Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2024 at 10:59 PM Last edited by makiura : 26th Jul 2024 at 9:07 AM.
Default [SOLVED]Need help making recolorable sunglasses
Hello! I'm can't seem to get my glasses to be recolorable and transparent; it's either one or the other. I tried following this tutorial , but I got lost on the mesh material values since I don't see them in TSRW. I attached the file and some pics below. The transparent one is me replacing the mesh of Esmeralda's glasses with my own; the transparency works until I replace the multiplier texture. The opaque one is me starting a completely new project. Can someone please guide me through this?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  recolorable sunglasses.rar (281.1 KB, 3 downloads)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 26th Jul 2024 at 2:20 AM
I'm not familiar enough with it to give a step by step on the process as a whole, but at least one issue I can spy is that Esmeralda's glasses all have the lens in Group_0 and the frame in Group_1 while your mesh has them the other way around. This will mean that the materials are being inherited on the wrong part when you're importing your mesh.

The material settings are found here:

Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2024 at 5:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
I'm not familiar enough with it to give a step by step on the process as a whole, but at least one issue I can spy is that Esmeralda's glasses all have the lens in Group_0 and the frame in Group_1 while your mesh has them the other way around. This will mean that the materials are being inherited on the wrong part when you're importing your mesh.

The material settings are found here:

I tried switching the groups and importing them into Esmeralda's glasses, but I still encountered the same issue after changing the multiplier. But thank you for the suggestion!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jul 2024 at 9:14 AM Last edited by makiura : 26th Jul 2024 at 9:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by makiura
Hello! I'm can't seem to get my glasses to be recolorable and transparent; it's either one or the other. I tried following this tutorial , but I got lost on the mesh material values since I don't see them in TSRW. I attached the file and some pics below. The transparent one is me replacing the mesh of Esmeralda's glasses with my own; the transparency works until I replace the multiplier texture. The opaque one is me starting a completely new project. Can someone please guide me through this?

I finally "figured it out," but I didn't learn anything from it and I don't really recommend this method. Because Esmeralda's glasses worked so well, I decided to just export their lens mesh and edit it in blender. I turned the rectangles into circles and BAM, now I have working recolorable glasses!
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#5 Old 26th Jul 2024 at 2:17 PM
I'm glad you at least found a workaround!

I noticed that neither of the existing examples of recolourable glasses were made with TSRW, so it's possible there could be an issue with how that tool inherits shaders on new mesh imports. The shader options are greyed out for accessories too, which would prevent you from making the effect from scratch (the only difference that makes it recolourable is that the lens mesh uses the SimHair shader instead of SimGlass).
I will look into some alternate methods and report back if I figure out what's up with it.