Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:51 AM Last edited by MusicalSim : 15th Jun 2009 at 3:38 PM. Reason: May have found a solution to the problem

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations
Default Where has the game sound gone....possible answer
The radios and music centres in my game have all stopped playing and even testing the music files from the options menu no longer works. There seems to be a lot of talk about this on various forums when I google searched the problem. One person deleted his computers audio files and re-installed and it solved the problem.

I am sure this is a game bug and not a computer audio problem, so has anybody had a similar thing happen in their game and have a solution. Thanks.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:11 AM
I was just about to post the same issue until I saw this thread. What has happened is that I placed new music in the custom music folder under documents and thats when it started to happen, I tried various things, like deleting the music that is already present in the custom music folder and nothing. I even tried to place new music in the program files/custom music folder and I still cannot get the games music working, I then reverted back to default and yet nothing...

I bet it has to do with a cash file, but I'm not sure which one.

Also I was able to procure Desperate housewives theme music from my moms computer as it sounds very close to Sims music.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:24 AM
You guys aren't the only ones. I have the same problem. It seems to be a nasty little bug that is striking scads of people. This one will need a patch..unless someone figures out what the problem is and has a work-around.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 2:53 PM Last edited by CrazyAce : 15th Jun 2009 at 3:35 PM.
I think i might have a temp cure.

1st DON"T DELETE any custom music that EA puts in there by defualt, this goes for both in the program files and in the documents folders, it will also cause the game to loose its in game music.

2nd don't put any custom music into the custom music folders, (again in program files and documents) until EA figures out a permanent cure to a patch.

In other words leave the custom music folder alone and as it was by defualt install...

To get the Sims music back for us that have this problem, what I did was restart my computer (so there are hidden temp cache files somewhere on the hard drives), then start a new game and create a new Sim. The music should be playing, it worked for me and thus far I have my music back in game.

:edit:

Uh hu... Nevermind, I guess what I experienced was nothing more than a temporary glitch that worked until I went into buy mode, then the music just muted again... I guess we just have to wait until a real fix is given.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 3:36 PM
Many thanks Canoodle for your post and to CrazyAce for helping to sort this problem. I had not tried to to put my own music into the custom music folders, the sound just disappeared one day while I was playing a neighbourhood. I lost all sound for "buy" and "build" modes including the radios and music centres.

I tried your suggestion CrazyAce to start a new family and chose a new game using an existing family in Riverview. Sure enough the radio etc all played as normal.

I then went to a family I play in Sunset Valley and there was still no sound there, so I chose to play a new game in sunset Valley using one of the existing families and the sound has returned back in that neighbourhood too. I am so glad I waited and did not re-install the game.

Many thanks and very much appreciated. I hope others with the same problem find this post and I hope it works for them too until a patch is available.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 4:55 PM
Yes..it's temporary. It's a known problem. Hopefully someone will fix it. :/

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Scholar
#7 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 10:41 AM
This bug effects the buy mode/build mode music too right? I was thinking bout posting the problem but I saw this thread. My music in buy mode/build mode and stereo cant be heard :[
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:57 PM
Yes. It's basically a wide sweeping bug that affects all the music in game. It seems to act differently for everyone and it is intermittent.

Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 8:43 PM
Ok i thought this was just me, im glad i looked it up. even when i try to demo the songs in the options menu they don't play, or any music for buy and build mode etc.

The new patch put out did nothing to fix it, did it fix anyone else's problem?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 3:28 AM
Not that I can see, just still the same issue arises with other people, hopefully on the next patch release.
Test Subject
#11 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 8:42 PM
The patch didn't fix the audio problem for me, too. I have the "random freeze that forces me to restart my PC" bug as well and it didn't do anything for that either.

Thanks for the "go into CAS" temp workaround, though. A few minutes of my sims actually dancing to some music is better than none :D