Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 5:59 AM
Default My game is running slow.... What shall I do?
My game is running slow and I just hate it now. Before it used to take only 20 seconds max to open a household. Now it can take more than 1 minute. And yesterday when I had my sims change looks in the mirror it could take 1 minute!!!
It used to take very little time. I was looking at my downloads folder yesterday (an untidy mess) and it was 1,47 GB. Is that much?
And I also noticed that after I added both Bluewater and Downtown to Pleasantview (which I'm playing right now) it started to run slow. I don't really need Bluewater that much (I just wanted Malcolm Landgraab and a house into my game). If I delete Bluewater Village will the Bluewater townies be deleted totally from my game?

I've also thought about another thing to do- delete all townies. How can I delete all townies (Pleasantview, downtown and Bluewater ones). I could rather create 10-30 new townies with the townie generator.
Can deleting all the townies be dangerous for my game? And will they be totally deleted from SimPE too. I hope there won't be all those useless ghostfiles of the townies even if they are deleted.

Please give me some advice!
Advertisement
#2 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 6:46 AM
Do you have a lot of downloads? Too many downloads can slow your game. Or maybe you're running out of memory.
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 6:51 AM
I believe the amount of EPs and Stuffpacks also effect the speed of the game. More things to load up.
Inventor
#4 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:10 AM
1,5 gig of Dloads isn't that incredibly much I'd say. But it does depend on the specs of your comp, of course. And yes adding EP neighbourhoods does slow the game down (Just think about all the extra information your game needs to load.)

If I were you I'd clean up my comp, do a good run with HitmanPro (or some other spyware scanner stuff.) Clean out your log files, defragmentation of your harddrives etc.

For me gamespeed really improved when I installed the game on my 2nd HDrive instead of on the C: drive. (Where I run all my other programs.)

A lot depends on your Graphics-card memory too. If it is one with a shared memory; expect it to be slow. I will not play with anything that has less than 256RAM of its own.
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormy
Do you have a lot of downloads? Too many downloads can slow your game. Or maybe you're running out of memory.

I don't know what will be considered many. I have some lot downloads and some (I don't know exactly how many) hair/clothes/eye/makeup things. I don't have any hacks.....
And I nearly always download whole sims with clothes, makeup and hair included.

Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
I believe the amount of EPs and Stuffpacks also effect the speed of the game. More things to load up.

But I've had my game go faster when I had all the expansion packs I have now. I have all the expansion packs and one stuff pack.

and Appel, I don't know exactly how big my computer is but I know it is 3 Gigs and it's under a year old. It's also designed for computer games......
#6 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:30 AM
Have you installed or downloaded anything else that's not sims related? Maybe it's taking up a lot of RAM.
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormy
Have you installed or downloaded anything else that's not sims related? Maybe it's taking up a lot of RAM.

I don't remember. I haven't done it lately though.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:32 AM
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 7:48 AM
Slow loading time is primarily impacted by sheer volume of custom content. This includes loading the game as well as loading lots and Create a Sim.

Slow performance while actually playing (slow frame rates, difficulty scrolling/zooming) is primarily impacted by your computer itself - your RAM, video card, hard drive speed, processor, and, to some degree, the amount of EPs and stuff packs you have installed.

An easy test to see whether it's your computer or your user files: rename your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ folder to "The Sims 2 Backup"

Then start the game. It will take a long time to load the first time - once it loads to the neighborhood screen, close the game again. Then restart it and see how long it takes and what your performance is on a lot. If you're getting good performance without user files, it's likely due to bogging down of neighborhoods and having too much custom content and you'll need to clear some of that stuff out.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 9:23 AM
I finally got hold off a supported graphics card (A Raedon 9600 Pro), and upgraded to my RAM to 1GIG and its made a huge difference, the Game, Lots and Catalogs load up so fast now that it isn't funny.

Even though, mine game runs great with all graphics options on Highest, I still like to keep them on a minimum, probably cause ive always been used to it, I don't care about the Shadows so I turn them off but must have the Object Detail and Effects on Highest otherwise things look rubbish, and don't bother going any further than Medium for the lot views.

But yeah the more EPs and Stuff packs does slow down performance, if your not happy how your game runs ATM then no good buying Seasons, or Bon Voyage, or any releases upwards, upgrade your Computer if theres enough slots in your motherboard and your powersupply can handle the extra load, mines full now, ill now need a new computer if I want more RAM, and extras.
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 11:22 AM
Then start the game. It will take a long time to load the first time - once it loads to the neighborhood screen, close the game again. Then restart it and see how long it takes and what your performance is on a lot. If you're getting good performance without user files, it's likely due to bogging down of neighborhoods and having too much custom content and you'll need to clear some of that stuff out.

but.... Will the game create new everything? New, unused neighborhoods etc? How shall I get back the old ones?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#12 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 11:52 AM
Yes, it will recreate everything anew. That's why it takes so long the first time. You'll need some extra space for this. Then when you restart it the second time you can get an accurate picture of what the game will start like without your regular stuff.

To get back your old stuff, you delete the new "The Sims 2" folder it'll have regenerated and rename your old one from "The Sims 2 Backup" back to "The Sims 2"

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 1:17 PM
I remember back when I bought my graphics card and came home to play the sims after installing it. It was like a whole new world. It loaded a fraction of a second quicker and I got to see the cut scenes that I'd never before experienced. Prior to the new graphics card I hadn't ever seen the cut scene for when they had their first kiss. And I remembered thinking, "Well it was in the videos on the EA site. This sucks!" I felt really jipped.

I also hadn't ever seen the cut scene where two sims woohoo each other for the first time in their relationship. Or when a new baby is born.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 1:41 PM
I certainly do agree the Ciminates or Cut Scenes are amazing, I like it when you gradulate from University, the Uni-hats fly everywhere, I used to one how people filmed all those but it was actally the Cimnatics. or I cant spell it but you know what I mean.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 2:07 PM
I updated my system using the monthly update and got more RAM, and now in my nhood I can see rainbows and waves and clouds, and it doesn't go slow, my game also runs faster, and I can play in some lots that I never dreamed of playing before.

Ah a Biscuit! It all makes sense
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Yes, it will recreate everything anew. That's why it takes so long the first time. You'll need some extra space for this. Then when you restart it the second time you can get an accurate picture of what the game will start like without your regular stuff.

To get back your old stuff, you delete the new "The Sims 2" folder it'll have regenerated and rename your old one from "The Sims 2 Backup" back to "The Sims 2"

thanks a lot!
But I re-installed my game around 5-6 months ago and I remember that it took so fast to start the game without any custom content. So it's probably the amount of custom content. I have a lot of "unnecessary" unusable stuff with only pics of maxis clothes in my "create a family". How could I remove it very fast without being in there or in bodyshop where it takes forever???
I don't dare to go into my downloads folder and delete usable stuff.

I think I would run a virus scan and spybot because my computer is just fine. I have the animations, I can see rainbows and clouds etc.
What was the other hard drive (not boot c) called? And where do I get it? I think I'll try it out...
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#17 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 3:37 PM
As a rule of thumb (for speedy loading) CC should be half or less of installed RAM. For example: 2G RAM -> CC should be 1G or less. Processor speed also plays a part in the equation.

Some people play with over 15G of CC...and know (and settle for) the fact that their loading time is going to be a half hour or more.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
#18 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 4:06 PM
It may not necessarily be your game that slows things down, although having quite a lot of downloads or downloads taking up quite a bit of memory does help, try and cut down on that (I said try, you don't have to if you don't want to).
I haven't a clue what Bluewater is but I am sure those townies would go as they do when you delete a Downtown

If you, on your desktop, click Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click on the tab Processes and close all of the unecessary programs that are running, this may increase the speed, it does for me (but I have AOL which really has messed up my computer).
Hope that helped, but considering all of those ^ replies, mine probably wasn't needed but you never know ^_^
Inventor
#19 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 4:13 PM
You can easily recognise (most of your stuff, if it is properly named and mapped) with Clean Installer. Great tool to sort out your DL-folder.

You can download it here: Clean Installer
Also, read the manual for installing : manual and the quick start-guide here
will help you with sorting out your downloads folder.

In this thread is a nice talk going on about how to organise your DL-folder, I think that might come in usefull for you too.

Hope this helps.. good luck.
Scholar
#20 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 4:19 PM
Also, Gunmod's Camera helps slow the game seeing as how my PC has to process all the other stuff that is out there. Also don't add a lot of Neighborhood junk it slows the game even more.
#21 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 12:20 AM
I would like some help on the same issue.

My system characteristics are:
2 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce FX 5500 [Graphic Card]
Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz [Processor]

I have installed The Sims 2, Seasons, Apartment Life, Family Fun Stuff, Glamour Life Stuff, IKEA Home Stuff, Kitchen & Bath Interior Design and Mansion & Garden Stuff.

If I smoothen the edges of the game (furniture), the game starts to play veeeeeery slow, in order to play it, I have to put them to the opposite. Also, I notice that the Veronaville neighbourhood plays slightly faster than the other ones. Is my graphic card the problem?
Scholar
#22 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 12:24 AM
Probably just too many expansions and stuff for your computer to handle, and then, adding high graphics and smooth edges are going to only weigh your system down more. Then, if you have any thing else large on your computer, or lots of smaller sized files, it's going to just max out your system.

You could try to unsmooth edges and turn off any unneccessary background tasks while playing, including any Anti-Virus program.

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
#23 Old 23rd Apr 2009 at 12:02 AM
I can't wait until I finish my movie making series!! I NEED to clean out my downloads folder in order to gain back all of those memories of my newbie gameplay times. I just can't delete my CC, or else I will have to delete my series. (Which would be the 3rd time I've done that!) Ugh! I must devise a plan.

Thanks guys for your help. I've already started cleaning out my computer, and desktop. I moved all my pictures onto a CD/DVD file. And deleted them off my computer. So technically I have my pictures still. I just need to run a spyware scan, and then finish up that darn series, and I'll be done!
Scholar
#24 Old 23rd Apr 2009 at 4:42 AM
Does having alot of pictures in the storytelling folders slow down the game too? Is it recommend to delete some?
Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Apr 2009 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
Does having alot of pictures in the storytelling folders slow down the game too? Is it recommend to delete some?

I don'tthink it slows down your game that much. You can place them in a different folder than your simsfolder. In that case you still have them and they are not in the simsgame anymore.
Page 1 of 2