Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:36 PM Last edited by Rappunen : 4th Jun 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Default Roof problems
I edited a house, and its roof just disappeared. Actually, all of the roofs in the vicinity of whichever sim I'm playing disappear...
I've tried changing them and saving and quitting and spamming the Home/End and PageUp/PageDown buttons, but all I see is the floor underneath and the triangular walls that come with certain roof types. I can't even use CASt on any roofs! This is driving me compltely bonkers, even though the rest of the game is enjoyable. Does anyone else have this glitch or any solutions?
Thanks in advance~
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:40 AM
I'm having this problem as well, and it is driving me insane! I can not see the roof at all - just the supporting walls.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:29 PM
Hmm. It's just that sim? So it fixes itself if you switch to a different sim?

This sounds like a feature.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:11 PM
Nope... I checked with three families the house that worst suffers from having no roof. No roof, not even in the menu picture! If it's a feature, it's a bloody annoying feature, because I'd like to take photos of the game with roofs on houses.
Test Subject
#5 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 2:10 AM
Same here. No matter what house I go into, no roof. I'm building one and I get the options to do the roof but it will not show in my game.
Test Subject
#6 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:43 PM
I have the SAME issue!!!! I have been searching the net for days trying to find others with the same issue!!! I am happy my game is working fine but to not have a roof and other homes around not have roofs isn't a good thing!!! I was thinking of unistalling and reinstalling cause I KNOW those houses had roofs BEFORE I moved in!!!! Anyone come up with a solution or are you just dealing with not having a roof? If it is a glitch I hope they come out with a patch SOON.
Stupid people are stupid
#7 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 3:49 AM
Just a question. Do the triangular walls that would support the roof show up?
If they do, click the button to go up one level one more time. The roof tiles won't show up before you are totally at the top of the house. Hope this helps.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 5:07 AM
http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...=&p_faqid=22320

It could also be an issue with your graphics settings. What are your system specs?
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...lp:System_Specs

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:20 PM Last edited by cajunspice : 13th Jun 2009 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something!!!
Angel F yes the triangle walls do show up but no roof. You mean I need to hit the up button again? Even before I start the roof fiasco I make sure I am up as far as the floors can go.

Cannodle here are my specs:

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/12/2009, 11:02:05
Machine name: HOME-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530s
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4084MB RAM
Page File: 1724MB used, 6617MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_020D1028&REV_02
Display Memory: 286 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 286 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll
Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1409 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex

Only some of the graphics settings in game are on medium, none on high. I know my crappy onboard graphics would NOT be able to handle that. Oh and I also went to Sims 3 website help (the first link you posted) and I did turn all my settings to low. The other homes in my neighborhoods have roofs that previously didn't but the house my sim lives in still doesn't and it just won't work. I think I will deal with having the stupid flat roof.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#10 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:26 PM
Your chipset hasn't been supported for the Sims franchise for quite some time. At least you can play! That's the good news.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
Your chipset hasn't been supported for the Sims franchise for quite some time. At least you can play! That's the good news.

AND to THINK I just got this PC in December!!! LOL
Ok Canoodle, maybe you can help me upgrade. I have an ATI Visiontek X1550 I bought from my last computer that died before I could use it. I checked my PC's power supply and it is 250 watts. The card says recommended wattage 280 or more. I am scared to install it. Reason being I had a Nvidia 7300GS on the PC that died (motherboard went and pc was close to 3 yrs old). That one recommends 300 wattage or more and I noticed it doesn't say if it works with Vista but anyhow. I really want a better video card but I am scared I may burn this pc out as well.

Anyone can recommend a video card that will allow me to play on high settings based on my power supply. (I have a PCIe slot) Thanks!!!
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#12 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:53 PM
Cajun, check our computer/hardware forum. There's a terrific sticky, written by Calli, on what to look for, how to upgrade, and how to buy a new computer.

Test Subject
#13 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 5:07 PM
Thanks Canoodle. That was very informative!! I didn't know that forum was there!
Test Subject
#14 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:04 AM
My roof doesn't show up either,
I HOPE that a patch is released

I just wana know if this is a bug or not.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:07 PM
Did you read the thread? The solution was posted earlier.