be your lot is glitched.

One more thought, are the shoppers playable with not much money? That is another reason sims won't buy. I tend to get that issue with new hoods and new sims in debt from buying there houses and businesses. They show up just to socialize.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 10:52 PM
Okay so it isn't the instant type of look,stop glitch. Sometimes shops have a glitch where as soon as a customer starts to view something they stop, it happens so fast a sales person would not even have time to make a basic sell, so it isn't that glitch? I've seen that happen at someone shop due to a conflicting mod and I had it once due to using moveobjects.

What rank is the business? If the business is doing really badly sometimes sims will only buy at very cheap.
Is this happening at any other business? If it's wide spread I would still think it's a mod conflict.
Next thing to try is take all baked goods off sale and place down a basic catalog item and see if they can buy that. If nothing will sell there even on cheap, it could be your lot is glitched.

One more thought, are the shoppers playable with not much money? That is another reason sims won't buy. I tend to get that issue with new hoods and new sims in debt from buying there houses and businesses. They show up just to socialize.
Not really using any big mods, mostly simple little things. So nothing should be conflicting but can always check that out. The business is Rank 5 and was doing pretty well until I had the sim bake his own stuff. When the sales bar turns blue and goes away it's normally because the sim has become distracted with something such as a need or another sim interacting. I have catalog items down as well as baked goods. Normal wedding cakes and such and the sim still get distracted by the other smells. The sim that owns the Bakery has about 15k in sim money. Thank you very much for helping btw.
Inventor
#10 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 11:00 PM
This sounds similar to a problem I had not long ago with a home fishing shop. Customers would start looking at wares and the sales bar would pop up, then a second or so later the bar would do a little 'flip and shrink' animation to disappear. No lost stars as when the customer lost interest. Since the shop had worked previously and I hadn't installed any new mods, I tried turning on testingcheats to see what errors might pop up. Turned out a tree had glitched during the last storm, where it should have caught fire but didn't. I don't remember if I hit reset or delete (usually I try reset first). But clicking to reset/delete the error seemed to fix it and the customers immediately went back to buying. Since the issue is only going on with the bakery, you might give testingcheats a try and see if it can point you to anything on the lot that might be interfering.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 12:24 AM
That's the glitch I mentioned above Devon Aster, but it doesn't sound like that is the OP's issue. Turning on testing cheats to see if you get an error though is a good idea.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 1:03 AM
That's the glitch I mentioned above Devon Aster, but it doesn't sound like that is the OP's issue. Turning on testing cheats to see if you get an error though is a good idea.
I normally have "testingcheats" on most of the time since I forget to turn it off. If it makes a difference or not I have very simple stuff on the lot. Does the error box just pop up or do you have to click individual items?
Alchemist
#13 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 2:29 AM
from my understanding, there is a certain object needed for the sale of food. I do not remember that object.
I think it is somewhere in Buy Mode. the description would probably have words similar to "sell" and "food".
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 3:46 AM
All you need is a cash register, but if you mean the chiller cases, you can use those but you don't have to.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#15 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 4:50 AM

Oops. I wasn't certain, so I thought it might be worth a mention.

Quote: Originally posted by Ravenllama
I normally have "testingcheats" on most of the time since I forget to turn it off. If it makes a difference or not I have very simple stuff on the lot. Does the error box just pop up or do you have to click individual items?

It should pop up right away when the error occurs, i.e. the customers starting and stopping their browsing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
Oops. I wasn't certain, so I thought it might be worth a mention.

It should pop up right away when the error occurs, i.e. the customers starting and stopping their browsing.
No errors are popping up but now there is a new problem. The Crazy sims stopped smelling the food and are acting normal but now they walk up to an item, sales bar comes up, they start to shop, My sim does his "basic sale" thing, then after a few "sim-minutes" of them doing that they just cancel and leave the lot. Still haven't got ONE sim to buy anything.(many sims have been to the lot)
There was a sim who's sales bar was full and he was in a good mood but instead of buying it just canceled and he left the lot like all the others.
Also, only one sim has gained a star. The others don't even get close enough to gain or lose a star.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 5:47 PM
I think it's time to troubleshoot the custom content.

Is there anything - anything at all - on this lot that isn't in your other businesses? A custom buyable cake, an employee's hairstyle, a defaulted outfit worn by the owner, anything? Don't shrug and say "that makes no sense" if you spot something - test the lot without it. This is computer code. It's under no obligation to make sense as we understand it. I once had a blouse that crashed the entire game if someone wearing it tried to take a photobooth picture. Computers can't extrapolate like human brians do - if a bit of code gets damaged or misplaced, the program can't compensate for it and chokes in unpredictable ways.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#18 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 8:47 PM
some other possibilities of why the customers are not buying::
-it out of reach
-something/someone blocking the way
-it being used by another sim
-it being something that can't be sold to other sims
that last one is only a guess.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 11:02 PM
I agree with peni, time to test.
Apart from weird cc issues I did mention moveobjects on. One time I had a shop in some woods, but after placing some more trees sims stopped buying. I removed the trees and they started shopping again. It was so weird as these were maxis trees so all I can think was it was using move objects and where I placed a tree. So if you have placed things with move objects remove them all and if that does nothing then back up your game and pull your download folder or if there is certain content for that shop and you have that foldered pull that.

I will also mention I have been watching a Let's Play and this simmer had a lot with a shop where customers would not buy no matter what. It wasn't cc. It was the only shop that wasn't working in the hood and it all started after a fire. The fire drove him down to something like minus 3 stars and even though he closed the shop on the phone and reopend as a new shop it was like his shop was bugged at -3 stars. It showed up on the panel as normal but sims acted like the place was terrible and the cat kept getting this fire symbol in it's thought bubble like something was still on fire. So it's possible for lots to get glitched.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#20 Old 4th Nov 2021 at 4:55 PM Last edited by kufromdanang : 4th Nov 2021 at 5:08 PM.
IT WAS THE PINE TREE NOT BURNING WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE!
I had the same problem with customers stopping browsing things. I read other threads about this issues and have to say thank you for all who shared their solutions.
I did use moveobjects and was trying on a new mod. I first turned on testingcheats but nothing happened. I quit and relaunched the game, loaded the household again, turned on testingcheats and BOOM: it indeed rained and a fire didn’t occur, hence the error. You can see in the pic I attached.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 20th Apr 2024 at 12:58 PM Last edited by VMarcinV : 20th Apr 2024 at 1:33 PM.
I had the same problem with my Sims not buying just watching the items for eternity. In my case the problem started when I manually changed the price of the object. It was a custom bag. When the bag was straight from the catalog and put on the counter and marked yellow for sale with original price everything was fine but when I changed the price from 325 to 500 my Sims stopped buying and the sales bars went up and then down. It wasn't a fire and non of these examples above it was the price. And trust me I did everything including removing the CC, moveobject, testingcheats etc.