Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 7:14 PM
Default Neighborhood crashing: pink and red flashing
Hello everyone. The thing is that I created a neighborhood, it is almost ready. But during tests the neighborhood crashes. A total of 6 computers were used for testing. On mine and two others everything is more or less, but the game crashes after some time of gameplay. On three others the crash occurred almost instantly, while the sections are lit up red. On my old laptop, which I used for testing, the red light is lit and a runtime error pops up. After applying the graph rules maker, it just crashes. On the main computer, the game also crashes, but not nearly as quickly and without symptoms.

Previously, my computer in this neighborhood had a problem with pink soup, which, it seems, was fixed. There are no signs of corruption, as far as I can tell. When trying to load backups on a weaker laptop, the red flashing goes away, but after a while it crashes with the direct3d d3derr_outofvideomemory error. There was an assumption that the RPS fixes the situation. And so it happened - when installing on an old laptop, the RPS red blinking stopped and instant crashes too. However, the pink soup appeared again.

The neighborhood is decorated, but within reason, there are large areas. I tried to reduce the amount of decor, but it did not help. When entering other neighborhood, no one has problems. Maybe you have encountered something similar and know what exactly the problem is. Should I recreate it or is there something I can fix? Is it the graphics that can't cope and the neighborhood is too heavy? Or did I make a mistake when creating it? There is practically no mods in it. I tried to run it without it, it did not help. I really ask for help. I do not want a year of work to go to waste. I am ready to give the neighborhood file if it helps solve the problem...
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 8:01 PM
Usually related to a bad setup, even with the GraphicRulesMaker. Red-flashing often indicates an issue with the graphic card or outdated drivers for it.

* Can you post your computer specs (preferably for the one(s) you're planning to play the game with), plus a picture of your current settings in the Graphic Rules Maker? Game version (Origin UC/Mac SC/discs/other) is also useful to know, as some can have install issues.

* Can you post the "[computername]-config-log.txt" file from the Logs folder? This one has some info on whether the setup is correct, and whether the game is properly reading it.

* Have you done the 4GB patch on the EXE file?
* Have you tried the Memory Allocation Fix?
(instructions here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 )

* Have you added your graphic card to the Video Card text file? (Same location as GraphicRules).
* Have you made sure the GraphicRules file is actually switched out with the new one? (if the game is installed in ProgramFiles, Windows write-protects the files, and you need admin access to change them). Check the date.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Usually related to a bad setup, even with the GraphicRulesMaker. Red-flashing often indicates an issue with the graphic card or outdated drivers for it.

* Can you post your computer specs (preferably for the one(s) you're planning to play the game with), plus a picture of your current settings in the Graphic Rules Maker? Game version (Origin UC/Mac SC/discs/other) is also useful to know, as some can have install issues.

* Can you post the "[computername]-config-log.txt" file from the Logs folder? This one has some info on whether the setup is correct, and whether the game is properly reading it.

* Have you done the 4GB patch on the EXE file?
* Have you tried the Memory Allocation Fix?
(instructions here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 )

* Have you added your graphic card to the Video Card text file? (Same location as GraphicRules).
* Have you made sure the GraphicRules file is actually switched out with the new one? (if the game is installed in ProgramFiles, Windows write-protects the files, and you need admin access to change them). Check the date.

1. Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 MHz, Cores: 6. Logical processors: 12
Windows 10
(RAM) 16.0 GB
motherboard B450M DS3H V2

2. I can’t say for sure, but I remember that I tried everything that was recommended in the attached video.

3/4. honestly I'm not sure I did it

What worries me most is that the neighborhood does not work normally on other computers, I was planning to give it for download. my own game in the neighborhood doesn't bother me so much...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-T0LKKHL-config-log.txt (10.6 KB, 3 downloads)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 10:42 PM
Is the Config-log file from one of the computers you're having issues for? It's listing "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti" as the graphic card, not the AMD one.

The Config-log lists the information from the last run game (on the last run computer), so to get accurate information from it, you should to run the game on whichever computer you're trying to solve the issue for, and post that file. Could get a bit confusing otherwise.

The six computers - are other people testing for you? In that case, are you sure they aren't having problems with pink-flashing or crashing issues in their games (apart from testing the hood)?

It does seem people have more issues issues with some newer AMD cards than Nvidia ones (the newer Nvidia ones tend to get into line with a bit of not-so-gentle prodding, but they too can be a bit of a pain), so you may want to check into that. Updating the card drivers via the vendor could be needed, too. If you have recently updated the card drivers, or Windows did it via an auto update, they may need to be rolled back to a previous restore point (Windows updating the drivers is sometimes a bad thing, and could be linked to the red-flashing).

Are you using the DXVK? It does work to reduce pink/crashing for some people, but for me it only caused more crashing, which went away when I removed it. If you are using it, do a test without.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 11:19 PM
Is the Config-log file from one of the computers you're having issues for? It's listing "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti" as the graphic card, not the AMD one.

The Config-log lists the information from the last run game (on the last run computer), so to get accurate information from it, you should to run the game on whichever computer you're trying to solve the issue for, and post that file. Could get a bit confusing otherwise.

The six computers - are other people testing for you? In that case, are you sure they aren't having problems with pink-flashing or crashing issues in their games (apart from testing the hood)?

It does seem people have more issues issues with some newer AMD cards than Nvidia ones (the newer Nvidia ones tend to get into line with a bit of not-so-gentle prodding, but they too can be a bit of a pain), so you may want to check into that. Updating the card drivers via the vendor could be needed, too. If you have recently updated the card drivers, or Windows did it via an auto update, they may need to be rolled back to a previous restore point (Windows updating the drivers is sometimes a bad thing, and could be linked to the red-flashing).

Are you using the DXVK? It does work to reduce pink/crashing for some people, but for me it only caused more crashing, which went away when I removed it. If you are using it, do a test without.

That's right, I have an AMD processor, and a video card NVIDIA GeForce. Yes, this is the computer on which I created the hood and on which I am trying to solve the problem. 4 other people and two of mine (computer + laptop). For those who did not have RPS installed, the game crashed immediately upon entering the hood and there was a red flashing (In other hoods the game works fine for them). For those who had RPS installed, the hood did not crash on the first launch, but the pink soup problem remained (with longer gameplay the game crashed). RPS was not installed on my laptop, the hood also flashed red and crashed. After installation, pink soup, but the hood functioned. I use DXVK, yes. Initially, I did not encounter the problem of red blinking, this only happened to other players and on my old laptop.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 12:00 AM
For other people, the problems could be other things (setups being different), so you may want to concentrate on your own setup(s) to see if there's anything going on with your setup - and when that's fine, what's going on with the hood itself.

A hood could be dependent of EPs/SPs, game configuration (Store version, for instance), small differences between CD version and UC version, and how they run could be dependent on all sorts of differences between people's computers and their game setup. Could be a piece of CC that's causing issues, or a missing mod that goes with the CC ("better nightlife" mod for some hood deco, for instance).

Did you share a copy of the hood after you had issues with pink/red flashing? If so, it's possible the pink/red flashing "saved" as cache info, but if the lots are visited or the cache is properly cleared in other ways, it goes away - at least for other simmers who don't have issues with it normally.

The RPS has better lot imposters - maybe that's one of the issues for those who don't have it installed? I'd think the red-flashing is tied to some graphic difference between the non-RPS and RPS games, and that one does seem likely.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 12:40 AM
For other people, the problems could be other things (setups being different), so you may want to concentrate on your own setup(s) to see if there's anything going on with your setup - and when that's fine, what's going on with the hood itself.

A hood could be dependent of EPs/SPs, game configuration (Store version, for instance), small differences between CD version and UC version, and how they run could be dependent on all sorts of differences between people's computers and their game setup. Could be a piece of CC that's causing issues, or a missing mod that goes with the CC ("better nightlife" mod for some hood deco, for instance).

Did you share a copy of the hood after you had issues with pink/red flashing? If so, it's possible the pink/red flashing "saved" as cache info, but if the lots are visited or the cache is properly cleared in other ways, it goes away - at least for other simmers who don't have issues with it normally.

The RPS has better lot imposters - maybe that's one of the issues for those who don't have it installed? I'd think the red-flashing is tied to some graphic difference between the non-RPS and RPS games, and that one does seem likely.

can you please tell me what i can do now to prevent problems for others? i share a copy of the hood after. is there any way to clean this up? remove dxvk? sorry, i'm just desperate...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 12:57 AM
Would try to at least temporarily remove dxvk and see if that helps in your game - especially if you've had issues with pink flashing or crashing other than in this neighborhood while having it installed.

I think you first need to figure out why the hood is causing issues on your computer(s) before you can figure out why other people are having issues with it.