Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 4:37 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 20th Jul 2024 at 9:55 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default Custom eye deletion nitty gritty
I have WAY too many custom eye colors in my game, to the point where it's becoming tiresome for me to scroll through all of them when I'm making Sims. I recently found a set that I think I can safely use for both original eyes and contact lens accessories, to cover all the bases, so I'm thinking of trashing most of my other ones. My question is: when you dump custom eye colors, what do your already extant sims revert to? Maxis original, I'm assuming, but which color? Is it totally random, or are custom eyes pinned to one of the Maxis original colors?

My beard grows to my toes;
I never wears no clothes;
I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
And down the road I goes. -Shel Silverstein
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 5:06 PM
They revert to the eye color that's painted on their skin (essentially no eyes).

Best way to deal with it would be to set them up with new eyes or change to defaults in SimPE, but if you don't have that option (Mac version?) then contacts is probably the best way. Just be warned that the "no eyes" setting will be transferred to their kids, so you may not want them to continue having kids after removing eyes.

I also don't think they revert to the CC eyes if you put them back in. CAS items don't tend to do so, especially if the lot or sims have at some point been saved in a new CC state.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 7:00 PM
Yeah, he's on Mac, so no SimPE.

I wonder if there's a way to find out which eyes are being used.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I wonder if there's a way to find out which eyes are being used.

One way is to find the eyes in Bodyshop, based on looks and/or tooltip - if the name isn't already clear from this, package a sim with Bodyshop using the eyes. You should be able to find the files in your Downloads folder. I'm not sure if the default installer or whichever Sims2pack installer works for a Mac is any good at this, though - it seems the default installer often renames files to random strings, which wouldn't be any helpful with this.

For ingame sims, the best way is to extract with SimPE and then clone+pack with Bodyshop to see the CC they come with, but that's not easy with a Mac (it's possible, but requires a lot of workarounds).
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 9:55 PM
hmmm... sounds like I'm better off leaving the eyes where they are, or maybe just get rid of the ones I know I HAVEN'T used. . Fortunately, I really have only used custom ones from a couple of creators, and the eye files are all together in one subfolder of my downloads. Of course, if the kids ended up with no eyes, I could always fix it with a "Gussy Up" trip to the contact-lens store. Okay, then. Thanks for the info!

OR... (DUH) change all my existing Sims over to my newfound contact lenses, and THEN trash the multitudes of unused and undesired package files. (Sometimes I can't see the obvious solutions). THAT makes a lot more sense.

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Jul 2024 at 10:28 PM
Too bad most of the solutions to this pretty much require either SimPE or some other program that isn't Mac-friendly.

I'm not entirely sure if Whoward's programs work with a Mac, but if they are, his latest ones could potentially help you do a texture swap for the eyes (normally I'd use SimPE for this). Not entirely sure if any of them have this function, though (kind of doubt it) - https://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/Notes/Home.html

You can do a backup of the neighborhood, and first remove the eyes you're fairly sure of, then test the rest of them gradually to see which ones you for sure can remove. When you've figured out which ones are used in your game, you can swap for the backup. That way you can keep only the eyes used currently by your game, while no sims get borked eyes (and put contacts on the ones you want to change eyes for). Gives less trouble with genetics for the kids. You can spawn in sims on a lot to look at their eyes, instead of having to visit lots.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Too bad most of the solutions to this pretty much require either SimPE or some other program that isn't Mac-friendly.

I'm not entirely sure if Whoward's programs work with a Mac, but if they are, his latest ones could potentially help you do a texture swap for the eyes (normally I'd use SimPE for this). Not entirely sure if any of them have this function, though (kind of doubt it) - https://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/Notes/Home.html

The ones from that site that I've looked at before have all turned out to be .exe file installers, and so no use to me, unforch.
I was mistaken about all my eye files being grouped together; turns out I'm gonna have to do a bit of digging through my "Bodyshop" subfolder to find them. I've already deleted a few that I thought were cool, but have never actually used. I know by name the ones I tend to use all the time, so as long as I don't trash any of those, I think I'm safe. They're only very small files... just a lot of them.

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,