Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 7:49 AM Last edited by peepeevs : 21st Jun 2024 at 2:28 PM.
Lots of issues creating world the way I want to. Need help! (Delete lot, add bigger lot, loading in game)
So, I have been at this for days trying to work this one out on my own trying to do everything I can, but I think it's just time for me to bite the bullet and just admit I am in need of help here.
I have been trying to work with the CAW tool trying to edit a world that was installed with the Sims 3 downloadable content (Sunlit Tides, one of the EA created worlds). Now I don't have a whole lot of experience with this tool admittedly and it is honestly not very user friendly. I felt I could get away with trying to just do something relatively simple, but apparantly even that is too difficult.

Sorry for the wall of text. TL;DR is:
1. I can't figure out how to delete a lot in CAW
2. I can't figure out how to add a lotsize larger than 64x64
3. I may not have the proper version of CAW, but I don't know how to get my hands on a more proper version

What I have been meaning to do is this: I wanted to make a really nice big home on the top of the mountain. This would mean I would have to get rid of the lot already there (it's just some public park lot or something; not very important anyway), flatten out the mountain surface and expand this surface somewhat, and then place a new bigger lot over there.

Now I have figured out how to open the world in CAW as according to this thread , so that has not been too difficult. However, naive me thought it would be pretty easy to delete a lot in CAW, but this just seems impossible. I can find the lot in the recources, and delete it, but that stil leaves the actual lot (the plot of land designated as a lot) behind. This is an issue since I can't edit the surrounding area properly if there is a lot that operates on its own settings of height and such. I have tried to edit it by clicking the " Edit in Game" option since you can easily delete lots that way, but for some reason the world will not load in-game. The default worlds provided by the sims 3 CAW seem to load in this way just fine though.
I realise that part of the reason may be that it is not an unpopulated world, like most CAW threads seem to suggest you use. Most of the threads pertaining to this however seem to suggest that this is an issue when you try and delete a populated lot, which I believe a community lot like the one I'm trying to get rid of, is not. Also, given that the thread I linked to is talking about downloaded worlds, I assumed that these worlds would be populated anyway.

I actually also have a second issue that I can't seem to solve: I would like to be able to add a lot in its place that is bigger than the 64x64 that the game provides as the biggest lot. I see 2 ways for this; either I add the lot through the CAW, or I try and make use of the a mod to add my desired lotsize to the "edit own" options. For the second one, I have obviously been trying to make use of velocitygrass's mod , but it has not been working for me correctly it seems. It is not that the mod doesn't work at all, since I was able to add one lotsize through the cheatcode (I forget the exact parameters, but it was 32x32-ish or something), but many other lotsizes I tried seem to give no response. I figured that it may be due to the fact that I can only go so far with how big I can make a lot, but it does not seem to work with most smaller lotsizes either.

Lasty, I would like say that it is possible that it does not work properly for me due to the fact I was not able to download CAW directly from the EA site, and I am not entirely sure I'm using the correct version of the tool. When I try to download it from there, i just get a blank pop-up, and no further responses. I tried finding another option to download, but most of threads related to this topic have links that no longer work, so I'm left a little lost here as well. If someone knows where I can download a proper version, I would appriciate it (game version is 1.67 btw)

Sorry for the long text, but I wanted to give a good breakdown of all I have tried and done so far. I really hope somebody can help me out here, because this is as far as I can go on my own I'm afraid.

Thanks for reading
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Jun 2024 at 1:11 AM
The blank popup seems to be a broken prompt to log in, if you register or log into an existing EA account the official CAW download should still work

I believe 64x64 is a hard limit for the largest lot size. As noted in Velocitygrass' mod description, This script mod will allow you to add any size (from 1x1 to 64x64) to the World Editor from the cheat console.

Hopefully someone more savvy with CAW itself can answer the first part!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2024 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
The blank popup seems to be a broken prompt to log in, if you register or log into an existing EA account the official CAW download should still work

I believe 64x64 is a hard limit for the largest lot size. As noted in Velocitygrass' mod description, This script mod will allow you to add any size (from 1x1 to 64x64) to the World Editor from the cheat console.

Hopefully someone more savvy with CAW itself can answer the first part!

Thanks for the reply. I'll give the log in a try. And I found out after writing this post that you're right about the lotsize thing. I can live without that one though.

But yeah, my first question is the big issue for me. I had no idea just deleting a lot would be so complicated.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Jun 2024 at 10:17 AM
Hi, the CAW tool can be downloaded by a direct link from EA without login.
If your gameversion is 1.67:
http://lvlt.thesims3.com//content/g...w/worldtool.exe

If your gameversion is 1.69:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Hi, the CAW tool can be downloaded by a direct link from EA without login.
If your gameversion is 1.67:

If your gameversion is 1.69:

Thank you. I will try and see if I get any further with this, but I'm still not sure how to delete a lot.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 8:24 AM
What have you tried to delete a lot? I'm not sure how the lot remains after you delete it. Are we talking about CAW? Or Edit in Town in the game itself? And maybe a screenshot would help of the lot and the surrounding area.

There are two ways:

1) Find the lot in the Layers Panel, and click on it. The edges of the lot will highlight green if it is selected properly. Then right click on the entry in the layers panel and chose delete.

2) The second option is to click on the lot in the Render Panel, the edges will highlight green if it is selected properly. Then hit the "Del" key on your keybord.

Both methods will delete the lot and everything on it, also any additional lot information like a set address or a Beautiful Vista value.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 11:53 AM Last edited by peepeevs : 21st Jun 2024 at 2:28 PM. Reason: It's solved
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
What have you tried to delete a lot? I'm not sure how the lot remains after you delete it. Are we talking about CAW? Or Edit in Town in the game itself? And maybe a screenshot would help of the lot and the surrounding area.

There are two ways:

1) Find the lot in the Layers Panel, and click on it. The edges of the lot will highlight green if it is selected properly. Then right click on the entry in the layers panel and chose delete.

2) The second option is to click on the lot in the Render Panel, the edges will highlight green if it is selected properly. Then hit the "Del" key on your keybord.

Both methods will delete the lot and everything on it, also any additional lot information like a set address or a Beautiful Vista value.

Omg, I can't believe I have been so stupid as to not just try to press the delete key. I have been trying to find the resource and delete that, I have been trying to go into Edit Town and delete it that way.. And you're telling me all this time it was just as simple as " click on lot and press delete key"

Thank you guys all fo the help. Hope I didn't waste too much of your time being so dumb..One little note I want to make is that since installing the new version that Simsample sent me, I have been unable to use the Edit Town function from CAW at all. The other version only failed with the town I was trying to edit, but worked fine with default townsmaps provided by CAW. I'm not sure that this will matter though. (Btw, did re-ckeck my version jic, and it was indeed 1.67, so I did install the correct version of CAW).

I will keep this thread alive for a bit longer until I can confirm that I have succesfully made the new world work in-game. I haven't tried this final step yet, and I don't want to have to start another thread in case it proves troubesome. Will edit the thread as soon as it's confirmed.

EDIT: Yes, it seems to have worked. Got the new world to work, and it seems all fine. Thank you guys for all the help!