Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 3:24 AM
It's Your City Now
Hi guys, so I saw a challenge called the city building challenge. I didn't click on it, just saw it so I thought I would try to create a challenge based on the title.

What is this Challenge?
This Challenge is a fun challenge that requires a long time to successfully complete. I did a test run of this starting a few weeks ago and it took me around five to seven generations. in this Challenge, you will be building your city from the ground up.

Step One: The backstory
Your sims life has been boring lately. On just another boring trip to the library, you find a genealogy book. You carefully blow the dust of it's cover. Opening the book, you look for your last name, finding that your Great Grandfather owned a town and it was passed down to you. you are given the key by the town hall. You and your fiancé head to the town just to see it is boring and you need to rebuild it.
The Start
1-In the beginning, don't create your sim strait away, go to Edit town mode and delete all the lots. You may leave the city hall, school, and grocery store. you may also choose to make your own by placing the venue in the basement of a building you created. The next thing you need to do is place a park with a small gazebo in it. Make sure you landscape it nicely.
2- Now you can create a farmer family with two kids. Biuld the home close to the supermarket because they work there. Quickly go into that families home and employ the parents in the supermarket. Go back into edit town mode. Do the same thing with another family except employ them in the political career.
3- Now, create your sims and their fiancé. Have fun with this. Build a house in town center. You amy use the motherlode cheat to buy the city hall, the school, and the grocery store. Set family funds to 100.
The town grows
The town must grow! To grow the town, you must build houses. First, you must go into edit town mode and furnish the house with your own money(kind of...). When you enter the edit lot, your money will show up where it normally would but anything spent will not effect the money. you may not go over the budget of the household funds. Use the familyfunds to subtract the amount of money you spent on the lot. After that...
1- chose to wait or move a family in immediately.
1A- choosing to wait will allow you to use kaching for the number of weeks waited. e.g.- 6 weeks = 6 katchings.
1B- This will bring you no extra money in, just if you need the population to increase quickly.
2- Move in a family. The type of house you built should effect the traits and size of the family. e.g.- a pink house could be occupied by a bunch of really 'dumb blonde' stereo type characters. You may use cheats to raise the money for the newly built family to move them into the house.
3- get to know the family.
Your life can grow too!
Your life can grow too! When the town reaches a total household number of 5 (including the first two families and you so you only need to place in two new families) you can build a wedding venue in the park with the gazebo. Then, you can get the two married. NOT BEFORE! Expand your house if you have extra cash!
You can have a child as soon as you are married. You may have as many as you like but no mods!
Generation one rules
1- follow the story outline
2- you must buy all community lots before you can build on them.
3- you can only make money from skill building careers. If you have ambitions installed, self-employ yourself.
4- The town is a new place! Don't exceed nine households and seven community lots.
5- The genie (Showtime) isn't considered a cheat so you can use the genie to wish for fortune but only once per generation.
6- Start the next generation as soon as the first born ages up to a young adult. If twins of triplets, chose the one you named first.
7- if any families move into the town by story progression, move them out.

Step Two: things get crazy
Have the heir marry in the venue and have the heir move into a home in the downtown area. Make it large. You cannot buy any new lots until you do this. You may work on the spouse when you are a teen.
This will focus on building bigger houses, clubs, and apartments. (Late Night is Recommended for this. You can also use Supernatural clubs if you have that)
1- build a small apartment building in the city area. have NPC's move in.
2- check to call box to check how many people are living in the apartment. When seven people move in you can build a club.
3- you can build a new appartment when you have three clubs built.
4- You may add in three new houses around the suburb area during this stage.
Stage Two Rules
3- you can only make money from skill building careers. If you have ambitions installed, self-employ yourself.
4- The town is city centered! No houses other than suburban and apartments may be built.
5- The genie (Showtime) isn't considered a cheat so you can use the genie to wish for fortune but only once per generation.
6- Start the next stage as soon as this one is done.
8- Do not exceed 9 clubs.
10- google how to build the apartments and clubs if you are not sure.
[/B]This stage ends when you have 30 NPC's in the apartments. after this stage, the NPCs arn't counted into the poplulation and you cannot build anymore bars or apparment, only edit them

[B]Stage Three: the gaps

Your town is booming now. YAY FOR YOU! The only things missing are the leisure lots...
Leisure Lote Guild
1- Build a cofeehouse and bookstore strait away.
2- Build a gym two weeks later
3- at household funds 300,000 you can build a library, a science work place, and a bistro.
4- add in the one every two houses you place after that.
5- It ends when all the rabit holes are placed.
Stage Three Rules
4- The town is getting better! Don't add in houses under 10,000
6- Start the next stage as soon as this one is done.

Final Stage
Fill in the all the un used lots with houses and community lots. Add in what ever lots are available with expansion packs. Make sure no clubs or longed though, that was stage two. If you have ambitions, have the salon etc. Add in art galleries museums and shops just for decor. Be creative! The challenge ends when the town is full.
General Rules
1- add up the end money, the population, and multiply the number of generations it took by 100, then add them all together to get the points. e.g.- 300,098+70-(11x10)= 300,058. How many points do you have?
2- No cheats are allowed except building cheats, resetsim, and money cheats only when told to use.
3- Have fun!
4- Each Generation, you must marry in the wedding venue.
5-The genie (Showtime) isn't considered a cheat so you can use the genie to wish for fortune but only once per generation.
6- No mods are allowed. Mods that increase the household size are fine but nothing that will majorly change the game.
6- You are the King( or queen) of your town. so you have control!
Post any questions you may have in the comments! I hope you guys like it! Is it anything like what the original is like?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 3:28 PM
No one?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 10:11 PM
well you did well on making it look nice but there is on problem it is very similar to another challenge:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468464
the nothing is free challenge, except that one is actually more difficult and people have put alot of work into the actual challenge....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2013 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
well you did well on making it look nice but there is on problem it is very similar to another challenge:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468464
the nothing is free challenge, except that one is actually more difficult and people have put alot of work into the actual challenge....

Alright, thanks for letting me know.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Jan 2013 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ceewah
Alright, thanks for letting me know.
no problem
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 2:43 AM
To make this more fun, you can start up an unlocking chain. Founders and Heirs can complete challenges to unlock certain lots like the equestrian center could be started up by a sims with three horses, level ten riding skill and one horse maxed out of racing and/or jumping skills.
The sim traits could be daredevil, equestrian/animal lover, and three others of your choice but not coward or dog/cal lover.
Heirs that want to set up a business could be as follows
Example- diner/bistro
Sim traits- Natural born salesman, natural cook, and daredevil
Other requirements- Born to cook LTR, two cooking opportunities done, level 10 cooking skill and owns a cafe lot/ owns a coffee house.

For businesses like the journalism, you could have traits corresponding, certain lots around town, and workaholic trait. Also requirements like the number of books written could be a requirement. you could also have corresponding lots. If you want me to make a list of all my requirements, comment so.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 2:45 AM
ATTENTION!!! If you turn on the testingcheatsenabled true cheat, shift+click on the ground to get the build on this lot. The funds come out of HHF! You can do this to edit lots instead of buying them first!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 2:50 PM
Bumping it!
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:32 AM
I'm really excited to do this. I haven't seen any challenge I liked so far. way to go
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Death Of Life
I'm really excited to do this. I haven't seen any challenge I liked so far. way to go

Thanks! I was starting to think that no one would try this. Just tell me if you want a community lots unlocking requirements!
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Feb 2013 at 12:42 AM
If you used testing cheats enabled, shift click the lot, and "build or buy", you'll funds will be affected. Just turn it off after.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Feb 2013 at 9:27 PM
I know. The point IS that you have to pay for everything out of your own pocket. PS- I got WORLD ADVENTURES SO I WILL UPDATE WHEN I FIND A COOL ADDITION TO ADD!