Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#1776 Old 8th Feb 2024 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I'm not opposed to the concept. I really like the idea of being able to set up a schedule for eating and sleeping! It feels a lot more natural and fitting for a life sim compared to depleting need bars based on actions like a mana bar in an MMO. I actually like the gameplay loop the needs bars create in the Sims 2 though so... dunno.

But again with the huge interface--colored and shaking no less--conveying this information? I'd much rather needs be shown via the para whether that's through thought bubbles and animations like the Sims 2 uses or some other clever visual representation. I absolutely hate the nagging task list of "thoughts" queued up on screen. So solid concept that could be a really refreshing change but, like everything else, it's going to depend on the execution.

That's true. With the scheduling system, basic needs like eating and using the potty won't be that big of a deal normally. They'll hopefully be smart enough to do that on their own. We saw from the death video that they will do the hand on the stomach thing at least if they're feeling hungry so I imagine there will be others like if they need to pee or if they're bored.

I watched someone else's thoughts on this matter and they also hated the "nagging" feeling the notifications are. Could it be because they are notifications? Would symbols you hover over be better maybe? Like just a toilet icon popping up over their head more and more urgently as time goes on. Like.... Sandman from Rise of the Guardians (who I love more and more as the years go by for some reason. he's so wholesome) Essentially, he doesn't speak. Instead, sand appears above his head like pictograph.

The sims does this as well of course, but maybe Paralives can take the concept further. I may be a webdev but UI has never been my strong suit so eh.
Advertisement
Theorist
#1777 Old 8th Feb 2024 at 7:12 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 9th Feb 2024 at 11:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by kirabook
I watched someone else's thoughts on this matter and they also hated the "nagging" feeling the notifications are. Could it be because they are notifications? Would symbols you hover over be better maybe? Like just a toilet icon popping up over their head more and more urgently as time goes on. Like.... Sandman from Rise of the Guardians (who I love more and more as the years go by for some reason. he's so wholesome) Essentially, he doesn't speak. Instead, sand appears above his head like pictograph.

That's adorable! I do like that!

I think using symbols like you said instead of text notifications could be really good. Maybe have thoughts flit briefly over the para and then have a small icon for each thought appear down on the task bar near the speed controls? They'd be there and you could hover over the icon to read their thoughts if you needed to but I think it'd be much more discreet and easier for the player to respond at their own pace. Of course urgent messages could/should be treated differently.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#1778 Old 9th Feb 2024 at 3:45 PM
I did some more thinking on this and yeah, maybe a thought bubble system could work. Doesn't need the appearance of actual thought bubbles ala the Sims but just artistic pictographs of some sort. As a need or want becomes more urgent, it appears more and more above their head. Coupled with a character animation to match.

So for example, if they're just a little hungry, it pops up over their head only occasionally or once when you select them (and then fade away). But as they get hungrier and hungrier, they start rubbing their stomach or maybe you even hear their stomach growling and then above their head, the pictograph starts popping up way more often. Like every couple minutes instead of once every blue moon.

Still not sure about where it would be in the UI though. Hm
Inventor
#1779 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 3:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2KVWwTA024
Some new information or, better, clarification, especially on social (inter)actions. They were the weakest point of The Sims games so I think they are definitely going in the right direction.

Still hate "Para(s)", though.
Field Researcher
#1780 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 4:16 PM
The full name is parafolk. The nickname is para(s) or folk(s).
Lab Assistant
#1781 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 4:49 PM
Everything about the personality system sounds so interesting on paper, but how does it actually work when there is no pause in the gameplay? For example, how does the gloomy vibe feel different from the jester vibe? How do the vibes work when combined with the social perks? It might be too early for the team to show us that, but I am seriously intrigued and especially when the personality system is combined with relationship mechanics, such as relationship labels. Honestly, if this is done right, our parafolk will behave so different from each other, which is great.
Field Researcher
#1782 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 5:02 PM
There is a pause? I mean, they don't show it often because they really like showing off activately playing the game while in build/buy mode. Or maybe I missed the update of no pausing? Or you mean something else.
Inventor
#1783 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 6:22 PM
The full name is parafolk. The nickname is para(s) or folk(s).

"Parafolk" is actually quite good characterization of what little people are, but it still sounds bad, at least to me. "Para" alone does not mean anything and "folk" is plural, interchangeable with "folks". You can't say "John is a folk". You can say "John and Mary are folk(s)", but that really makes sense only if you add "my".

OK, I know this is not really important; it's just my pet peeve with this game.
Lab Assistant
#1784 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 7:38 PM
There is a pause? I mean, they don't show it often because they really like showing off activately playing the game while in build/buy mode. Or maybe I missed the update of no pausing? Or you mean something else.

They stated that in the roadmap. When I was looking through the roadmap, it was under the done category. I think the correct words are: control the time or pause it.
Mad Poster
#1785 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
"Parafolk" is actually quite good characterization of what little people are, but it still sounds bad, at least to me. "Para" alone does not mean anything and "folk" is plural, interchangeable with "folks". You can't say "John is a folk". You can say "John and Mary are folk(s)", but that really makes sense only if you add "my".

I keep wondering about what the characters will end up being called in LBY? I think I heard something at one time that was very odd to me.
Mad Poster
#1786 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 11:20 PM
Agents?

I didn’t really even notice all the negative ones like mean spirited, grouchy or evil. Will we even get something to sinister/cynical-traited person, or are we going LBY route where anything remotely rude is controversial to add?

I don’t wanna conclude smth to soon, but knowing the game’s mood being too therapeutic soothing and that I didn’t notice any stock personality attribute of being mean or performing mean interactions do makes me wonder if stuff like insults or fights in social situations/interactions be even included

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1787 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I keep wondering about what the characters will end up being called in LBY? I think I heard something at one time that was very odd to me.

Rod refers to them as 'humans or whatever you like to call them'; I like to call them Youmans!
Top Secret Researcher
#1788 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 12:57 AM

para- means similar, related to, alongside, closely resembling, almost

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/para

para-in the etymological dictionary

So, they are similar to 'folk'. Similar to people. It's really just another word for 'simile'.
Inventor
#1789 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee

Looby/Loobies?
Scholar
#1790 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 4:05 AM
Characters.
Mad Poster
#1791 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 8:58 PM
Looby/Loobies?

Loobies sounds like much like the word— you know… well…. frankly… R rated.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Inventor
#1792 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Loobies sounds like much like the word— you know… well…. frankly… R rated.

LOL - that did not occur to me. It's just LBY combined with oo, and if pronounced (especially plural, but without "s") it means the opposite to anything R in my language. (Wake up your inner detective.)
Top Secret Researcher
#1793 Old 20th Feb 2024 at 6:43 PM
Animation Showcase. Originally on Patreon February 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgeO9UkfFI
Mad Poster
#1794 Old 20th Feb 2024 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Animation Showcase. Originally on Patreon February 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgeO9UkfFI

I think some are well done. Some a bit off. But overall I like.
Theorist
#1795 Old 21st Feb 2024 at 5:01 AM
"folk" is plural, interchangeable with "folks". You can't say "John is a folk".

Tell that to the Clanfolk community who refer to their characters as "'folk"
Inventor
#1796 Old 21st Feb 2024 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Tell that to the Clanfolk community who refer to their characters as "'folk"

I noticed that when I played the demo (BTW, seems like a good game, just not my type) but I decided I can't preach all over the place.
Top Secret Researcher
#1797 Old 23rd Feb 2024 at 3:04 PM
A short showcase for the multi-select tool: one last bathroom trip before leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/J4xh39J-6OI
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#1798 Old 23rd Feb 2024 at 3:52 PM
WELL WHERE'S THE FUN IN THAT? The Sims was all about bathroom rage!
Just kidding, that's really cool, very smooth!
Forum Resident
#1799 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
A short showcase for the multi-select tool: one last bathroom trip before leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/J4xh39J-6OI

I'm glad they are giving good features to multiple selection!! ^^ This is what I was referring to when I said that it seemed like a very good idea and could lead to group animations or dynamics of this type! ^^
Inventor
#1800 Old 29th Feb 2024 at 9:49 PM
Different guitar levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pykasQPNpOE
Not terribly important but proves their attention to detail. Also, that they are willing to cooperate with professionals when needed. Progressing slowly but efficiently.
Page 72 of 73