Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2024 at 5:26 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Late Night, Supernatural
Default Making in-game items show up in CAW
Hi there!

I've been reading through the forums and I'm finding it incredibly confusing when it comes to modding CAW to allow certain in game objects to show up in the CAW catalog. I have read this thread plenty of times and it's just not clicking for me. I'm not sure exactly where the files are to then extract them into S3PE, and I don't have the "GameData" folder in my sims 3 folder like the aforementioned thread suggested.

My questions are:
1. Is an OBJD file what we call files that refer to in-game objects? i.e. a staircase, or a chair. If not then what does it mean.
2. What do "flags" mean in the context of this? Are these things you can add to your world in CAW?
3. Do you have to import one in-game item at a time?
4. (Bonus question) what's the best way to alter fog emitters placed into CAW? Do I have to edit in game?

Sorry for the jumbled mess of questions, thanks for any responses in advance!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2024 at 9:07 AM
It might help to have a look at some tutorials for S3PE to better understand what this tool can do and how it works.

When you open a file in .package format in S3PE you will find many resources in there, which describe the properties of the item. Each of them have a name (most of the time, not always), a tag which describes what information the resource contains, and several IDs.
Most of the resources can be ignored for our purposes. The resources that will tell you what type of game item you look at are those tagged as
OBJD - this is an object, like a table, or in my example, a rug
CASP - this is a cas item, e.g. a shirt or hair
CFEN - fence
CSTR - stairs
CWAL - wall or floor
PTRN - pattern
and a few more.

For CAW the only type of item you should work with are those tagged as OBJD - full objects. Modular objects like in-game fences or stairs don't work in CAW. You can open and edit a OBJD-resource by clicking on the Grid button at the bottom of the window. A new window will open showing plenty of grouped properties which you then can edit. For example, in the group "Common Block" you'll see an entry IsVisibleInWorldBuilder. This entry has different options, it can be set (= flagged) True or False. So you'd have to set this to True to make the object visible in CAW (there are a few more steps to this which are described in the tutorial so I omit them here).

Now, for your 3rd question: first task is to find your game files in your installation folder. From there you can extract individual objects (using s3oc). NEVER edit your game files directly with s3pe! You can break your game with this! But you can extract/export individual objects (and yes, that is a one-by-one process), edit those and throw them in your mods folder. This way, if you make a mistake, you simply remove them and no harm is done.

And I don't understand your 4th question, sorry. What do you want to edit about fog emitters? Do you mean spawners?
Screenshots